Remembrance Day

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

In the 11th Month on the 11th Day and on the 11th Hour

We stop to pay our respect to the brave men and women of our great country who laid down there lives so that we can have the type of lives we have today.

To our surviving veterns,thank you for you sacrifice and devotion to our country.

We make you this pledge that we will never forget what you did for us and our country.

In 1939 there was 9 million Canadians,1 million were involved in the war effort

Just remember,when your driving, or in a checkout line or wherever,and theirs and elderly man or women in front of you thats taking alittle longer then you think they should,just remember chances are they risked there life for our country and you! So have a little understanding!

As my father once told me "We were not Heros,we just answered the call of our King and Country"

In memory....

D.S. Cuthbertson 1939-1945 Canadian Army

Dr. John Belton 1939-1945 RCAF

top.jpg

In 1939 there was 9 million Canadians,1 million were involved in the war effort

Thanks Brian. Puts things into perspective seeing those numbers. I used that figure while walking my Son to school today. We thought about how many people on our street alone would have gone voluntarilly in harms way to protect what we have and I asked for his full respect at 11 o'clock and beyond.

Today is about remembering those who both did and did not make it home and about helping our younger ones understand what it all means. Without this lesson, they would not appreciate their freedom untill it was in jeopordy.

You know Holland in 1995,made the point of inviting Canada back to commarate the end of the 2nd war! My father being one of them. He told me the first thing there commanding office told them was that they wern't going to wear there medals in the parade.

They had given them these pins to handed out (Canada Flags). He told me that every child in Holland knows the story of what Canadian's did for their country. Every child has a Canadian grave that they look after for as long as there in school,fresh flowers every day. Dad told me he gave one of these pins to a little girl he said her eyes got big she smiled and went running to her parents to show them. The big parade that was planed was to much for my father to walk,he and a few others decided to skip the parade and go for a beer. They came to the parade route which they had to cross,seeing the barracades and the people there they figured they would have to take another route. When the ppl. saw them coming they step aside open the barrier and someone shouted "Here come The Canadian's" With a roar and applause they crossed the road,and the same was done on the other side they parted and my father and his friends manged to find there way.

If we would only teach our children our history,and not let them rely on Hollywood to distort the trueth!!

There is a private members bill trying to gain strength to make Remembrance Day a National Holiday. Theres only 2 proviences that doesn't mark this day as a holiday,one being Ontario,the other Quebec. If you feel the same as me please send a Email to the PM.

pm@pm.gc.ca

Its a shame that a daylike that isnt honored with a national day off. What kind of nation would we have if it wasnt for these brave men and women.

Every year we have a mass and a remembrance day celebration at my school. The whole place is silent just calm, and this from a school of 1200 teens.

Most of them have no idea what war is, but they do realise that the rights and freedoms we all take for granted sometimes were paid with lives.

It really angered me that at school yesterday they did not even do a moment of silence at 11. Can you believe that? They did it in an assembly that took place at a time when not everyone could make it. Me for one, i have first period off and did not even know about the assembly until it was too late. So i took my own moment of silence to myself with tith rambling of voices in the background.

All i can say is thank you.'

tightlines

salmonman

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian. I recieved a letter today in the snail mail from the Federal Government and it said that bassically It's a stat holiday but there is still legislation to be worked out but in their eyes it's in. It recommended that I send my letter to the Provincial Parlament. Apparently not all the provinces are on track. I'll send you a scan if you like.

Archived