Whirlpool, Port D Water clarity good- but NO FISH!

fishfight

Finally met the famous Tommy_Niagara for the first time at Port D. It was a pleasure meeting you in person and seeing you land a fish on your second cast, I can see the confidence and talent that you possess, aside from years of hard work and experience. You are as passionate in real person and on all you email.

I tried to immitate Tommy and lost a spoon on my first cast instead, not a good sign! Luckily, it was an inexpensive lure.

I can't catch one when the current was too slow last week, can't catch one when the water was too fast this time, I have a feeling I am losing my touch! Maybe, I should start considering playing Chess.

I went to the Whirlpool for couple of hours and only saw one fish caught, but the water was clear for fishing and hardly any wind at all. Current level was higher than normal.

It was a good day to be out with the nature, It was a good hiking trip instead of a fishing trip! Path to the Whirlpool was beautiful, and not muddy, all White snow covered ground, but it can be slippery this time of the year so take your time when going down.

Guest canadadude

Hang in there fishfight we all go through the dry times the fish are there but sometimes you need the almighty fish god on your side :lol: I couldn't get even a sniff on Saturday but Sunday I gotta couple today I droped down for couple hours and nailed a nice steelie :lol: Even the famous Tommy Niagara has his dry spells :unsure: ( we never here of those though ) :dunno:

Guest johnson

hey fishfight, the next time I hit the pool I'll send you a pm. I've got a few tricks that might help you through your dry spell.The fluctuating water levels dictate to almost the precise rock where you should stand on any given drift. It's tricky but sometimes just moving 3ft to your right along the shore will make all the difference in the world. And since you told me your not really a live bait fisherman, Tommy niagara's streamer technique with a minor alteration can be very effective. I look forward to meeting him the next time I hit port. It might be fun to have a friendly experiment with my streamers v.s his. I'm always willing to learn something new.I'll be in touch.

I am feedup with shore fishing. (Just for today- I will break my promise tommorrow) I am glad I still have my Tennis sport during weekdays, or fishing is starting to be a drag.

Time to take the boat out , who wants to join us?

My buddy and I are taking a sabatical in shore fishing for the remaining part of this week and next week, and do some final preparation on our boat, to unwinterize it and prepare for more winter fishing.

We are still waiting for our boss decision to allow us to have our week dayoff for our fishing, we will know by next week. We will avoid weekend fishing instead.

Tightlines.

Guest canadadude

hey fishfight, the next time I hit the pool I'll send you a pm. I've got a few tricks that might help you through your dry spell.The fluctuating water levels dictate to almost the precise rock where you should stand on any given drift. It's tricky but sometimes just moving 3ft to your right along the shore will make all the difference in the world. And since you told me your not really a live bait fisherman, Tommy niagara's streamer technique with a minor alteration can be very effective. I look forward to meeting him the next time I hit port. It might be fun to have a friendly experiment with my streamers v.s his. I'm always willing to learn something new.I'll be in touch.

I got an idea to keep things fair I'll volunteer to field test both of your streamers just lay a few of your favorite patterns on me and I'll let you know the results :lol::unsure::dunno:

Guest canadadude

Come on down johnson the more the merrier, There's alot of trouties around not always cooperating :unsure: but were down there most days and it's been a pretty good streamer bite lately!!!! Seems to be alot of baitfish around and the trout seem to be keying in on this not to say that roe won't work but I been catching mostly on streamers last few days :dunno::lol:

Guest johnson

I may make out for the morning/lunchtime bite on friday. I will let you know thursday evening or sooner. I looking forward to the fun. Now if you will excuse me the fly tying vise is calling. :lol::dunno::unsure:

Guest canadadude

I think id take CanadaDude up on his lessons

I took RobbieMac up on some trout lessons last year and all i get are bass, the trout thing hasnt happened

I'm going to ask Robbie for some bass lessons thats sure to increase my trout hook ups :unsure::dunno:

Saw fish caught at Port today. Canadadude modestly nailed one almost as soon as he arrived, another down at the other end, and saw a nice one- 12-15 lb brought in just before I left. The oddest catch I saw was a cormorant that popped up about ten feet out from me gagging down a trout.

You guy's kill me violent-smiley-008.gifYou know maybe I need to stop giving all my advice smilie_tischkante.gif on fishing port.Because it seems lately that I couldn't catch a fish in a bowl mixed-smiley-002.gif I picked up 2 fish today but lost 1 just as Bing was going to net it.Oh well, the bigger fish will start moving in soon and all the costom baits will come out of the woodwork.All I can say is time on the water will put fish on the bank and seperate the men from the boy's :unsure: Let the fishing begin,good luck to all.angry-smiley-046.gifaction-smiley-081.gif

Guest canadadude

You guy's kill me violent-smiley-008.gifYou know maybe I need to stop giving all my advice smilie_tischkante.gif on fishing port.Because it seems lately that I couldn't catch a fish in a bowl mixed-smiley-002.gif I picked up 2 fish today but lost 1 just as Bing was going to net it.Oh well, the bigger fish will start moving in soon and all the costom baits will come out of the woodwork.All I can say is time on the water will put fish on the bank and seperate the men from the boy's :dunno: Let the fishing begin,good luck to all.angry-smiley-046.gifaction-smiley-081.gif

Good to here your back on them Robbie I knew you'd be smok'in them soon the dry spell is gone let the games begin ;) Hey the biggin's are starting :lol: got a good steelie this evening and the pony tail dude got one around 12lbs :unsure: See you tomorrow ripping some troutie lip ;):lol:

good to hear that the water is cleaning up a bit, all the times I have managed to get down there this winter, the water has been pretty stained, I have managed fish everytime, so with the water cleaning up, the fishing should be getting great, now if the water levels would stay at a consistent level, that would be good too, been a weird winter for that, you have to adjust your tactics accordingly for sure, and try to choose the right spots to fish,some spots are better when the water is high, and others when it's low. Some days you really have to work at it though , but well worth the effort on a -10 day out, and you hook into a 10-12 lbs plus mess of fish though.If you tough out the weather, put in some time and experimenting it's bound to pay off sooner or later.

Guest canadadude

High water-low water it dosn't much matter to me just learn to read the current breaks, the flat spots those little changes between slack water and current and you'll latch on to them!!! I always beleive the fish are there just got to find out where there laying thats half the battle :unsure::dunno:

Rob....I did get my line wet there today .I talked with Tommy ...said hello to a few guys.....one must have been iStan .....sorry ...should have asked ........Then I went to the Yatch Club & tossed a few bags but quickly left when I saw the dark coloured sewage being released from the "big pipe" :dunno: . Fortunately the east wind blew the "fumes" to the west wall ! :lol: I saw the Port Dude come down while I fished the SCGFA club area ....met Nittro ...thanks for the 3 streamers......the "perchy" ....the "smeltie" and of course the "smerchie" ....I lost the smerchie on the first cast !!!!!! :unsure: ......Then......I went back to Port for the meeting of the minds for the monthly SGFA .. turned out to be a dud......no quorum ....6 people showed up , one being a young new member . So , we sat around and discussed a variety of things and came up with a few great ideas ......which will be brought forward when we have enough people to vote on them.....I think we have some "weather " comming in this week .. We may only see the hardcore Dudes down there :lol:

Guest canadadude

You guy's kill me violent-smiley-008.gifYou know maybe I need to stop giving all my advice smilie_tischkante.gif on fishing port.Because it seems lately that I couldn't catch a fish in a bowl mixed-smiley-002.gif I picked up 2 fish today but lost 1 just as Bing was going to net it.Oh well, the bigger fish will start moving in soon and all the costom baits will come out of the woodwork.All I can say is time on the water will put fish on the bank and seperate the men from the boy's :dunno: Let the fishing begin,good luck to all.angry-smiley-046.gifaction-smiley-081.gif

One more thing Robbie What on? What Colour?Where exactly on the wall were you fishing? What time?What lb test is your main line/leader?How much weight? how fast was the current? What did you have for breakfast?How much sleep did you get the night before?How many people were fishing?What was the dude beside you using? :unsure::lol: :lol:

Archived