Calhoun's Catfish Deby

Tom Chopin

I was just looking up the date for this event and thought I'd pass it along as I know a lot of people attend this event.

CATFISH DERBY SETS 2007 DATE

Saturday, June 2, 2007 will be the date for the 29th Annual Calhoun Sportswear Catfish Derby with the same weigh-in registration and entertainment site as in previous years, Calhoun Sportswear, 250 Bunting Road in St. Catharines from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.. The organizing committee has held its first planning meeting and has chosen popular Niagara outdoorsman Joe Montgomery as its chair.

Thanks for the info Tom .....this is another great event for the kids . My buddies grandaughter caught a huge crappie at Daley Park last year & won herself a nice prize . Kudos to Calhoun for keeping this going for so many years . :Gonefishing:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once again I'll miss the derby .....heading out to Deseronto again this weekend . And I hope both the derby here & the fishing there will bring us good fishing and good weather for the event.

My Boys will have to miss again. Already going to the OFAH kids campout. This is the kind of reason an alliance and a common calandar are needed. I really enjoyed the Calhouns derby as a kid. If we got skunked we just brought in a crayfish and still got a prize :lol:

Does anyone know what they do with the Live Fish? ^_^

• 1 year later...

The 30th Catfish derby was once again a great success helping to raise funds for Niagara Peninsula Children's center. I don't have all the winners but the winning carp was over 24 pounds and the winning cat was over 18 pounds ( a new record for the derby!)

I guessing there had to be around 800-900 kids that participated. Highlights for me besides getting to handle a 24 pound carp and an 18 pound catfish were getting to meet Marcel Dion who got the event kicked off. They had a custom chopper motorcycle with NHL pictures/history/logos/etc that was truly amazing. And seeing all the little smiling faces of kids who had spent the morning or day fishing with friends and family. Lots of fun!

Archived