Lake Ontario Fishing

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Woke up at the crack of 04:30,fed the dog,headed to Tims for a coffee. Hit the launch at 05:15.

Trolled out to the Canal and as I was taking this pic.

Sunup0822nd.jpg

I looked over and there goes my rod,popped off the DRigger and bouncing.

yep to late on that one.

Fooled around a bit in the Canal area,and then headed out to 66FOW and down to the Niagara Bar.

3hrs. later.... I'm seeing what I believe are Lake Trout within a foot of bottom,so I start bouncing one rigger weight off the bottom. Wasn't long before I had a 4lb LT,then a short time later doing the same I was lucky to get this beaut.

LT0222nd.jpg

A short time later,I hooked what I believe was equal to or bigger then that 12lber.

Had him on for awhile then he was gone but..... I did have a piece of him.

Warning those with weak stomachs please look away. Those that have wives that have weak stomachs please call them over :Gonefishing:

Eyeball0222nd.jpg

I swear the eye was looking at me. I really feel sorry for that fish!!!!!!

I had one other rod bounce and that was it..

I kept the big Lake Trout!!!

Yeah we were fishing out of Fishermens Pier there in hamilton. Started out front of the shipping canal and marked the odd staging fish but no takers. The radio was quiet no one was catching anything. We then trolled over to Bronte and headed out to 240 where i managed a knock off and then 5 minutes later i had a decent sized rainbow of for a minute on a pink and white dodger and NK Mag Double blue that was all teh action for today. I will not be able to personally be able to head out on the boat again this week so i will be pulling a few night shifts down at some local piers for my chance at the top ten in the last week of the Sun. Good luck to everyone during this last week.

tightlines

salmonman

Bronte, Oakville It seems to be the same everwhere. Port Hope the fish are staging and there fishing in 55FOW down on riggers 30 '

I had my best fishing of the past week in 30-50FOW off the Canal.

Salmonman

Have you tried cutbait?

Me personally no, i have not tried it, to be honest i am kinda stubborne that way i just have this things where i use spoons and that is it. I will probably give it a shot next year though, sounds like it works well. I am starting to get into the dodgers and flies, i want to pick up some bechs flashers and horse flies, have heard many good things about them. I have also recently started using flashers and spoons together and have had some pretty good results on that as well, the combo usually works when no single spoon is. I may be going out friday or saturday, it depends, but please keep posting it always makes for a good read.

tightlines

salmonman

brian sounds like your havn to much fun  im sitting here in las vegas  man wish thier was a lake to see:|

382[/snapback]

You can gamble,and WIN ;)

:Gonefishing:

Wasn't much fun this am. Woke up brain dead. Thinking I was late,rushed out and down to St.Kitts. strong E. wind blowing, so I turned around and headed to Queenston launch,arrived there at 05:00 brain dead :D

Finished my 2nd Tim's and launched the boat at 05:30. Fooled around trolling in the Queenston drift waiting for daylight. I heard something,half way out on the river theres the USCC running up river with no lights on. I guess they thought I was ferrying Illegals across :blush: Later in the mornin I noticed just above there station they were checking all the boats.

Daylight I headed to the Bar. Know joy out there either,with the waves and the gusts I turned around after a 1/2 mile and headed up the river trolling, I got to the Canadian Fort,checked my trolling rig,I had so much grass on it, it twisted my line so bad I had a hard time reeling it in.

Back to Queenston,same thing there. However I did mark some big fish off of there. earlier as I was launching I had a big fish roll up on the surface just as I was launching,I have know idea what it was!

Sorry no pics. forgot the camera. Home by 09:30.

Brian, Your making me jealous but luckily I'm headed to Pigeon Lake for a week Friday.

Do you ever go out to the red can across the bar and start fishing from there?

Super fast drop to very deep water. just a thought with all the fish winning the derby from N.Y. lately.

If you don't know where it is PM me and I'll sent you the co-ords.

Good fishin, Steve

Brian, Your making me jealous but luckily I'm headed to Pigeon Lake for a week Friday.

Do you ever go out to the red can across the bar and start fishing from there?

Super fast drop to very deep water. just a thought with all the fish winning the derby from N.Y. lately.

If you don't know where it is PM me and I'll sent you the co-ords.

Good fishin, Steve

389[/snapback]

As a matter of fact,that 3 hr span I mentioned I was heading from the greenhouses to that exact drop off. It sure drops off quick. 60' to over 200' in a blink. Haven't found the Red Can yet. I'm hoping to get there in the morin and with the SE wind head down the American shore line.

Good luck on your trip SteveK. Stay safe!!

As usual launched before daylight,hoping to get into some Browns off of the Canal. 1 salmon caught there,small......

Salmon0825th.jpg

A little after 07:00 I headed to the drop off on the Niagara Bar,and on,and on. 5 miles down the American shore line I was into a big salmon,in 160FOW down 87' He took most of my line before he released himself B)

There was still a pritty good chop on the water from the NE,about 10:00 the wind picked up real good out of the SE, chop going one way the waves the other. That was it for me. Sure glad I bought a welded boat,after that run back I think a riveted ship would be leaking,it wasn't pritty :D

Did notice that the water that was 68F Sunday,today in the same area it was 48F-55,I guess she flipped?

Not a good pic,but I'm seeing alot of fish in closer now.

Fish0825th.jpg

Don't think I'm fishing tomorow,but... that could change.

well didnt win anything but i lost only $20 so not to bad now im in the LA area should be hedn home by thursday so mabee next tuesday brian if i need to get a US.fishn lience where do i get it??? and how much will it be??

LA area. It must be as hot there as it is here eh. $20 congrats,it could have been worse :Gonefishing:

Nope you won't need a NY Lic. I was just down checking out the area. Was hoping to get as far as Wilson,lots of big fish being caught down that way.

its in the high 80's here today tommoro is going to be hotter low 90's thank god for air conditiong...whats really strang is my watch says 8pm and the sun is still high in the sky 3 hr differnce here only 5pm here

Hey Brian, If you leave the mouth of the river, you head strait past the green can and keep heading SSE for about 2 miles. You will be travelling across the top of the bar(20-30ft), and will see the red can in front of you. Just past the red can it drops in a hurry to more than 200ft. I had some good luck there last year on big fish working the drop-off.

Gotta go, packing and boat washing day.

Good fishin, Steve

Launched 05:30 in a strong S wind,powered down to the American side,out off the Bar. Within 10mins I had this beaut B)

Salmon0826th.jpg

in 170FOW down 67' I headed further down the American shoreline noting that off PW the water temp was 48F,there it was 61F,I guess the Niagara is still keeping it warm.

After a few hrs. the wind not leting up, I turned around,first thing my bow stuck a wave and put 5gallons of water in the boat. I started my big engine tilted it up lifting my bow higher. Short time later I hooked and lost a fair size fish,guessing it was 10-12lbs. but you never know, he was just getting mad when he released. Shortly after that I got another one of those beauts. this one was smaller :D

With the wind still blowing and 10 miles from port,I brought in my D.Riggers and headed for PD,water temp there in 70FOW/ 48F. Seems to be more fish in at 40FOW then further out,I trolled back to the canal,were I encounter lots of big fish out in 30-40FOW and not one hungry fish. I even tried a planer board and a bodybait,nothing. Home by 2pm.

SteveK

I found that Red Can today,it's further in then I have ben trolling. There is alot of big fish on that drop off!

Good Luck on your trip!! We need those points!!!

Cliff

Thats surface temps from my fishfinder. I'm looking at a rig that will give me temps of my D.Rigger ball,it is also supposed to give the true depths of the Rigger balls.

The Buying must continue.......

:)

Launched at 05:30

Headed in the dark to the American shoreline. First fish came in 170FOw done 90'

I had 3 beauts :dunno: by 07:30. No pics. they were to small for the camera ;)

I trolled down to 4 mile creek,then I headed back to PW. I trolled most of the way back in 66FOW,surface temp there was 51-48F on the American side it was 61-66F

I left 1 with dodger down,and rotated from cutbait to NK spoon,to a J plug to a Williams Wobbler with a piece of herring on it. Nothing,this is what I looked at from 07:30 to noon. I also used my P line,and no fleas

Boat0827th.jpg

I just can't understand why the wife says fishing is boring!!

Thats it for the week I'm home alone with Buddy the dog till Sunday night.

Buddyfeeling_better.JPG

Archived