Turkey season has arrived !

Turkey season starts in the Niagara region this Wednesday April 25, and even though I'm far from being an expert on turkey's i can share important information on a couple of vital aspects of turkey hunting. I just wanted to remind my fellow bird hunters to take the time to get there guns, bows sighted in, make sure you know where your gun or bow is hitting you do not want to miss an opportunity bagging a bird you may not get another one this season. Killer ammo sure, generic magnum No. 4s or No. 6s designed for ducks or pheasants will kill a longbeard. Today's turkey hunter is better served by using specialized turkey loads designed to enhance the capabilities of tight-choked shotguns. I use a Truglo Strut Stopper Xtreme Choke Tube with Federal Premium Mag-Shok Flight Control shot No. 4,5,6. I hope this information helps you in the field this year. Good luck to my fellow turkey hunters have a safe and successful season.

T>Scavo :Gonefishing:

Thanks Tony,

Just a few tips I learned at the excellent seminar put on by the OFAH on Saturday.

Never wear red white or blue while hunting turkey. Those are the colours your most likely to be looking for if hunting turkey. So unless your the kind of guy who hunts moose with antlers on your hat, avoid these colours.

Never try and stalk a turkey. Your more likely to find another hunter calling in birds then a turkey itself.

Always get landowner permission for private property. There are more hunting opportunities lost forever because people don't take the time to get to know the landowner and just assume that because there are plenty of turkeys in a field that it's OK to shoot one. This year you must get permission to hunt the NPCA conservation areas in advance.

Be carefull how you place your decoys. Make sure that you are not in a shooting lane if another hunter decides to take a shot at your decoys.

Know where to buy wild turkey. Only one in four tag holders bagged a bird last year. These birds are smart. If you over call them they learn not to fall for that again. If you blink you'll never see them again. There are farms that sell them so if you have to explain to your wife why you needed to spend all that money on gear, at least you can pass her a bird for the oven :Gonefishing:

I'm just excited to be getting out. I won't be hunting until Friday but hopefully I'll get a bird quickly. My Dad's going to start opening day. What are you guys shooting for guns. I shoot an 870 SPS 3" full camo. It's been a great gun for turkey hunting. I also do love the tru glo sights Tony, they truely are stellar. For ammo I find Federal's seem to pattern best in my gun. I shoot #4 mostly with a remington extended supefull choke.

Can you tell im amped to get out??? ha ha

I'm just excited to be getting out. I won't be hunting until Friday but hopefully I'll get a bird quickly. My Dad's going to start opening day. What are you guys shooting for guns. I shoot an 870 SPS 3" full camo. It's been a great gun for turkey hunting. I also do love the tru glo sights Tony, they truely are stellar. For ammo I find Federal's seem to pattern best in my gun. I shoot #4 mostly with a remington extended supefull choke.

Can you tell im amped to get out??? ha ha

Ya you sound like you are ready good luck hope you get your bird this season.

T>Scavo :Gonefishing:

My bud got himself a nice fat Jake this morning about one hour into the hunt ! I told him to save me a piece ....(the breast will do) :) . We used a # 5 shot and said they were beating up on the decoys ! :Gonefishing: He uses a blind & a special hat that allows you to see well enough through the material to make your shot .

My bud got himself a nice fat Jake this morning about one hour into the hunt ! I told him to save me a piece ....(the breast will do) :P . We used a # 5 shot and said they were beating up on the decoys ! :) He uses a blind & a special hat that allows you to see well enough through the material to make your shot .

That's great news smerchly B) . I had two great day's out in the field i finally got my chance this morning after calling in two tom's but i missed :) .

T>Scavo

Archived