Cormorant Article

smerchly

This months mag. includes a one page story on the cormorants . It listed a few fish that I know

they dine on including gobies , perch & minnows . We have seen them take 10" trout at Port Dal. Here's a quick read on them , may be a few things that we weren't aware of . .......

Cormorants.jpg

That is unbelievable, that the cormorants went from 300 (the lowest point) to 113,000 pairs.

What is even more astonishing is the time line in which it happened. It an increase in population of 2055 pairs a year if my math is correct...it usually isn't. That is asonishing that even with culling they increased that fast.

The decline/plateau is pretty easily explained. Mother nature has a way of controlling things, the birds ran out of food and space (nesting areas most likely) Its simple biology, I learned this in high school, and I am sure others have too.

Where did the cormorants migrate from if they are a native species. I don't remeber seeing them around til a couple of years ago. I first saw them on the big rock by the Maid of the Mist.

What is the current population of cormorants in Ontario?

Do they have a natural enemy (are they prey for something)? Maybe thats why they are out of control, something or someone killed off the one predatory animal that hunted them.

These things are gonna be just like pigeons and seagulls! Disease spreading, doo-doo machines!!

Archived