bailey's bridge

Guest cplummer

Guest cplummer

went to baileys nov 4th at midnight only 2 cars there and plenty of salmon there we had a few on landed 2...i'm still having a heck of a time explaining to my brother which end is the mouth but we had fun..

cliff :)

Guest GrimsbyAl

I was down there last Saturday showing the father inlaw around, he is up from Cape Breaton. I/we could not believe the number of people snagging fish. The father inlaw asked one guy what he was doing with the fish after he gets one, the guy said " I'm doing it for the sport of it" come on, the creek is 10 feet wide and 2 feet deep and your snagging them. Can some one tell me where the sport is?

Guest cplummer

yeah it's pretty sad.. i fish the end of the marsh you don't snag many at all there but if you fish close to the road people even go through there with chest waders on how sick is that? i always say something to those type they never reply cause i'd throw them in and see how they like being hooked by their body parts :-)

cliff

I agree with you guys completely. Any regulars know this is a soft spot for me. But cplummer, your threatening bothers me. We have enough inbred behaviour when the salmon come in, you saw it yourself. As you know the dicussion about Port D got pretty heated about the boats verses the shore anglers. Salmon season has been spoiled for me and I'm sure for others also because of the tension. I think if we all did our part to let those morons in waders know that they're morons and then just continue on to enjoy ourselves, the pleasure aspect of the sport can be saved. Throwing someone in the water is the wrong approach although I know the right thing to do (call the MNR) has no effect because they're under staffed.

Take it with a grain of salt and enjoy your day of fishing.

No disrespect intended, :) just trying avoid another incredibly idiotic heated debate. :)

Well, there's more sport in snagging than what i watched a guy do last week.... Salmon was resting in the "current", his face barely covered, guy walks up to it with a net and net 'em and kept 'em..... while fishing that day i ended up foul hooking into 2 fish, oh wait, i didn't hook them i got wrapped around the treble hooks that were already in their fins :-?

I've never seen it that bad down there, I can now fully appreciate what you were saying a while back Chilli.... it's the first year in a couple i've been down there and it's just miserable fishing....

Again tho, i usually walk upstream and find a spot..... lucky to see 1 person in the entire day of fishing... and the fish are more cooperative 'cause people aren't chasing them all over the place....

Chilli- oughta head down to the Beacon sometime.... way less stressful there than anywhere.... of coure the browns/bows are the only thing in there right now :)

Guest cplummer

lol john i can't believe you remembered that !!!! was fishing then came back to the car some drunk was napping in my back seat !! ah chilli those threats as you call them are just a way of venting anger not meaning to scare you (just the guilty wader guys)..but then again why would they be on an angling site??????? i'm actually a very mild guy compared to a few fishing friends................

---------------------------J <*(((>< FISH ON

I vouch for that. You are a mild and timid man. As for all the snaggers at Baileys where is the MNR ? Oh thats right the hunt is on much more important. Maybe they need to do what they did several years back and have a blitz. I remember going down there to find a roadway full of NRP

and MNR guys handing out tickets anything from fishing without a license to drinking in a public place. I think i was with you cliff when this took place . Why don't they just turn this place into a fish sanctuary or just close it from the train tressel bridge back lets say from Sept 30 to opening of trout season.

Guest cplummer

That sounds like a grand idea john . closing it from the rail would stop most of the poaching we have there.You know that fishing at the end of the marsh pretty much stops the snagging cause i caught quite a few this year from there and not one was snagged !!! it's the chasing them with waders that should be stopped.All i did was call the dude an idiot cause it's people like that we don't need.My son asked me why he was fishing like that....so hard to explain to a 13 year old that not all of us fish fair and for fun...

cliff

Guest cplummer
do the fish go past the bridge... towards the camp ground or is it better to get them (fish for them) north of the bridge?

2452[/snapback]

as of right now the fish can only make it up as far as the campground due to low water levels and the salmon are pretty much stuck there..

cliff

You know what really turns my crank. These jokers that decide to sit under that bridge and cast a lure bouncing this sucker off of rocks and hoping that a fish will run into their lines. This is one of the reasons why I don't bring my kids down I avoid the whole situation. The one time I asked this fellow what he was doing. He had a big 3/4 ounce cleo ,and on each barb of the hook he had placed a roe bag plus a mini marshmallow. I guess this must of been his version of a suspended lure.lol. So any way, once I asked him what he was doing . He told me he was "Yanking" . We tried to make heads or tails on this one but I think the CO at that time (Stephan) made it al lot clearer to us when he dragged this guy out of their . I guess the MNR. was "Yanking" that day also.

Well I have fished baileys only a handful of times - none in the last 3 -4 years. I agree after the marsh area, its tough to legimately hook into a salmon, but it can be done. 5 years ago I nailed one of my biggest salmon alltime (35lbs+) past baileys bridge, it did take a small yarn fly in the mouth.

Also Fish-n-Nut, yes the shotgun hunt week is this week and yes considering the vast amount of area that the MNR has in this district it is a much bigger priority.

Guest Steelheader

I once had a guy accuse me of snagging during Steelhead season because I was bouncing bottom and not using a float, even though I was using a #12 hook and lead 2' up the leader. Had the same thing when using spinners on a river that everyone else was drifting roe. I was catching steelies, but people didn't like that, because it was unorthodox. So I'm usually pretty careful about accusing people.

That being said, we can all pretty much tell the snaggers from the anglers by their behavior. I can understand the MNR being stretched pretty thin with hunting being on.

I certainly don't want to be a policeman every time I go fishing, but I think that if we all said something to people who were doing this crap it would apply a lot of social pressure and act as a deterrant. It wouldn't stop everyone, but most people will stop or move on when confronted. Most people don't like to be called out on their illegal behavior, and they'll stop if we say something. If we stay quiet, it lets people feel like it's not such a big deal.

Remind me not to use spinners when cplummer is around! :P

Guest bluenose

What are the regulations for Bailey's Bridge? It's above the QEW, so aren't the fish out of season?

That's my interpretation of the MNR Fishining Regs.

Regards

What are the regulations for Bailey's Bridge?  It's above the QEW, so aren't the fish out of season?

That's my interpretation of the MNR Fishining Regs.

Regards

2479[/snapback]

The pacific salmon (chinooks) are in season all year long.... above the QEW included, i don't think there's anywhere in div 3 they're outta season.... everything else is outta season tho (salmon and trout wise) :P

trying to remember - did a co-op with the MNR 5 years ago - i believe they have 3 maybe 4 full time CO's and a very large area to patrol, Niag river, Lake O up to Hamilton, Lake erie to Port Matland i think and all the land in between i think. This is busiest time of year for them with lots of hunting going on, plus the trout/salmon runs, plus there regular other duties.....

I remember there were only three after a lay off in the Bob Ray era.

Now I'm starting to petition the MNR on this fish ladder thingy but you know I think this is a much better cause. Although I would like to see the sanctuary apply to the trout grounds. I think the twenty is the closest thing to ideal spawning grounds that the salmon have. Would somebody like to contact the MNR with this concept. You can get a free online petition at petitiononline.com and I will sign it. Ban fishing in the twenty from Sept30 till Spring rainbow opener. I'm there!

Naw, it would never happen anyway. They don't really give a rat about the salmon. That's why it goes on. They care about the related industry $ but thats not affected by the wantaby fishermen with the treble hooks. It was only a rattle Tommy :huh: . Not meant to be taken seriously :dunno: . It was almost a rant :lol: . go back and read it like it's coming from a drunken madman :blink:

On a more serious note though, I do think a call for more MNR officers is a good idea. :lol: You talk to your local MPP about that don't you? :dunno:

Im still trying to comprehend how there is sport in foul hooking a salmon .....

I think they should hit port dalhousie up once a week ....

but unfortunately they do have much land to cover including parts of erie where the fish are more eatable as opposed to the L. Ontario fish.

Guest Longshank

Fellas.....not to condone any type of illegal fishing etc.

But maybe look at it this way........

Lake Ontario salmon at BEST, may have a 3% spawning success

It's primarily a put and take fishery

The salmon being discussed.all of them die naturally in any case

ergo........low priority for MNR to deal with givern the low numbers of officers

Shank :huh:

Guest GrimsbyAl

Maybe those spawning % would go up if we let the fish do what they are trying to do. I don't know about you all but I know I would get pretty stressed if someone was hooking me in the back while I'm getting my grove on.

Im still trying to comprehend how there is sport in foul hooking a salmon .....

2518[/snapback]

foul hooking or snagging?..... i always think of foul hooking as something someone who's fishing legally does- feels like you have a hit/fish on, set the hook and unfortunately it's not in the mouth.... snagging, well, that's self explanitory :huh:

Archived