Minnow transportation

Sirfishalot

Hey guys , Can we bring our own minnows to Simcoe or do we have to get them from there ? I have heard conflicting reports from guys at work and would like to clarify this matter...Thanx.

Guest misfish

I have not heard of this law or rule.

Of course, it is always best to try and buy bait locally here,as most of the dealers will buy from a local supplier that traps in local rivers and streams .Later they will buy from the Erie suppliers if they run out of shinners.

If you bring bait from afar,please do not dump your remaining bait in lake simcoe.Thanks.

Thanx for the reply misfish, I already know about the bait dumping. I posed this question because of the problem they have had last year in pefferlaw when they killed the river in hopes of eradicating the gobie. There was talk of banning all imported baitfish and was wondering if it in fact had passed. Most seasoned anglers wouldn't dump there buckets but the yahoos and some landed immigrants do what they want which in turn reflects on the rest of us as we get grouped together in the same boat ,so to speak. thanx again bud.

I caught some minnows at Port Yesterday and there was a small 1 1/2" smelt in the net . I have also had tiny gobies in the net when I let it sit on bottom for a few minutes . Take a good look at your baitfish before going to distant waters and as stated , dump the rest out on dry land to feed the critters .

Sirfish ......check on the baitshops at Simcoe to se what time they open ....may be too late if you want out on the lake early .

Guest misfish
all i was saying is all the bait you buy up on simcoe is from down here ..

Thats an interesting comment.

I know of two dealers up here, and they supply most of the Simcoe retailers around this area.I know for fact,that they trap locally,but come time when theres a shortge of shinners,they will head down to your area and get some supplies.

I have seen up here the fisherman with their box of baits from the city,numurous times I have picked out stickle backs and the odd golbies. :angry2: And yes they just dumped the remaining lot into the lake.Ignorant to what they have just down or may have done.

As far as what baits I would use , from one body of water to another,shinners would be the only bait I would feel safe using .

Where abouts were you planning on fishing Sir?

Maybe I can help ya out with a retailer that is open early. :(

This is the kind of recklessness that is going to get live bait banned all together. :angry2:

Ignorance is or worst enemy.

Carelessness and arrogance will destroy our eco systems and hopefully the karmas of those responsible.

Thats my anglers bible thumping for the day. :(

Archived