Looking for info on niagara sturgeon

Guest mean_drunk

Guest mean_drunk
For the most part the niagara is home to the standard lake sturgeon, there is also the shovelnose i believe which tops out around 12 pounds ....

the lakesturgeon can get into a few hunderd. 

i have been told best way to catch them is a giant hook with a dozen worms, however for the most part you need a slingshot to launch your line out far since they tend to love the deepest parts.

4177[/snapback]

You're right about the species involved i think...maybe add the pallid sturgeon to the list and possibly shortnose...i'm getting a lot of good input.that ny state map helps a great deal showing where they were caught and how big...ingluding the one"greaTER than 72" on the one map....thanks a lot everyonesturgeon

I remember about 2-3 yrs ago in Lake Erie there were 2 huge ones they found floating dead. Not sure on the weight guestimates but I think both were well over 100 lbs. Ancient fish. BP

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
Saw my first one this summer floating dead on top about two miles out from Port Weller. It was about 3-4ft. long and if I had to guess maybe 30lbs.

4202[/snapback]

I think I saw that same fish,he was floating upside down. When I saw him he was just of the lighthouse out off of the Marina

Brian, are you sure that wasn't one of your cannon balls? :blush:  :lol:

4162[/snapback]

Or it was a scuba diver

Guest erie_guy

Forget about getting data from the MNR. They have a great interest in Lake Sturgeon, but don't have the funding or political will to do anything about it. You won't get DFO involved either, unless it has the word "trout" in the subject line. Aside from an informal sturgeon sighting study in the upper and lower Niagara using recreational divers in the late 80's there is practically no data. Sad but true. If you want to see some real movement towards restoring this species check out Ohio State Fish and Wildlife Service. There has been some work done by N.Y. State in the upper river (Lake Erie), but the eastern end of Lake Erie is where the real work is being done. They used radio tracking, gill netting, night lines (the most successful), and creel census to gather data. Additionally, they have done some restoration in identified spawning creeks/rivers.

A couple of years ago I started to get a sturgeon survey going in the headwaters of the Niagara River. When I contacted the MNR they were quite interested, and wanted me to get back in touch with them if I could get something going with the U.S. Why...so they could cling-on to a program that had already been set-up for them at virtually no cost or effort. Unfortunately, I've taken a job that has includes a lot of out of town work, and my volunteer work has taken a back seat to my job and family.

Good luck

Guest Longshank

We got 2 his past fall and both were on tube jigs while fishing for bass.

1 on a goby tube and the other on a green/red fleck.

Both jumped clear out of the water 2-3 times

One at 16 and the other at 20#

Late September and early October, we seem to get one every year on tubes...

Nothing over 20 or so pounds anyhow.....

Shank :blush:

Guest wheatking

I just read the article that was posted by Doc, interesting read. What I don't understand is that they said in the Niagara River section of the article that round gobies were used as bait. It did not say how many lines were baited with gobies, but it was the first bait mentioned. This was a US gov't angecy? WTF ? I thought we were trying to keep gobies out of our waters ? I just can not believe they would use them for bait. There had to be an altenative, maybe a bundle of worms tied in a big roe bag or something? Don't they give out fines for using gobies as bait.

Wheatking

I saw one about the 5ft. range caught off the queenston sand dock in July on a heavy duty pickeral rig by an old Polish guy. I don't know what he baited it with but I believe he was fishing for Carp/Sucker/ and sheepshead as I saw him mold something to the hooks. First one I have seen that close except for the ones in the reservoir that are huge in comparison. If you go there early in the morn when the fog is still on the water then you might see them splash their tail as they descend back down to the bottom for the day. Awesome is the only way to describe it. :Gonefishing:

Guest mean_drunk
About 5 inches long? Wow!  :Gonefishing: I'm sure you meant 5 feet (5') long.

My dad used to fish the Niagara River often in the "olden" days and the Queenston Sand Docks (the left side) you'd see them right beside the shoreline in the spring....they spring spawners?

4250[/snapback]

yes they are spring spawners...and i've updated the website with a pic of a pallid sturgeon....updated with pallid sturgeon

Guest fishin mishin

Caught a sturgeon 2 years ago in the upper river.This thing was 5.5 feet long aprox 90-100 lbs.

Caught it on a bass tube on 8 lb line. Took 2.5 hours to land it. Will post pictures when I figure out how too.

Guest mean_drunk
Caught a sturgeon 2 years ago in the upper river.This thing was 5.5 feet long aprox 90-100 lbs.

Caught it on a bass tube on 8 lb line. Took 2.5 hours to land it. Will post pictures when I figure out how too.

4304[/snapback]

you have pics?if you can, get them scanned at a place(copy shop maybe), have them emailed to you,then save them to your puter.

We need more sturgeon pics...

Guest Big Bass Rich

My dad had one on once during a bass tournament on the lower Niagara while fishing with tubes. Well, he thinks thats what it was. He fought it for about 30 min, saw a huge silver/gray flash and it was gone. That was about 10 yrs ago though.

Guest mean_drunk
I saw one caught at the whirlpool on a roe bag last spring - it was around 20 punds - close to 3 feet long.

4384[/snapback]

i'm wondering why there aren't more roe bag reports...i know they feed on zebra mussels,and apparently hit bass tubes. I thought they'd inhale roe like popcorn

Archived