Little Bows

fishin_hamilton

We got a few rainbow smelt last night :) Those little guys are perty to look at ,even that small . There have been thousands od browns and salmon released from Port Dal.harbour lately.....don't know where bows have been released......maybe 50 point ?

I noticed 6 or 7 cormorants feasting on young salmon at Port today ;):)

Dan...it's hard to tell what size the fish are these birds are devouring . I'm assuming that they are after the 100,000 salmon that were released there over the last 2 days . They were feasting close to the Rooker Rd.Gate

Guest Rockfish

You're right chilli, after looking through a few pics with some of the smaller salmon parr it is kinda hard to tell. ;)

caught a few of those last year in the whirlpool in the spring...was nice to see. The fish at port maybe should have been released when the water was dirty...do you think that would have helped the cormorants from seeing them....who knows.

Guest cplummer

I have been catching those lil bows for many years now in the smaller creeks in the niagara region while fishing for the bigger ones ..I made a call to MRN a few years back and they told me they could be natural fish (non stocked) as a few do actually hatch and survive,, the numbers are small but it was good news..

cliff...

Dan,

Too large for salmon.....this time of year. Around the great lakes, most salmon spend about 9 months in the stream. Hatch out in late winter/early spring, at about 3 to 4 inches, they smolt out. In warmer streams, they'll head out anytime from june till fall.

With rainbow parr, you'll see red markings between parr marks. Also, with chinook, during that stage you'll only find spots on the tail on the upper lobe. Rainbow parr have no red on the adipose fin, and if you count 11 dorsal fin rays, you've got a bow.

Those are bows in the pics.

That 9 months includes the egg stage BTW.

hey good fishin man thanks for sharing...hopefully I'm gettin the grandmother tommorrow on the big river :dunno::Gonefishing:

it used to be my fav stream until a few yrs back and i found one closer to home and now after seeing some fishing there last fall i checked it out again and the ministry changed some regs and the fishing is making a comeback but it still gets under my skin seeing dead fish with the bellies slit and thrown away like garbage. i seen the CO on the upper part on monday and i was happy to see one out and about. maybe i might see u on the river this summer joe catching some smallies cause the lower part near the park was the first place i took the wife bass fishing on the creek. the best investment was getting a new rod this spring and i am glad i did it helped alot to have a better rod and she faought good on 4lb mainline and 2lb leader. all i need to do is find a place to fish for some resident browns and bows around millgrove.

i just might be able to help you out with the browns and brookies

in that area :dunno: been stalking those creeks for over 30 years now .

we dont see many bows but , there are a few places close to home

for them too!! :D i hear you on the poaching that goes on , crap like

that just boils our blood :Gonefishing:

its great to hear another fishermen that takes the wife along too!!

cant keep pauline away from the water ;)

PM sent

Archived