Gar Pike

Technosis

Ok so tonite I got back from a day touring the Long Point Bay area. In Port Rowan at the water's edge (Lion's

Park, west side of the boat houses) I saw scores of Gar pike lying together at the shoreline in about 4" of water. They were all about 18-24" in length. TONS of massive spawning Carp rolling and thrashing about in the water nearby.

Sure there are loads of Gar pike in Long Point Bay, but are they plentiful in Niagara? I have only ever caught one, and that was in the Lower Grand River on a lime green tube jig. What about Gravelly Bay in Port Colborne?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Tech :Gonefishing: .......There are gars all over Ontario . I got one at Port Severn in the canal lock . They are hard to catch because their mouth is nothing but bone and teeth ......very sharp needle teeth ! It's hard to get a hook set and they fight hard. The Niagara R. at Queenston has some large gars and the marina at the Beacon has gar also .

For sure the boney mouths make for very difficult hooksets. The use of scarfing or nylons in the mix of the lure sometimes does the trick as the numerous number of tiny teeth get stuck to the material. Technically you are fighting them with a tangle and not necessarily a hook. :-)

Guest johnszado

caught one today in beaverdams about 5 lbs, forgot camera, had to throw on stringer, zip home, and come back for pics, but he was okay. there were tons swimming around and jumping-awesome, my 1st

gar pike outside of the main body shape do not resemble northers.

gar pike have a really long but narrow snout and are much uglier as well

Hey Richard .....have you tried going to Google "Images" when you type in a word ? You will get a page with 20 images and usually many more pages at the bottom of the page to offer much more info . I typed in "gar" , and got pages of pictures . The alligator gar are huge fish from the southern States ....too bad we didn't have fish like THAT here !!! :dunno:

The alligator gar are huge fish from the southern States ....too bad we didn't have fish like THAT here !!! :lol:

Speak of the devil! Last year, right near the pipes down in Gibson, I actually saw a gar.... it was probably about 2.5 ft long (which isn't very big), and sitting in maybe 2 ft of water. But that's the only one I've ever seen down there.

But maybe what you meant was that they don't get big here....oh well

Archived