PORT FISHERMANS PIER

ROB MCINTOSH

I also can't understand what the heck are all these people doing with all of this roe. I run a charter business and I don't use half the roe that some of these local yokols do. I SAY BAN THE STUFF!

2869[/snapback]

I think fishing from a charter boat is a little different then fishing from shore. Roe will definately give you an advantage.

I think Perch is right also. Does the book not say that if you are unclear on something to call the MNR. Well it sounds like we are unclear about this so maby make the call yourself to make sure.

Also, leaving a fish out of water long enough to let it start spurting it's eggs is not much better than kicking it back in. It's spurting it's eggs because of the stress of both being captive out of it's enviroment and the pressure of it's own weight not being bouyant in the water. If you are sport fishing then knowing how to handle a fish and live release it is more important to know then is how to hook it in the first place!

I think everyone needs to use a little common sense and have respect for the fish over anything else. If you are willing to kill a fish for it's eggs, I suggest you purchase a smoker or aquire a taste for that fish.

Guest Steelheader

I've seen lots of fish landed at port that are "loose", that is, their eggs come out without provocation (sometimes immediately!) and guys collect a few before putting the fish back.

If that's illegal, then the MNR isn't making much effort to advise us of that. I thought I had read the regs pretty thoroughly, and I didn't realize they were just a "summary".

To be honest, I don't even like eating fish. Doesn't anyone think it's odd that it's considered better to catch a fish, take its eggs, kill and eat it, than to catch a fish, catch a handful of eggs that are falling out and then put the fish back gently to spawn and live for several more years?

It's been 10 years since I've taken roe from a fish. But if I'm going to take roe, I'd rather take it from a fish that will survive than kill a fish just for its eggs and then reluctantly eat the meat. That's just my personal feeling (I'm not jumping on people who keep their limit).

That being said, I can understand perhaps why this might be illegal - it keeps people from snagging and milking fish and putting them back, thus stocking up on huge amounts of roe, depleting our resources, but getting around the posession limits.

Just some thoughts...but I'll tell you what - if they decided to ban the use of roe, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I've caught more 10x more steelies on yarn and Mepps spinners than roe.

Chili I would have to disagree with you on the part of roe giving you the advantage . First of all even though I do charter I do alot of my fishing of shore and have caught my fair shareof fish on artificials. BC is strictly artificial and I have had the the chance of going their this past summer. Fishing strictly with corkies we limited out every day.

Steelheader taking roe which a fish has given to you is not a felony . Its when these guys purposely milk a fisk until its eyeballs are ready to pop and the blood that you see in your bucket is whats left of its internal organs . Thats whats illegal.

Guest Steelheader
Steelheader taking roe which a fish has given to you is not a felony . Its when these guys purposely milk a fisk until its eyeballs are ready to pop and the blood that you see in your bucket is whats left of its internal organs . Thats whats illegal.

2881[/snapback]

Well that's what I assumed, but others here are claiming the MNR considers it illegal.

I see it done on the wall all the time, and nobody makes a stink about it; I assumed it was a commonly accepted practice. Not like that Bulgarian guy who was trying to keep his snagged fish - he sure got an earful (and a fistful too, I hear) :)

Everybody is guilty of giving a little squeeze to the odd fish to get some of the gold. But I found out one year while at a seminar about milking fish for their roe. It would be just as easy to bring the fish home . As for the clown yah. he got his just cause. I think next time I will be bringing my combat gear LOL.

Guest Steelheader

Perchman and others:

I found this Q&A at http://www.zoo.utoronto.ca/askMNR/mnrfaqfish.html by an MNR official which is related to our issue here:

"Question 125:

Regarding the collection of trout/salmon roe for personal use as bait. Is it legal to partially "strip" a female salmon or trout of roe then return the fish to the river, providing the fish has been caught legally? It seems that this activity would fall under molesting or harrassing the fish but the alternative, killing the fish for the eggs, seems even worse.

Asked June 28/00

Answer from the MNR

There is nothing in the Fisheries Act or the Ontario Fishery Regulations which prohibits this particular activity. Personally, if I was taken out of my natural elements and stripped of my eggs, chances are I would consider myself molested!! On the other hand, there is no provision in the law with regard to molesting or harassing fish. However, you should be aware that chances are that such a fish, after the handling is likely going to die anyway.

That being said, eggs, by definition, are fish. While we have never limited the number of roe sacs which one may possess from legally taken fish, when you handle the fish as you have indicated that fish is deemed to be 'captured and retained'. Therefore each fish that you perform this activity upon would be considered part of your daily limit."

So it seems either it isn't illegal, or we're getting conflicting answers from MNR officials. Either way, I don't think anyone's going to get ticketed for collecting a few loose eggs dropping from a hen now and then.

Guest Gill Finigan
i talked to a few guys that were selling roe to tackle shops...didn't name which ones of course....one guy said... "it's my drinking money man...." :wacko:

2870[/snapback]

It's illegal to sell roe to a tackle shop and for the shop to buy it. Roe for resale must be from a fish farm not wild fish.

I agree that artificials can be as productive as roe. Gotta love the fell of a big steelies smashing a spinner. It's a matter of confidence of the bait your using. If you don't believe a bait will work the concentration on presenting the bait properly gets lost.

Guest pat kirby

As the owner of a bait & tackle shop, I know that it is illegal to sell Angler caught spawn of any type, Hatchery spawn that is cured is the only way we are allowed to sell it, Yes I have been offered salmon and rainbow spawn, but why would I risk my bait license for a few dollars, I have heard that other stores follow the illegal practice.

As for the partial taking of eggs, I was told by the MNR that this is not a legal practice, that is to take and release, It has to do with the posession limit, as was mentioned in an earlier post. You are posessing part of the fish, so it counts as part of your catch. I was also told that the remaining eggs would be aborted.

My question is this, why release 1 fish but take 100's of the potental off spring. It sounds to me like a bit of a contradiction. After all, we hear lots of complaints about depleating fish stocks.

Hatchery spawn works great, just ask my customers and it doesn't affect the natural process.

Yep it cost a few bucks, but not nearly as much as the gas we spend or the coffee we drink. Did you know that from 1oz of rainbow spawn you can tie 2 1/2 dozen floating bags, my 2 or 3 cents worth. Good Luck Pat

Guest bigfish1965

There is a section of the federal fisheries laws that pertain to the harrassment of fish. But even after reading this, I cannot find anything that would support a charge. If the fish is out of season, the roe would be illegal since you are in possession of part of the fish.

Certainly no one would be charged for milking a loose chinook hen, but if they found you doing it to rainbows, you'd better have all your ducks in a row since they may look till they find something.

Again, it is not worth a CO risking his credibility in a court room to try and lay borderline charges. These guys face the same JP's every week and if they get a rep as trigger happy with the citation book, it makes larger cases harder to win.

COMON GUY'S: I think you all know where I was coming from on my statement on taking A cup of roe then letting the fish go, at this time of year alot of fish are loose so I don't see a problem with it I don't condone it but if they fall out put a cup under , better in the cup than on the ground to step in and feed the sh%# hawks.My post was I don't like to see sqeezzing the sh#@ out of the fish to get the eggs and then kick the fish back in the water THAT I DON'T LIKE TO SEE, on another post bigfish said something about education on how to handle fish, yes I agree but most guys that are always down there we'll call them regular angler's are the one's to watch on how they handle the fish, it seems to be the one's we never seen before are the one's mishandleing the fish ,so the regulars should say something to the newbe on how to handle them without getting into a fistycuffs over fishing and then when the newbe ask's them something they will be more than willing to help them out, and thats called fishing ethics. thanks Rob

Guest Longshank

The regulars reffered to could do a bit more, since some of them are down there every day...

For example..how about bringing along a cooler or something similar and putting some water into it so the fish don't roll around in either cement and or grass etc. This would help in reducing the loss of the mucous, make for easier 'milking" and eventual release of fish.

One or two coolers there would act like mini holding tanks and certainly aid in a healthier release....... :wacko:

Guest Longshank

hat's the whole idea Tommy......

let the one's in the know step it up and "educate" the newer guys down there......

Certainly better than confrontational I think

Guest Steelheader

As a newcomer to the PortD scene I have to say that there's a certain amount of "When in Rome do as the Romans do" mentality. You don't want to look like a stupid noob, so you sort of follow what you see other guys doing (unless it's blatantly idiotic, like kicking fish :wacko: ) If guys set good examples, the newcomers will pick up on it.

Guest cplummer

Kicking fish?? humm are they like tire kickers that test the product that way??... kicking a fish KILLS the fish thats just plain ignorant !!! release the fish gently please. would you want your a@@ kicked back in the water? I THINK NOT..

Cliff...

I dont mean to stir the pot, flogg a dead horse...you get the idea, but...

I was under the understanding that there was no natural reproduction from the browns/rainbows/chinooks that enter Port Dalhousie. This just goes back to a post that may have indicated that there is successful spawners. Also, with the release of fish from an elevated position, a torpedo (head first) dive is a better release technique. The sudden surge of water over the gills, gives an initial boost of O2 to the blood stream. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,

Cam

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
Also, with the release of fish from an elevated position, a torpedo (head first) dive is a better release technique.  The sudden surge of water over the gills, gives an initial boost of O2 to the blood stream.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,

Cam

2976[/snapback]

Yes Cam this is true, I've found the Atlantic Salmon to be the hardest fish to revive. The torpedo technique is by far the perferred method of releasing these king of all sport fish. I think what there talking about @ PD is if they use this method off of the wall and the fish doesn't swim away just floats up, unless you got a real long net or are willing to jump into the water,he's a goner.

Guest Steelheader
Yes Cam this is true, I've found the Atlantic Salmon to be the hardest fish to revive. The torpedo technique is by far the perferred method of releasing these king of all sport fish. I think what there talking about @ PD is if they use this method off of the wall and the fish doesn't swim away just floats up, unless you got a real long net or are willing to jump into the water,he's a goner.

2978[/snapback]

This is how I've released fish on the wall. Providing you don't play the fish to exhaustion and you handle it quickly, it shouldn't be a problem.

Archived