Went to Cabelas.

Sirfishalot

:D Hi guys. I just returned from an awesome week in West Virginia where we took the family whitewater rafting on the New River. What a Blast. The kids ,ages 10 thru 12 held thier own on class 5 rapids that would scare some adults. As a seasoned rafter I did the rapids in what is called a "duckie" which is an inflatable kayak. That in itself is an awesome experience.

We stayed at ACE adventure center a class facility that offered numerous packages for all ages along with mountain biking,horseback riding ,rock climbing walking trails, and full water facilities for all ages. There were 5 man made lakes/ponds that were stocked with sm/lm bass, perch and bluegill, I did bring a couple of rods and managed 2 SM weighing about 2lbs each.One southern gent hammered one that tipped my scale at just under 6lbs., wow!

They have accomodations ranging from tenting to chalets at reasonable prices. There are meal plans that we took advantage of (gained 5 lbs.)and the food was awesome. I would recommend this for anyone looking to spice up that ho hum routine vacation year after year.Here's the website , www.Aceraft.com

Now to the good stuff. Along the way we took a little side trip to Cabelas's in Wheeling ,WV

What a facility. :) I would rank this ahead of BPS and Gander mountain. We just happened to hit it on the day of thier parking lot tent sale.And what a sale it was. Whatever the lowest price was on the tag ,you took off another 50%. As some of you know I was in the market for a livewell ,well not anymore. :( I managed to score one with all the fixins for $32 US , it sells for $120 regular without the aerator package ! I also managed to get some boat bunk guides for the same price and bearing buddies for $10 but the real deal was the Humminbird 565 with temp/speed, real time sonar and dual cone transducer for....wait.....$99.99 !

I was like a kid in a candy store :( . I told the girlfriend that if we didn't have the trailer full of bikes I would have loaded it up with toys for the boys back home. She did not find that amusing. :lol:

After noshing on some moosesteak subs,venison burgers and walking around in awe and marvelling at conservation mountain B) in the centre of the store for what seemed like hours , oh yah it was hours. :D , we were finally on our way. If anyone is going south and is heading down the I 79 you would be fools for not getting off the I 70 exit and detouring 20minutes out of your way to visit this store .You will not be left dissapointed.

We are already talking about the next trip and I am already dreaming of stopping there again , :) but don't tell the girlfriend, its a surprise!............ :P .....Thom

Hey Thom: I could of swore I was reading one of jwl's posts. No offence jwl. Great trip by the sounds of it. Have ordered stuff from Cabelas. Always a nice selection. Sounds like a good holiday. Get that boat ready boy and lets get some pics. Thanks for the report. Good fishing. Scottydog

:)

Guest boston

that's great Thom, glad you had a good time :( , Cabela's is on my to do list in February when I'm headed to Florida, bass'n, Let me know when you want to install that livewell and we'll fix you up.You should send your post to Ace adventure centre they could use it on the brochure, :) OH and I think you have a new knickname eh "duckie" :( cheers boston.

Hey Sirfish .......glad you had a great time with the family down south ! I didn't know you were into kayaking in white water ! I've seem guys come down some pretty nasty rivers in kayaks ....looks like fun , but not for me ! I have never dealt with Cabelas but my bro in law used to stop in during his truck runs and brought me a hat . He bought a lot of his gear there , especially ice fishing boots & clothing . He also said BPS is no comparison to Cabelas but I still like to shop the small stores for convenience and quality . They even have game you can feast on there ? They must have quite the set up ! Hope you got a few pics for us to see Thom...... :)

Guest Jeetmuck

Sounds like a great time for you all. Running the river would have been awesome.

I have only ordered stuff from Cabela's over the phone and still think they are a great business to deal with, I definitely would like to visit a store next trip down. One of my first store bought ice huts was the Cabela's model.

Archived