Ice Boom

Basshound

It's gone now. If you look right now at the iceboom camera(3:32) you can see the tail end being towed away. So there will be lots of ice for a couple of days and then smallie fishing on Erie!! Wahoooooooooo(I know it will be more than a couple of days for 240 square miles of ice to disappear but a guy can always dream can't he?)

lots of ice coming down the river as we speak, just got back from fishing, and can see it when I pulled into my driveway

Guest Rockfish

Most of the ice has moved out of Erie, except for a few stubborn spots on the American side still making it's way down the river. Haven't seen Weatherman Smerchly's ice report so had to do his job for him. :(

Erie04.jpg

It's a boom that is inserted from the US to Canada to prevent the ice from going over the falls and creating an ice bridge in the gorge where the ice used to stay stuck.

Here is a link for more info.

Niagara Frontier Ice Bridge

Here is what the Niagara River Looked like before they used the ice boom.

Pretty hard to fish.

icebridgeniagarariverja0.jpg

I dropped in on the Peace Bridge today to watch the ice burgs hit the bridge. It's not all that heavy yet and is breaking off in strips. Those break up pretty quick and the ice actually looks kinda yellow and soft.

As I understood the boom also held ice flows back from entering the power plants and doing damage. I'd love to see the ice bridge again.

I'll add a few video clips and pics later.

I was wondering the same thing. Something us non-niagara region guys don't know much about I guess. :P

PB

THE FACTS ON THE LAKE ERIE ICE BOOM

The ice boom is 2,680 metres long. It is installed every winter to reduce ice accumulation on the Niagara River. It is made up of 22 spans, a series of steel pontoons linked together and anchored to the bottom of the river by steel cables. Each span has up to 11 pontoons, each about 9.1 metres long.

Now you know.

T>Scavo :worthy:

Archived