I'm ready to buy a rod

Guest chilli

Guest chilli

Ok here's what I want. I want a rod that I can cast half way across Port D or deep into the upper. Something I can fight a big bow on without snapping my 4 lb test. I'll be going in about an hour or so to shop around.

Can you guys give me some ideas on price or what's out there right now. I've been using these Canadian tire $20 8 foot rods all my life and scoffed at those that thought they needed a $100 rod to catch fish. Problem is I don't catch fish anymore. Last year was the absolute worst year of fishing I've ever had in my life. I was told the reason I'm not even hooking into those big bows in the upper was my 10 - 12 pound mono could be seen by the fish. I cant use 4 pound on a 8 foot stiff rod. My new years resolution this year was to start catching fish in the upper no matter what the cost.

Hey Denis and Gill. Is there anyway you can PM me your ideas. I've got $125 in CTC gift cards to start so that's where I'll go first but I heard they don't back their rods anymore. Maby your willing to take the gift cards instead of cash? :worthy:

hey i get a shamano 10.6 rod from Ct and one from walmart..both were under $100 never had any problems with either of them expect closing the car door on one,had to replace the tip peters did that for me in 5 mins. i use a 8lb main line with a 6lb leader line.. i dont see why yo cant use tour 8 footer like that.you dont need to cast half way across just have to get out to the current breaks. thats where the fish are. i use a good reel thats just as important as the rod.. i use a pfluger presendent for my reel. the spool should hold 125yrds of 8lb mono .i have landed lots of big fish on this setup ..i was in gills place and he has 2 nice rods on the wall.

Guest chilli

Thanks fullofgas. Currently I'm having trouble reaching the current breaks. My reels are a mitchell 300A (quite old but good) and a mitchell Impact I grabbed from Peters. Both have a decent drag but not great. It's time to retire this silstar or save it for the boat.

Chilli

If you make it down here I think I got exactly what your looking for. Either 11.5 or 13 foot quantum coldwater series. Excellent rod for the price and I've personally seen it catch alot of fish i've sold a few to the steelheaders around this area. :Gonefishing:

Just for comparitive pricing....I was at Peters yesterday, bought 3 very light ice fishing poles for $20. While in there, I looked at the long noodle rods and there was a 12 foot shimano , don't know what the model name was, but it was a very lively ,dark blue in colour . May be a little too much rod for a short a$$ to handle ,but seemed like a good price . :Gonefishing:

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
  May be a little too much rod for a short a$$ to handle ,but seemed like a good price . :Gonefishing:

6006[/snapback]

:D:lol::D;):D:worthy:

the in-laws picked me up a 10'6" Quantum Affinity noodle rod (also have an Affinity for my bass rod) a couple months ago, good little rod for $50.-$60.... Gill has the Affinty in stock last i was there, can't remember the price tho.... As far as reels go, i picked up a Daiwa Samuria 7i for $40. incl. tax from Gills aswell, haven't used it yet, but it appears to be better quality than my current Daiwa Regals i have... about $100. for rod/reel combo that way :Gonefishing:

Guest chilli

It's a done deal. Hey smerch, don't mention this to my better half if you want to see your Grandkids more than once every 2 weeks. I got a great deal at fishinniagara but the wife was thinking more along the lines of a willow brach and a piece of vine. I'll let her know after I put a few fish in the fridge.

Your better half ?? :Gonefishing: ....is that above or below your belt ? If you're going to use that 15 footer on the ice , you better bring a ladder ! What makes you think " the wife" doesn't read this board to see what your up to ? Thanks for the back-up Brian !!

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
Your better half ?? :Gonefishing: ....is that above or below your belt ? If you're going to use that 15 footer on the ice , you better bring a ladder ! What makes you think " the wife" doesn't read this board to see what your up to ? Thanks for the back-up Brian !!

6028[/snapback]

Thats the best laugh I've had in weeks :lol::D;):D

I hope Dan doesn't get mad at me!!!!!!!!!! :worthy:

Congrats on the new gear Chilli,just don't bring it aboard my ship,I've been known to break a 1/2 dozen rods in a year.

Which reminds me,Denis I'm going to need a couple more reels I'll stop down soon!

Guest chilli

Here's the deal.

Quantum Cold Water IM8 13' rod

Quantum Vapor 20 3 bearing reel

Zebco Impulse 6 and a half foot rod med action

Maxima 6 pound one shot premium mono 250 yards

Raven invisible leader line

24 split shots

25 Kamasan #8 hooks

Fishinniagara hat

fishinniagara.jpg

Denis spooled it and rigged it up for my first cast. Hey Denis I'll call you when the headache wears off and you can put the roe sac on :Gonefishing: This equiptment also came with advise and hotspots not to mention he showed me how to tie the rigs and so on.

All in all I'm glad I didn't drive the highway to Aurora to get a good deal.

Thanks Denis! :lol:

We will have to get together for a noodlin-doodlin duel at Port D.soon! I have some roe bags ready to go & my 11.5 rod & shimano sahara 2000 all rigged up . Looks like you did very well at Denis's .....does he give good seniors discounts? :D I didn't realize he was so close to Nichols Marina where I got parts picked up for my Legend boat. When you buy that truck...make sure it's got an 8 ft box ....that rod is still 6ft6 in two pieces....unless you like three piece rods.. :unsure:

Guest chilli
:D Good point! I'll have to check the diagonal distance in a short box. :unsure: I thought all I had to think about was whether or not I needed to pull a boat.

Hey Smerchly: Thats not funny I'm looking for a truck now and that's one of the things that ARE # 1 when you have 7' 1pc rods that is important or you end up with 2 3.5 rods and I don't think they would work on all those 6lb smallmouth :Gonefishing: Catfish

Archived