Who are these guys?

Guest chilli

Way to go guys whoever you are! :lol:

See Here

4481[/snapback]

Wouldn't it be great if it was legal to shoot stupid people? Half the worlds problems would be gone.

Two thumbs up to that group in Queenston for doing a great job. :lol:

Guest bigfish1965

I remember that from last spring,Brian.

It's just a matter of time before the pinheads ruin it for everyone else. One by one our fishing spots will be taken away by idiots littering and making trouble for others.

Time for some new ideas and ways of thinking.

Fisherman can take some of the blame when there are piles of line etc ,but visitors throw coffee cups , cigarette packages , food containers either in the water or on the walk ways. I was fishing on the east wall a month ago at noon time and there were four students in uniform from a local school passing around a joint on a bench and of course eating their twinkies ! When they left for school there were paper wrappers everywhere to blow in the wind. Should I have said something to them ? With todays laws , I would end up in the drink :( By the way, those bloody geese make walking anywhere down Port a hazard....got to clean the boots out at lot lately ! :P

Not good: Maybe some of the fishermen should pull together and take a step towards helping this group of residents and letting them know we are there to help and get the big X off our backs and show we are not all that bad and we care about the areas that we fish,COULDN'T HURT :P Rob

Guest vidarling

Hey all,

I echo the sentiments of the prevous replies. I think the fisherman are unfairly blamed for most of the Garbage that is left but there are always a few bad apples. :(

I was really shocked when I went to Colbeck Drive last month. It is really disgusting. Has anyone seen it? There is even a baby stroller sitting on the bank.

Being realatively new to this site I was wondering if you have given any thought to organizing a cleanup for an area someday. I would buy the garbage bags if someone supplied the truck. Even if we did one spot a year. It would give us at least a small warm feeling for a few days anyway.

I remember hearing that if you were cleaning up an area that you may not have to pay to drop it off at the dump? Is anyone reading this site a region employee that could confirm or deny this?

Later

vidarling

BTW Maybe they were using the tires for "float fishing" Or the old front rotor for their drift weight. :P

Guest cplummer
Fisherman can take some of the blame when there are piles of line etc ,but visitors throw coffee cups , cigarette packages , food containers either in the water or on the walk ways. I was fishing on the east wall a month ago at noon time and there were four students in uniform from a local school passing around a joint on a bench and of course eating their twinkies  !  When they left for school there were paper wrappers everywhere to blow in the wind. Should I have said something to them ? With todays laws , I would end up in the drink  :( By the way, those bloody geese make walking anywhere down Port a hazard....got to clean the boots out at lot lately ! :P

4506[/snapback]

damn did they even share that joint??????

No Plummer they didn't share the joint but threw the butt in the water.....tried to light it,but it was too wet :P .Which brings up a question ! Is throwing away thousands of butts on the land or water littering ? They are thrown from cars including the packages all over the place. How about a sign that says "You are being watched ! Fines for littering start at $1000. " Would that cause too much stress for people thinking a camera is on them ? Are there enough garbage containers on both sides of the harbour?

Have you been to Rooker Rd recently. You can't tell a clean up happened by the cars. Saw one guy on the rocks asking another with exclame "where do you put the garbage" as he held out his empty coffee cup. "Just chuck it in the fire pit" is what he was told. Ya the fire pit 3 feet from the water. I walked away as the pit was full of refuse already. I thought after I should have offered to take it the long journey to the garbage can 50 feet away or even rent a camel to bring it to his car but I'm a bottle rocket so Henry and I shook our heads and kept walking.

I'd like to think it's just the reefer heads with nothing better to do but I doubt there drinking coffee. The amount of fishing line I picked up on clean up day left me thinking I should have left Henry at home as he kept getting it tangled around his legs as I pulled it out of the dirt. Lead sinkers and rusty hooks were everywhere. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure the joggers threw thier fare share of fishing line and the teenagers hanging out at night probably threw old tackle everywhere but the fishermen have to take the bulk of the blame.

There are other people littering indeed but there is too much tackle and that's us. So is a large percentage of the cups. In hindsite walking away was exactly what I should not have done. I'll keep some bags in my car and next time I'm down there I'll offer some to the guys fishing in the messy areas. I'm betting I'll get told where to shove em though.

Guest Steelheader
In hindsite walking away was exactly what I should not have done. I'll keep some bags in my car and next time I'm down there I'll offer some to the guys fishing in the messy areas. I'm betting I'll get told where to shove em though.

4572[/snapback]

That's fine - then you can point to the sign. What's happening with that anyway?

Guest erie_guy

Compliance out-does enforcement hands down. The trouble is trying to educate people. No doubt these are the same dumb-dumbs that buy bottled water at the store only to throw the empty bottle in the water. Stupid is as stupid does. First, they need to understand that the garbage they throw on land degrades and makes its way to the water and further degrades. Second, that same water is pulled into our water treatment plants, some of the chemicals released from the degraded garbage are removed, then the purified water is sent to the public as drinking water. Perhaps if there were a sign listing the chemicals that go into manufacturing a cigarette package, styrofoam cup, other plastics, etc. they would think twice. :worthy:

Guest mean_drunk
Fisherman can take some of the blame when there are piles of line etc ,but visitors throw coffee cups , cigarette packages , food containers either in the water or on the walk ways. I was fishing on the east wall a month ago at noon time and there were four students in uniform from a local school passing around a joint on a bench and of course eating their twinkies  !  When they left for school there were paper wrappers everywhere to blow in the wind. Should I have said something to them ? With todays laws , I would end up in the drink  :D By the way, those bloody geese make walking anywhere down Port a hazard....got to clean the boots out at lot lately ! :worthy:

4506[/snapback]

I'm sure visitors also leave a mess with food wrappers/pop cans,but they don't leave bird's nests of line,worm containers and split shot/hook wrappers.Anyone who has ever walked the talk and actually done a waterfront cleanup or had a cottage will tell you..the one thing that doesn't seem to breakdown environmentally is styrofoam.

It's the worst.

If you see it,it doesn't matter if it's yours or not,pick it up.

I didn't see a lot of garbage anytime i went to Algonquin park,and people fished there.

Why the different attitude down south?

For the most part the "piles" of garbage only seem to be building up in populated fishing spots[ex.port d,queenston,whirlpool]. Most of the garbage is due to the fact that there aren't garbage cans around or as Tommy said they see 1 persons garbage and throw theres down like its nothing. And to the guys who say there arent any cans around so where do i put it? Its your garbage you brought it there so take it with you, dont expect someone else to pick after you. If we all took our own garbage with us we wouldn't have to worry about the pile ups

Guest SkeinMachine

These people don't just stop at boat launches & shorelines.

Imagine what their houses or apartments look like???

Same kind that empty their ashtrays in parking lots.

Makes ya wanna puke.gif

:) lots of things people don't know about 007 secret agent side :D

as for the garbage pics... i don't think that anyone can blame fisherman for dumping amounts of garbage like that... i know when i head out for a day of fishing i never load my garbage with me and dump a bag or 2.... i think these are just random idiots who think that the "$1. more ticket" shouldn't apply to them....

But for those worm container and fishing line people, get a grip.... i mean is it really that hard to toss the line in your pocket? and is the weight savings of that worm container gonna put that much of a stress on you car that you lose valuable gas mileage?.... it's pure ignorance.... when i'm out i usually do end up picking up someone else garbage and throwing it in my pocket, takes all of 2 seconds and i can do it while my line is in the water....

That's all I'm saying. We gotta get the message out to start taking care of our end of it. Then we can go to the newspaper and complain about it. I think it's just part of the social decay that we're going to have to learn to live with. Remember your Grandfather talking about the way things used to be? Like spitting in public.

Hey guy's: I'M there just let me know or I can call myself and maybe use some past pull for a story to make sure the right point gets across , don't want to let them think it's just the fishermen making the mess but atleast the fishermen are stepping up to the plate to set the story straight. Rob :blush:

Sounds like exposure for the club Rob. Maby instead of the paper pointing out what slobs we and others are we can get some of the other clubs active in a cleaning program. The different clubs are usually not competing because of geography with me as the exception because I fish there more than here. The more exposure you get for your club the better. If we get a reputation for being concerned about the garbage and are taking steps to prevent and picking up, then the word is therefore spread about. Adding in the other clubs raises awareness all round.

Archived