Mind critiquing my/sharing your pack bait recipe?

Tmall

Hey guys,

Been fishing carp for 3 years now. My 1st year was by far the best. And all I did was throw out a can of corn and bait a hair rig and cast in the middle of it.

I started fishing with some guys who used a feeder and packbait and when we'd fish together, I wouldn't catch anything and they would. So I converted. And I don't really catch as many fish as before.

My recipe is about 1lb of oats, 1  can of corn, a package of jello, and about a cup of flour/brown sugar.

How does that sound? Anything I should add or remove?

That mix should work. Not really sure one mix is better than another. 
my mix is oats, canned corn, cream corn and usually some crushed boilie and I usually add some flavoring (pineapple). 

my chum is corn, boilies ,hemp seed, chick peas, tiger nuts and some flavoring. 

post some pics if you catch any. 

24E639E2-3B07-4BA9-97BA-80AFACCADF6D.jpeg

03605A66-A563-4199-96CA-D06332E7E448.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tmall said:

I started fishing with some guys who used a feeder and packbait and when we'd fish together, I wouldn't catch anything and they would. So I converted. And I don't really catch as many fish as before.

Try going back to no packbait. I notice my catch rates are better when using packbait.  I stopped for two seasons (being lazy) and noticed my catches significantly decreased. 

When I first started using pack bait ( oats , cream corn , pineapple, hot sauce ) with corn puffs (no longer available) I did very well . The corn puffs are made for human consumption and have very little taste or scent , and they float and become very soft quickly and stay on the hook . So I used can corn or corn puffs until the gobies appear .....then I change to using the hair rigs with maize which I mix with the pack baits (chum) . When carp are feeding I think they would eat anything that we eat . I don't see many carpers using worms but over many years going to the 1950's, I have seen many carp taken on worms . they would probably take mashed minnows too , lots of scent there ! 

and I have been using barbless hooks , only lost one carp so far as the hook came out while netting it ......need to get me a real  foldable carp net !

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

I’d use them but there too many bi catches. 

And the gobies love worms , minnows ect . That's when the maize & rubber corn on the hair works best for me . I have caught a few carp on the mini yellow marshmellows too. It looks like corn and floats .   I may take a drive and snoop around a bit after lunch today ....need to pick up some suds.....

Thanks fellas. I'm hoping to break the 20lb mark this year. I usually fish the welland river near wellandport, but its been so dirty and cold this year that I feel like I've been wasting my time so far.

I've only managed to catch 3 this year with the biggest being a 12 -13 lber. 

I live relatively close to the rec canal, but I haven't caught anything out of there except for when I'm ice fishing so I've mostly given up on it.

Tmall , the deep rec.canal should have some big carp , but I don't know where to go for the best chance of catching them . Maybe the area near ES Fox near the  canal would be a good spot to catch them. It's very deep there and no ships passing by to spook them . It looks like a good spot to give it a go .

1 hour ago, Tmall said:

I've only managed to catch 3 this year with the biggest being a 12 -13 lber. 

Bigger than the ones I’ve caught this year. Just keep at it. Can’t catch the sitting on the couch. 
If you have a spot you fish often you can even start baiting it. Even if you’re not fishing just stop by and throw some corn In.