Looking for info on niagara sturgeon

Guest mean_drunk

Guest mean_drunk

hi everyone..I'm doing research into Sturgeon caught below the falls..I would like

to hear from persons who have caught or witnessed sturgeon being caught etc.

What i need are approximate location,species of sturgeon(if known) and bait/tackle used.

Email me at mean_drunk2001@yahoo.ca with a report or pics if possible

Thanks

monsters of the deep

Guest mean_drunk
Makes ya wonder how the guys in the olden days were catching them in the first place....here we are with advanced technology and fishing equiptment and loads of information at our fingertips and we still have trouble taking fish home for supper most days.....

4095[/snapback]

Tommy there were a lot more lake sturgeon back then...in 1894 mississippi river commercial fisherman repoted over 249,000 lbs of lake sturgeon caught...by 1931 it had declined to almost nothing.They used every method known to man.

There are 7 or 8 species of sturgeon in North America,and i think the lower Niagara holds at least 2 of them,including an endangered species.....

I've seen two caught first hand out on the niagara bar at the mouth of the river. Both fish were caught on tubes while fishing for bass. The one was landed and it was probably about 15 pounds. We had one on and got it up to the surface but we didn't land it. It was closer to 50 pounds. I'm not familiar with the differnt species so I don't know what kind of sturgeons they were. I've heard of other incidental catches in the same area. There is no open season for Sturgeon on the Niagara River.

Guest mean_drunk
I've seen two caught first hand out on the niagara bar at the mouth of the river. Both fish were caught on tubes while fishing for bass. The one was landed and it was probably about 15 pounds. We had one on and got it up to the surface but we didn't land it. It was closer to 50 pounds. I'm not familiar with the differnt species so I don't know what kind of sturgeons they were. I've heard of other incidental catches in the same area. There is no open season for Sturgeon on the Niagara River.

4097[/snapback]

ok...got it..mouth of the niagara at the bar.I've heard about that area...Bass fishing you say..do you know what the bait used was?And did the smaller one jump?

holy jumpin sturgeon!

Any sturgoen I've heard of being caught were on a worm. Somebody caught one this summer in Port Dalhousie. Charlie Whites fishing machine(tv show) has an episode where they caught the sturgeon on camera taking the bait.

As Tom said, there is no open season for these fish on the Niagara so you are not allowed to target them, therefore you shouldn't really be asking where they are and what bait to use. Targeting them would be poaching.

Guest mean_drunk
As Tom said, there is no open season for these fish on the Niagara so you are not allowed to target them, therefore you shouldn't really be asking where they are and what bait to use. Targeting them would be poaching.

4101[/snapback]

Rick i have no intention of "targetting" them at all. I'm doing research into where they have been caught,size and species,and what they have been eating.The incidental catches are important(striking tubes for instance/what part of their diet looks like a tube )as nobody is deliberately fishing for them.

This is how you determine where they exist without actually killing any or trying to catch one.

I can use your help,and if anyone wants to email me rather than post in case poachers are reading these,please do.

This a research/conservation effort,and pics will help me identify them.

mean_drunk2001@yahoo.ca

sturgeon page

Guest Gill Finigan

Upper River has a one fish limit and lower is closed. Never tried for them myself but i have heard that thompsons hole is a good place on the upper. Seen a huge one surface down the glen before had to be over 60".

Upper River has a one fish limit and lower is closed. Never tried for them myself but i have heard that thompsons hole is a good place on the upper. Seen a huge one surface down the glen before had to be over 60".

4114[/snapback]

Sorry, I seen you ask what bait people use when they caught one and I over-reacted. Wont happen again. :blahblah1: As for the upper river, you have to check the exceptions. Although it says that in division2 you can keep one sturgeon with a sportfishing licence, the exception is that the season is closed all year in the river from the falls to the peace bridge.

hi everyone..I'm doing research into Sturgeon caught below the falls..I would like

to hear from persons who have caught or witnessed sturgeon being caught etc.

What i need are approximate location,species of sturgeon(if known) and bait/tackle used.

Email me at mean_drunk2001@yahoo.ca with a report  or pics if possible

Thanks

monsters of the deep

4094[/snapback]

Found one dead at the Niag. Glen one night in the fall about 7 yrs. ago.It got caught in shallow water as the water dropped.Was mixed in with a bunch of lakers.My buddy and I tried to revive it but nature to its course.I figured it was about 50 lbs. or so.Have not see one since.Have lost two fish in the same area with no chance of getting them in.Could have been something else,but never had two fish fight like these.Both were on roe bags.I,ll never know for sure.All I know is late fall and they were big.

A few years ago while visiting the Falls I seen a sturgeon surface below the falls in the current. I say it was well over 10' long. When they surface only the part behind the head comes out of the water. This is the second time I seen a sturgeon that big hit the surface. The other time was on the Fraser River in BC.

Guest Gill Finigan
Sorry, I seen you ask what bait people use when they caught one and I over-reacted.  Wont happen again. :blush:  As for the upper river, you have to check the exceptions. Although it says that in division2 you can keep one sturgeon with a sportfishing licence, the exception is that the season is closed all year in the river from the falls to the peace bridge.

4116[/snapback]

Darn fine print. One day they will have regs i don't need a team of lawyers look over first. Thanks for pointing that out Rick

Guest mean_drunk
A few years ago while visiting the Falls I seen a sturgeon surface below the falls in the current.  I say it was well over 10' long. When they surface only the part behind the head comes out of the water. This is the second time I seen a sturgeon that big hit the surface. The other time was on the Fraser River in BC.

4121[/snapback]

thanks...

you saw it from up top? full length 10 ft? give or take..what 1 ft each way?

jumping sturgeon

Guest mean_drunk
Found one dead at the Niag. Glen one night in the fall about 7 yrs. ago.It got caught in shallow water as the water dropped.Was mixed in with a bunch of lakers.My buddy and I tried to revive it but nature to its course.I figured it was about 50 lbs. or so.Have not see one since.Have lost two fish in the same area with no chance of getting them in.Could have been something else,but never had two fish fight like these.Both were on roe bags.I,ll never know for sure.All I know is late fall and they were big.

4120[/snapback]

thanks ham&eggs..

you say in the 5o lb range..how big was that?4.5,5 ft?

jumping sturgeon

Guest Perch man

Just like Ham$eggs I have also hooked into fish in the gleg that there was no stoping them. At the flat rock we see 2-3 a winter thay come up just like a sucker

last winter we saw some thing around 7'-8' 4 times.

Jeff

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

I too THINK I hooked into one of these critters trolling out from the Niagara mouth to the Green Can,I was using leadcore and a Williams. I had to turn around and chase it, I did get up beside my line he was straight down and he was keeping pace with me going up current. I started horsing the fish and he poped off.

2 things

Earlier this year on the bar, I observed a sturgeon surface feeding for over 5 minutes. It was pretty close to my boat and it was calm so I had a perfect view. At first I though it was a floating log about 4 feet long. Up until then I never knew sturgeon surface feeded.

The other was I was using 6lb test bass tackle on the bar, light rod and minnow and I think I hooked into one. Fought it for about an hour, followed it out in the lake and just when it was getting near the boat my vanish leader broke. guess Ill never know but it didnt act like any fish Ive ever had on. It did what ever it wanted to. Worse part was never seeing the fish but a sturgeon would be my guess. BP

For the most part the niagara is home to the standard lake sturgeon, there is also the shovelnose i believe which tops out around 12 pounds ....

the lakesturgeon can get into a few hunderd.

i have been told best way to catch them is a giant hook with a dozen worms, however for the most part you need a slingshot to launch your line out far since they tend to love the deepest parts.

Guest FIN "S" FISHER

I have also hooked into huge fish in the glen during mid to late October they just run straight out to the center of the river and hold cant budge them. twice this has happened to me and once to my buddy. on all ocassions they struck on salmon eggs.

well i caught one years ago in the glen it was about 5 1/2 feet guessed it to 40lbs or so as`for type it was black...and i caught it on a worm while fishn for bass..never did get it on shore but to the edge :blush: bent down to unhook it thats all she wrote hook line gone ...

Archived