Turkey Time Soon! Will you be ready.

It won't be long before Turkey hunting opens on Wednesday April 25, 2007 in the Niagara region. Hunting forecast looks good with Turkey number's up in our region. Remember to ask for land owner permission verbal/written and No Trespassing means just that. It's not worth the consequences of getting caught without permission.

Here is a couple of picture's of the gobbler i bagged opening morning last year weight was 18.56lbs, beard length 9.13 inches, left spur .88 inches, right spur .75 inches. Good luck to my fellow wild turkey hunter's and be SAFE in the field.

T>Scavo

IM000477.jpg

IM000481.jpg

IM000489.jpg

I believe he's right on the date Tony. Nice bird.

Hey I know that spot :D

Wild turkey seminar is on the 21st in St Catharines. You gotta do this if you've never hunted turkey before. Not sure if they're full yet. Class of 75 with a minimum of 35. Info on the OFAH site.

There is a possibilty still of a fall hunt in 08 with either sex. Hunters won't need to report to the weigh stations this year and will only have to phone in the harvest in order to get a second tag.

Any tips Tony? Last year my Son and I went fishing in a prime turkey spot. We parked our bikes a ways away and when we returned a pair was checking out my Sons chrome bike as it was sparkling in the sun rays coming through the trees. :Gonefishing: I wonder if hunting with a blind and a miror is legal :D

Dan

Man ......what a great looking tom ! A buddy of mine got a nice jake 2 or 3 yrs ago and gave me a piece of breast meat to taste .........It was just fantastic ! The flavour was soooo turkey ! No fat , but still juicy ! ......Congrats Tony , they are pretty smart birds to bag .

I believe he's right on the date Tony. Nice bird.

Hey I know that spot :rolleyes:

Wild turkey seminar is on the 21st in St Catharines. You gotta do this if you've never hunted turkey before. Not sure if they're full yet. Class of 75 with a minimum of 35. Info on the OFAH site.

There is a possibilty still of a fall hunt in 08 with either sex. Hunters won't need to report to the weigh stations this year and will only have to phone in the harvest in order to get a second tag.

Any tips Tony? Last year my Son and I went fishing in a prime turkey spot. We parked our bikes a ways away and when we returned a pair was checking out my Sons chrome bike as it was sparkling in the sun rays coming through the trees. B) I wonder if hunting with a blind and a miror is legal :D

Dan

Chilli,

Sorry about the date confusion the 23 April is when i go on holidays :P . If you have researched any information on wild Turkey hunting you will find out that the wild turkey has the reputation for being the most wariest game animal to hunt. There heads swivel around like a telescope ! The wild turkey's keen eye sight, sharp hearing, and extreme wariness make it one of the most elusive of all game bird's. Tips well good spring colored camo, turkey calls, blind, Practise your shooting know were your gun or bow is hitting very important. Good luck hope this helps.

T>Scavo

Cliff,

Open your door. It's like a safari. Door closed, all is good. Door opens and day becomes night.

I learned today that they are very inteligent. A coworker set up some decoys. Tom came in and sounded a light alarm. His hens reacted but the decoys didn't. He then sounded the big alarm and they were gone faster then they came.

Cliff.

Those birds know you are a fisherman let's just say the two bird's you seen weren't the smartest turkey's out there that day. :rolleyes:B)

Wild Turkey HISTORY FACTS : The wild turkey has been a prized game bird throughout history !

Hunting the wild turkey is a sport with a long and firmly established North American history. European explorers in the New World wrote of the bird's wariness, abundance, and flavor.

Turkey hunting was an art attempted by only the most experienced, and taking a wild turkey was the mark of a skilled hunter !

The native peoples considered the wild turkey the most challenging of all species to hunt.

Spring turkey hunting is a specialized sport requiring SKILL and plenty of PATIENCE.

The wild turkey is one of the most elusive of all game species.

While turkey hunting is one of the most exciting and rewarding of all hunting experiences, appropriate training is needed to help ensure that it is done SAFELY.

T>Scavo :P:D

Turket hunting "may have been an art" and maybe it used to be that the most skilled hunters would go for this quarry but , times have changed and so have the turkeys. With the growing human population and the ever increasing encroachment on thier habitats these turkeys are becoming more familiar with humans therfore do not associate them as enemies as they once did. Since the introduction of the wild turkey back into the niagara area some years back there has been a population explosion of these delectable birds and thier sightings in residential areas is ever increasing.

I live in a area with a small bush within 200 ft of my door and friday on my way home at 3:00pm as I was pulling into my driveway there standing not 100ft from me were 3 hens and a massive jake. They had no interest in me ....that is until I pulled out the call and the Jake was going nuts. This bird was easy pickins with the crossbow it was that close. I might not have to leave my driveway to bag a sunday dinner this year :worthy:

In my opinion the MNR course on hunting turkeys is a cash grab. I am more fearful of the deer hunters out there and there is no training course for them. My dog was just missed by a bolt from a crossbow a couple of years ago from a young hunter who couldn't tell the difference from 50yrds away, I have seen duck hunters shoot across a river at low flying geese knowing there were people hunting on the other side also. There is no special course for them. I attended a turkey seminar in the U.S that cost me $10 a few years ago that taught me more about the turkey than the MNR course does at $50 bucks a pop. I think its time to include it in our licences just the same as buying a small game or a migratory stamp.

Man ......what a great looking tom ! A buddy of mine got a nice jake 2 or 3 yrs ago and gave me a piece of breast meat to taste .........It was just fantastic ! The flavour was soooo turkey ! No fat , but still juicy ! ......Congrats Tony , they are pretty smart birds to bag .

Thanks smerchy,

You are right they sure taste great ! I deep fried mine and seasoned it with a dry rub. I had people eating the bird that said they would never eat wild game. They are smart i almost gave up the morning i bagged my Tom. It was cold , windy, raining, snowing i headed back to the spot i started gave a locater call and i got an answer the gobbler was so close i quickly set up my decoy's 10 min later he was strutting in front of them . I made a 7 yard shot. :D

T>Scavo

Turket hunting "may have been an art" and maybe it used to be that the most skilled hunters would go for this quarry but , times have changed and so have the turkeys. With the growing human population and the ever increasing encroachment on thier habitats these turkeys are becoming more familiar with humans therfore do not associate them as enemies as they once did. Since the introduction of the wild turkey back into the niagara area some years back there has been a population explosion of these delectable birds and thier sightings in residential areas is ever increasing.

I live in a area with a small bush within 200 ft of my door and friday on my way home at 3:00pm as I was pulling into my driveway there standing not 100ft from me were 3 hens and a massive jake. They had no interest in me ....that is until I pulled out the call and the Jake was going nuts. This bird was easy pickins with the crossbow it was that close. I might not have to leave my driveway to bag a sunday dinner this year :D

In my opinion the MNR course on hunting turkeys is a cash grab. I am more fearful of the deer hunters out there and there is no training course for them. My dog was just missed by a bolt from a crossbow a couple of years ago from a young hunter who couldn't tell the difference from 50yrds away, I have seen duck hunters shoot across a river at low flying geese knowing there were people hunting on the other side also. There is no special course for them. I attended a turkey seminar in the U.S that cost me $10 a few years ago that taught me more about the turkey than the MNR course does at $50 bucks a pop. I think its time to include it in our licences just the same as buying a small game or a migratory stamp.

Tom all new hunters must take the seminar before purchasing a licence. All new hunters have to take a hunter education program before getting their licence. The hunter education program trains in firearms saftey and goes right through eticate, species identification, field of view and even right down to food storage and preparation. My Son will be taking the coarse in July for his Junior hunting licence.

All new hunters are encouraged to seek as much experience on the range before hunting as possible.

Things are much different then the old days and accidents are the lowest ever.

I live in a area with a small bush within 200 ft of my door and friday on my way home at 3:00pm as I was pulling into my driveway there standing not 100ft from me were 3 hens and a massive jake. They had no interest in me ....that is until I pulled out the call and the Jake was going nuts. This bird was easy pickins with the crossbow it was that close. I might not have to leave my driveway to bag a sunday dinner this year ;)

Sirfishalot,

No i disagree with you turkey hunting is an art and has been most recently flourishing, in parts of southern Ontario :) ! And turkey hunting/population is growing. I have never heard of or will ever attempt the art of "Driveway hunting as you say" i guess your turkey calls are better than the real thing :D The hunter trainer course offered for the wild turkey is a fantastic course for the money :D . We hunters must be educated on the game we want to chase especially if you are a serious hunter. learning how to prepare for the hunt, Important safety rules, Equipment, Scouting, Locating, and positioning, wild turkey identification, Ethics are very important. The proper name for a " Massive Jake" is a Gobbler or Tom for an adult Turkey a Jake is a juvenile bird see what you get for $10 U.S. I do agree with you that the MNR should also provide these courses for Deer, Bear, Moose, that's my opinion. Stay out of the woods with your dog during the bow season. You may encounter a inexperienced hunter ;) hint. :rolleyes: .

T>Scavo B)

Archived