Canada Geese

smerchly

I talked with a guy at Martindale Pond where years ago they sectioned off the pond and put in a lot of stone and gravel etc.to give the geese a place to lay their eggs undisturbed from predators etc. He told me a small boat came in while he was fishing there , and the 2 guys said they were working for the ministry and proceded to spray the eggs of the geese. I'm not sure if eggs are already in the nests , I saw a few eggless nests , but I was wondering if anyone knows if these guys were from the ministry.......The fellow said they didn't have any apparent I.D. on their coats or hats . I know the geese are causing problems and it may be the only way to control them , but I would think they would have better I.D. to let us know this is legit .

well they really have to keep the population down in some areas, and Port D is sure one of them....I guess all the people that go down with big buckets of seed can't read the signs that say not to feed the ducks ect :dunno:

For sure jw .....goose crap is everywhere down Port , making the parks unusable for people & kids . And the dog crap is just as bad....... I'm all for oiling 100% of the eggs & keep it going until the population is cut down.

I know a good way to fix the dog owners who think someone else should take care of their dog's crap........just need to know their addy...... :dunno:

If I don't go to Quinte because of bad weather etc....I'll be doing "crap duty" again this year a day before the kids derby..... :lol:

In the April 2007 issue of OOD, the canadian and american and several other groups did a aerial count around the lake ontario, erie and st clair and their conecting rivers and found close to 740,000 waterfowl during januaryand that compares to the 610,000 overwintering in 2006, i guess it will reach 1,000,000 in no time and there is no end in sight if the temps keep going up and the lakes freeze less and less. i was down at the canal that connects lake ontario and burlington bay and the number of comorants and sea gulls is massive they take up two small rock islands and they look like are burnt from the # of black comorants on them, it's quite a contrast with the white gulls and black comorants.

Guest Rockfish

I'm sure that the sign by Lakeside park says just not to feed the ducks in the parking lot area. Unless they changed the signs, they allow duck feeding. I mostly see mallards in there and I don't think geese are mentioned in the sign but some people and kids probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Lots of places say do not feed the geese since they also eat alot of good grass in parks. Seems as though with the more mild Winters we've had than say 20 yrs ago more geese are hanging around all Winter and I thought they were supposed to go south for a while. :D

Archived