Post your catch

Dan Andrews

Well with the VHS topic hot the MNR has already hinted that if things are as bad as they suspect, live bait fish including all auquatic baits (leeches, crayfish, frogs etc.) may be banned within 2 years. Your live bait may be reduced to maggots, worms, crickets etc.

This thread is not a VHS thread however. With the possibility however that it may cause the discontinued use of live baits, I've started this thread for catches using artificials only. Post your pictures where you used stick/body baits, plastics, spoons etc without tipping with live bait of any kind including worms.

Now I know this will be a tough one to stay out of but please guys............... lets limit the replies to artificial catches only and refrain from reopening the live bait debate.......... :blahblah1: get it?

I'm going to try to hit the ice tomorrow between games and I'll bring the camera. Hopefully I'll put up the first post.

Oh ya tell us what you used and if you can get it in the picture is even better :rolleyes:

Dan

Guest canadadude

Great Idea Dan :worthy: I think this will be a great thread an unfortunatly I agree with the fact that we are looking at Live bait ban in the near future!!! But lets not get our dandruff up yet but I'm sure an annoucment of some sort will be coming in the near future!! This would be a great thread to get pinned :)

when we startin?, tommorow?..alright I will try :lol::worthy:, since you are doing this as part of your conservation thread Dan,how bout has to be CPR and barbless hooks too :)

Ok so I only got in an hour as I had to scout the ice at P.A. first. I was the only one there. I really need some sonar because afetr I settled on a spot, my lure only dropped 4 feet before hitting bottom :lol:

Only saw one dinky perch swim by and it only gave my offerings a quick glance. Next time I go I'll stop there for a few minutes with live bait and se if there is a difference.

Tried all berkley products today. Tommorrow I'll try gulp.

Oh ya ice/stream/boat/plane, whatever method of fishing you use whether it be barbless catch and keep/release :worthy: post your artificial pics. I think the ice pics will be the hardest to come by but if your not up for a challenge post your Port D streamer pics too. :)

You've had some good ones this year Tommy :P

Oh ya and BTW this is post #6 and still no pics but I've tried. Seeya tomorrow.

I tried my new $5.00 Rapala ice fishing jig in the rec.canal yesterday .....not a sniff... :worthy: . Went back to minnows....got a double header right away . They should not ban minnows if you catch them in the same spot you are using them ! NO harm can be done ! Let the rest go when you are finished ! If they ban this ...you will need to hire a lot of CO's because fishermen will rebel by the thousands.......just a lttle advanced warning MNR ..... Use some common sense and you will do some good . :)

Just a add on....when ice fishing at Simcoe etc.....no choice but to use artificials if minnows are banned .....I wonder what the hut ops. think about that ?

Guest canadadude

Come on Tommy lets get the Raps out and the plastics and get some lunkers outa the ice next week I gota spot :huh: You gotta Camera we can stop harrassing the trouties for a couple days :worthy: I'll PM you with the details :lol:

I will be watching you Dude with my binocs. ! And , if you are catching fish minnowless ......I will be comming out to check your secret weapon..... :worthy: !!!!!!!!!!! I have to admit , those dumb perchies at Port will hit my tiny white twisters .....maybe because they are STARVING ....and eating sunfish !!!!!!!! . So beware.....the Smerch is prowling & lurking somewhere , anytime .....anywhere ..... :huh::lol: ............................ smiley-faces2.gif

He Smerchy: as far as I understood that you could use live bait here if you caught it yourself, you just can't transport them to the north. Or is all this crap a bunch of gossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gif or have I not been told of change's from the last time.

You are right Rob......for now , you can catch your own & fish with them in this area .......It may be up to 2 years before a complete ban is in place . In the meantime , as Dan said , lets try the plastics and see how they compare to live minnows......Maybe we may see some real good imitations come out soon and we might do very well with them . I just haven't had any luck with the ones I have.... in the clear water places at least .Maybe this summer I'll raid the garbage pail when the maggots get thick , & freeze some up ! :worthy:

Guest canadadude

I will be watching you Dude with my binocs. ! And , if you are catching fish minnowless ......I will be comming out to check your secret weapon..... <_< !!!!!!!!!!! I have to admit , those dumb perchies at Port will hit my tiny white twisters .....maybe because they are STARVING ....and eating sunfish !!!!!!!! . So beware.....the Smerch is prowling & lurking somewhere , anytime .....anywhere ..... :unsure::unsure: ............................ smiley-faces2.gif

Hey smerch you know where I'm fishing up the pond!!! If I'm not drifting trout I try it up there and I've seen some impressive perch!! One dude got 2 over 13" yesturday and my buddy had 10 9"-11" I was only there for an hour and got some dinks :rolleyes: Oh ya, and my buddy got a 15" largie, I gave him crap for catching OSS fish :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

i spent the summer as a guide in banff national park. a place that has had a bait ban for over 15 years.

caught lakers on bass tubes, whitefish on flies. i managed 1 of every kind of trout offered xcept the ellusive golden trout on my fly rod, i used alot of flies but had never even picked up fly fishing until i was there, took only 3 months or so my first laker was on a fly. biggest laker i caught was about 9 pounds all year, seen some big ones brought in. my friend caught one that was 29 pounds.

i fished with bait my entire life, and since i got home i have fished with alot of live bait and only seen goby's the only time i was not i was using an egg fly last one which was taken by the biggest brown i've seen spooled me. if anybody knows of a good place for egg flies i sure could use it as with the thaw coming i would love to try my luck for a bow.

i rarely bring live bait with me while going ice fishing. too much of a hassel. chili try using a small fat boy techni glo jig tipped with one of their tails. hard to beat. most of the time i outfish others. they are farting around with minnows while i am catching fish.

After my results last weekend without minnow, I don't know that I'll ever switch back for ice fishing. If you haven't tried one try a "russian hook" or something that is similar. This is the closest thing I can find to the lure my "guide" lent me last weekend. It was dynamite!

Now on the other hand, when I'm hitting the late fall pike or early spring pike I will still want to dangle a nice fat wriggling sucker or chub out there for them. It would be unfortunate if they do completely ban the live bait use. I for one would be one of the rebellious ones as I also see no harm in using minnows from the body of water you're fishing in.

PB

Well I posted this on the Ontario board and 100 pictures flew up. So I guess I'll have to get it started. It's not through the ice but it was still on an artificial. A heavy jig head with a berkley finness minnow black and silver slowly dragged and popped across a shallow area thats normally clogged with weeds in summer. Got it on the second cast after adding a crawfish scent which I spilled all over my pants :wacko:

pike07.jpg

This was my spring feed of pike and is the only one that won't go back unless it's wounded. Cold water pike is delicious with a little cayenne in the bread crumbs :P

Dan

Archived