Niagara River/Garbage

RoeBaggin

Hello fellow fishermen/women. First post on this site, but have been an avid reader of the forums for a little while. I would like to touch upon my trip to the river this past Wednesday. I had picked up my cousin after the morning rain and headed down to the whirlpool for an afternoon of fishing. Fishing was actually decent, lots of salmon being taken on large chunks of skein. the water was also suprisingly clear after a solid rain. Couldn't help but notice the large amounts of garbage laying around :) very disapointed. I managed to fill my net up halfway with lure packages and coffe cups and lug it to the top. Garbage I have noticed has been a real problem as of late. The people who litter there must not be conscious about the affects of pollution on our waterways. They must not be interested in preserving the awesome fishery that is surrounding us. Anyways sorry for expressing my dissapointment and I will make an effort to help clean the whirlpool by bringing a small bag each trip down. I can only hope that other fisherman adopt this philosiphy and help preserve a truly awesome fishery. :(

RoeBaggin

I hear ya on that one...me and my buddy just did the same sort of thing on Tuesday...cleaned up a firepit full of garbage and beer cans..we also often bring a garbage bag with us, and fill it up on the way out of the fishing hole...it is a shame for sure..this time of year brings idiots from all over the place down to the river..people who have no regard for the beauty and world class fishing area right in our own back yard..funny how people can bring.full coffee..cans of beer...new gear ect down with them..but the empty garbage is somehow too heavy to carry out..thats part of the problem..people come from hours away to fish the salmon run..they don't care, they don't live here..they come with the hopes of snagging a couple big salmon so they can go home and brag what they caught..then they tell 10 more people and more idiots show up..I hate when people do that..i could proabbly check my coat pockets and tackle bag right now, and I bet I have atleast one lure package in there..excess line ( I don't leave line around)..doesnt take all that much to clean after yourself that's for sure..and it keeps getting worse...the annual salmon run is no big secret or anyhting but it seems with technology like the interweb...people don't even have to do thier own leg work any more..they just look on fishing related sites and voila, all the reports you could want right there...I like the old fashioned way of putting in the hours and riding the foot mobile to hopefully get into a few nice ones..I get discusted when I see stuff like that..and there are spots that I will simply not even go to anymore because of that..we need to bring some old fashioned values back to the fishing..the shore fishing oportunities are shrinking more and more every year...thanks for trying to do your part man, and cleaning up a little after a few idiots, also Pees me off to see people half hearted effort at cutting down trees to build a fire....not that technically speaking you are really supposed to even put a fire in down there..but if the lazy Bee's terds would take the time to step 10 paces away from thier fishing..or beer drinking spots they would actually find there is enough fallen dead timber to build 100 fires..and drinking down there when ya don't know what you are doing..or where you are going is just as stupid as about anything else..a few years back me and my buddy headed down to part of the Glen at about 4am to get an early start at our 1/2 hike to the hole..and I winded up having to rescue someone who had fallen off a cliff face...guy was pretty banged up..huge gash to the head..among other problems..his so called buddies where all too hammered to help him..I went down to get the guy..while my buddy waited for the "tulip guards" and the ambulance..found the guy bleeding alot and going in and out of conscienceness..I took my shirt wrapped it around the guys head..got him up and a little mobile.."tulip guard" came down to where I found him..cuz I told a couple of his buddies to go back up to show any help the way back in the dark...first thing the so called "help" did when they got there was go to look at the gash in the side of the guys head...I told him he had better not take the shirt off I tied on the guy..and leave it up to the ambulance guys at the top..you could clearly see that the guy was covered in blood...the "brave rescue man..tulip guard retard"..didn't want anything to do with touching the blood covered kid...I winded up practically carrying the guy back up propped over my shoulder and back. slowly walking the guy up.

I hear ya on that one...me and my buddy just did the same sort of thing on Tuesday...cleaned up a firepit full of garbage and beer cans..we also often bring a garbage bag with us, and fill it up on the way out of the fishing hole...it is a shame for sure..this time of year brings idiots from all over the place down to the river..people who have no regard for the beauty and world class fishing area right in our own back yard..funny how people can bring.full coffee..cans of beer...new gear ect down with them..but the empty garbage is somehow too heavy to carry out..thats part of the problem..people come from hours away to fish the salmon run..they don't care, they don't live here..they come with the hopes of snagging a couple big salmon so they can go home and brag what they caught..then they tell 10 more people and more idiots show up..I hate when people do that..i could proabbly check my coat pockets and tackle bag right now, and I bet I have atleast one lure package in there..excess line ( I don't leave line around)..doesnt take all that much to clean after yourself that's for sure..and it keeps getting worse...the annual salmon run is no big secret or anyhting but it seems with technology like the interweb...people don't even have to do thier own leg work any more..they just look on fishing related sites and voila, all the reports you could want right there...I like the old fashioned way of putting in the hours and riding the foot mobile to hopefully get into a few nice ones..I get discusted when I see stuff like that..and there are spots that I will simply not even go to anymore because of that..we need to bring some old fashioned values back to the fishing..the shore fishing oportunities are shrinking more and more every year...thanks for trying to do your part man, and cleaning up a little after a few idiots, also Pees me off to see people half hearted effort at cutting down trees to build a fire....not that technically speaking you are really supposed to even put a fire in down there..but if the lazy Bee's terds would take the time to step 10 paces away from thier fishing..or beer drinking spots they would actually find there is enough fallen dead timber to build 100 fires..and drinking down there when ya don't know what you are doing..or where you are going is just as stupid as about anything else..a few years back me and my buddy headed down to part of the Glen at about 4am to get an early start at our 1/2 hike to the hole..and I winded up having to rescue someone who had fallen off a cliff face...guy was pretty banged up..huge gash to the head..among other problems..his so called buddies where all too hammered to help him..I went down to get the guy..while my buddy waited for the "tulip guards" and the ambulance..found the guy bleeding alot and going in and out of conscienceness..I took my shirt wrapped it around the guys head..got him up and a little mobile.."tulip guard" came down to where I found him..cuz I told a couple of his buddies to go back up to show any help the way back in the dark...first thing the so called "help" did when they got there was go to look at the gash in the side of the guys head...I told him he had better not take the shirt off I tied on the guy..and leave it up to the ambulance guys at the top..you could clearly see that the guy was covered in blood...the "brave rescue man..tulip guard retard"..didn't want anything to do with touching the blood covered kid...I winded up practically carrying the guy back up propped over my shoulder and back. slowly walking the guy up.

If we all do a liitle we'll help make a difference. There will alwas be people who are plain ignorant about the environmental effects that they have created by leaving the junk around.

Roebaggin

I hear ya to....was in the Glen yesturday and brought up a bag full of crap....the spot is clean now till I go back again and have to do it over again....LOL

The best thing we can do is do our part as caring individuals, and hope it catches on

RoeBaggin

Welcome to the garbage club RB and to our fishing board ! It's great to have another concerned fisherman who helps keep our fishing places clean . We can't really do much to change the slobs out there .....they really don't know better , probably stink more than a dead fish themselves by not knowing how to use a bar of soap . People who throw stuff in the water are even worse as they are polluting the water as well . All we can do is pick up after these dirtbags and show them we have some class and pride . Good on ya RoeBaggin ...thanks for helping out !

Smerchly, Thanks. Just concerned about my future and my childrens future for enjoying this pastime we cherish so much. People do not realize that the water levels constantly rise and fall at the river. What could be garbage on the rocks earlier in the day, most likely will be garbage in the water later.

Archived