Simcoe Perchin friday

Sirfishalot

Yee haw !

I finally got out for a more serious fish friday. The boys from work and I headed to Lake Simcoe out of Pefferlaw for some jumbos. We were not dissapionted. It was a little cool in the morn but we dressed for anything. First stop at smokeys for some minnows and off we went. Got on the water by 9:30 ,very light winds about 5km NE put a ripple on the water. Sun was shining, could it get any better. We located the small floatilla of boats about 2 miles or so out and set up on the outside of them in 25 fow.

Action was immediate and non stop all day. We used a myriad of presentations and they all produced. The bigger ones seemed to like the small spoons tipped with a 3" minnow but if you are just lookin for 8" to 10" inch just drop a pickeral rig or hook and splitshot. The 3 of us in our boat each took home a conservation limit of 25 each but none were under 10" with four being over 13". We cold have easily had 50 each but there would have been alot of dinks. Being conservative I'd say we released over 200 smaller ones.

As the day wore on and our minnow supply waned I resorted to half minnows and it seemed to us that we were getting larger perch. so we stuck to that and the last 2 or so hours is when we caught most of the bigger ones.

It was a great day on the water with some good friends and lots of fish to boot. I was anxoius to get home so I could use my new toy, a Rapala electric fillet knife that I got for my birthday. All I can say is WOW. I had those perch done in a 3rd of a time it would have taken me the "old" way. A good investment for sure.

Some pics were taken with other cameras so until I get them you will have to wait. Have a great weekend fishing all......Thom

Nice going Sirfish .......must have been fun with all that action ! And if you run out of minnows you can dice up a small perch and use for bait (legal) ? ,but count it for your limit :( ...or at least use some of the guts for bait ....it works ! I have the small Rapala knife ( 6" ) and keep it razor sharp , and it's great for doing pan fish or small trout . I have the large one too (10") blade for those big musky .................kidding :) .....It is good for the larger pike , eyes & trout . A buddy of mine Kenny A. goes up to Peff. about this time of the year and has a ball fishing perch . He likes to drift until he gets into the large jumbos , then toss out the anchor and fish with the ultra lights with minnows . Thanks for the report Thom

Nice report Fishalot glad you had a good one. Thank you very much for the advice last night, When you say you released atleast 200 your not joking! Some of the best perch fishing I ever had! Will post some pics tonight if I can stay awake after all the cleaning lol.

Guest fishstick

I'm envious ya dirty buggers..... :lol:

Glad to see that some of us are getting out there and being able to post worthy stories about fishing adventures.

:(:):lol:

Guest Jeetmuck

Sirperchalot, great report. Now I really have a hankerin' for a feed of perch. Was supposed to take the kids tomorrow but they changed there minds and wanna go to Sherkston. May try and get out on Monday then. Thanks for the reports and talk to you soon.

good report on what sounds like some wicked perch fishin for sure, those are fun days..when ya can't evevn light a smoke, get a drink..take a pee or anyhting without having to worry about putting your rod down...of course I could just take it out of the water for a minute,,but i never do that :(

Archived