Check out this way to control invasive fish

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Found this on Pauky's NY Fishing Forum

LURING AN INVASIVE FISH WITH PHEROMONES

Mike Simonson

January 3, 2005

A scientist has discovered a chemical compound that attracts an invasive fish. The Great Lakes Radio Consortium's Mike Simonson reports that this could be a break through in controlling harmful fish populations:

Eurasian ruffe were introduced in the Duluth-Superior harbor from ballast water of ocean-going ships in the 1990's. Ruffe reproduced so quickly, they now make up 80 to 90-percent of the fish population, squeezing out native fish. Now, they're spreading eastward across Lake Superior toward the lower Great Lakes.

University of Minnesota Fisheries Professor Peter Sorenson says he's isolated a pheromone that will cause the fish to cluster in great numbers of male ruffe who are tricked into thinking it's time to mate.

"It causes a great deal of sexual arousal and excitement. So to help detect this thing, I suppose like a dog they get a little crazy and just start swimming around like crazy and nudging and inspecting the fish in the tank."

Once they're clustered, Sorenson says it may be possible to find a way to cut their population. Sorenson hopes to find a similar pheromone in carp and sea lamprey, other invasive species which threaten native fish in the Great Lakes.

Source

"Once they're clustered, Sorenson says it may be possible to find a way to cut their population"

Dynamite comes to mind :P

Great find Brian I printed that for my records, a thought to that is if they could get them to an area that you could shock them to the surface and just scoop them up now that would be great. Rob

Got a way to get them little bass ---- Brian ! When they get a herd of them to cluster up, you simply get a few thousand very hungry piranhas from the Amazon , all males, and drop them in the middle of that cluster pie ! :lol: What a terrific underwater video that would make ! Anyone got any ideas how to get rid of piranhas? :P

Hey guy's we don't need a NESSIE when we have MR.LAKETROUT out there on our water's. :P Have you ever seen him when he comes back from 5 miles away in -10 temp now that would scare anyone off the lake :worthy::Gonefishing: Rob Mcintosh

Hey guy's we don't need a NESSIE when we have MR.LAKETROUT out there on our water's.  :P  Have you ever seen him when he comes back from 5 miles away in -10 temp now that would scare anyone off the lake :worthy:  :Gonefishing:  Rob Mcintosh

6447[/snapback]

A warm day!!!!!!!! :D

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hey Brian: Hope you made a trip to ctc before you went out fishing :lol:  Rob

6452[/snapback]

No I got my Lic at fishinniagara.

Still warmer this year then last......

I haven't need to put the icebreaker bow on the Avro Arrow this year

HMCS_Avro_Arrow--------Icebreaker.jpg

Archived