Greetings NFN

Hi everyone,

I'm thrilled to be back here on NFN. Some of you may remember me from years ago when I was an active member, and I'm excited to reconnect with the community.

From my earliest memories, I've always been drawn to water and the mysteries it holds beneath its surface. Fishing has been a constant passion of mine, starting from my childhood days exploring aquariums and catching frogs. Those early experiences led to unforgettable moments on the water with my family, sparking a lifelong love affair with fishing.

Through the highs and lows of life, fishing has remained my anchor. Even during challenging times in the '90s and early 2000s, including struggles with addiction and personal turmoil, fishing provided solace and a sense of purpose.

My introduction to carp fishing was a game-changer. A friend took me to the Niagara Whirlpool, where I landed my first common carp—a thrilling experience that ignited my passion. From there, I delved into the world of carp angling, learning new tactics and techniques that enhanced my fishing skills.

Beyond the thrill of the catch, my passion extends to mental health awareness and environmental stewardship. These aren't just aspects of my fishing life; they're integral to who I am. In my work and personal life, I'm dedicated to raising awareness about mental health issues and promoting practices like Leave No Trace.

Through my involvement with the Canadian Carp Society, I've found a community that shares my values and passion for angling. Together, we're making a difference not just on the water, but in our broader communities as well.

I'm excited to reconnect with old friends and make new connections here on NFN. Keep an eye out for my upcoming posts about mental health and environmental conservation—I hope they spark meaningful conversations and inspire positive change.

Tight lines or slack lines, good luck, and happy fishing!

- Kevin

Great intro. Kevin , and I was 'hooked' on carp fishing over decade ago . The Niagara River is a great carp fishing spot and it's a challenge to bank them at the Whirlpool in that current . A clean environment means healthier fish and better fishing days for all of us .   :Gonefishing:

BTW ,that's a 'mirror' carp in my avatar .  🙂

Thanks gentleman. 

@Smerchly

Carp fishing is my passion sir! And yes the Niagara River and the whirlpool are challenging waters to fish. I have spent time in the whirlpool but haven't been in a few years. I do however spend some time on the Upper Niagara these days. There are some incredible fish that have been caught there. Every area is unique in it's own way and always presents it's  set of challenges. Carp are able to be caught 12 months a year in the Upper Niagara which is incredible if you put the time in. Any carp fishing is a buzz whether it be at Martindale Pond or Lake Ontario, it is always a very rewarding experience. 

And it was good to meet you in person last Saturday at the SCGFA spring clean-up. You are a wealth of knowledge and a still a very active member here on NFN! 

Of course I gave you alike on that post !   B)  Lake Erie and Lake Ontario carp have access to the Niagara river and inland waters as well . Many carp follow the ships through the Welland Ship Canal and access many small bodies of water as well, like the Lake Gibson/Moodie chain of lakes . We are fortunate to have many spots to choose for a days fishing .

There's a good chance of hooking a mirror carp and a chance of either a Buffalo or big grass carp in these waters . It was a pleasure meeting you too as it was when I met Lorne Morley (RIP) as we had some memorial carp sessions . I have yet to slime up my new carp net that Tyler purchased for me ,but soon......:Gonefishing:

I would be honoured to have you and Tyler join me sometime on the bank. The carp fishing in Canada is so much more than The St. Lawrence River. We are truly spoiled in Niagara with so much opportunity and an abundance of wild fish that have never seen a hook!

There are some amazing mirrors that have been captured in Southern Ontario. I hope to see some beauties being posted in the coming years here on NFN.

Look at these 2 from a few years back. Caught 20 minutes apart.

received_305322644544721 (1).jpeg

received_788014675192164 (2).jpeg

15 minutes ago, The Mindful Angler said:

I would be honoured to have you and Tyler join me sometime on the bank. The carp fishing in Canada is so much more than The St. Lawrence River. We are truly spoiled in Niagara with so much opportunity and an abundance of wild fish that have never seen a hook!

There are some amazing mirrors that have been captured in Southern Ontario. I hope to see some beauties being posted in the coming years here on NFN.

Look at these 2 from a few years back. Caught 20 minutes apart.

received_305322644544721 (1).jpeg

received_788014675192164 (2).jpeg

Epic fish 

Those mirrors are bruisers !  They look to be in the 30 lb range and I noticed your finger hold on them is exactly the same 

I also noticed that one of your secrets is wearing camo jeans .  A picture  can reveal some secret info sometimes . ☺️

I have caught 4 mirror carp over many years but none come close to those fatties !  Congrats !

20 hours ago, smerchly said:

Those mirrors are bruisers !  They look to be in the 30 lb range and I noticed your finger hold on them is exactly the same 

I also noticed that one of your secrets is wearing camo jeans .  A picture  can reveal some secret info sometimes . ☺️

I have caught 4 mirror carp over many years but none come close to those fatties !  Congrats !

The leathery one with not many scales was 21 lbs. The fully scaled mirror I forgot to weigh in all the excitement. We fished an entire day in cold and windy conditions in early April. The first fish came and we were in such disbelief that we caught, not to mention the fact on how it looked. When the 2nd fish hit, and we realized it was another mirror, caught on the same bait, from the same location, in all the excitement and photographs we forgot to weigh it! I believe somewhere between 18 - 20 lbs it would have been. 

I'm lucky to remember yesterday Scott , most of my thousands of photos were taken with a pocket camera which all info on the photos are filed with each picture, if the camera date setting and time of day are correct . Sometimes I forgot to change the time zone . But you never forget the excitement of the catch !   🚀