transporting minnows

Guest old guy

Guest old guy

I don't have my regs handy but I think its illegal to fish with live bait taken from a source other than the water being fished!!!!! However if it is OK and you have lots of minnows to transport and need to keep them alive...you might want to try this. Requirements .. a container of appropriate size..perhaps an old cooler or large bucket.....having a lid helps to minimize slops while driving

......... an adapter [15 watt should be OK] ..that fits into the lighter socket on the dash .....the adapter converts DC to AC A small converter is about 15 bucks at Can tire....... portable converters also work.

..A small aquarium pump that you may have around the house that will plug into the converter

...A length of hose that will fit the pump and lead into the container..... you may have to tie a chunk of lead to the hose so that it stays in the container. The water should be the same temp as the water from which the minnows were obtained.

By keeping the minnows aerated the numbers that die from lack of oxygen is minimal.

If in doubt, try it out at home first. :huh::rolleyes:

TRANSPORTING MINNOWS:Old guy yes you are right it is ILLEGAL to transport minnows from one water source to another. That also applies to any fish speicies,another thing is it is not good to dump your minnows down the hole when you leave, because you don't know if the bait shop you got them from told you the truth of where they came from so if YOUR not sure take them with you better safe than ruining a water source for the future of angling, we all know this is done but it's up to each of us to make sure that this practice stops, PLEASE. As far as keeping them alive you can get oyx tabs at the bait shop or you can buy a small airator run with 2 d size batt,these work very well. Good luck on the hard water and don't forget SAFETY FIRST :huh: Rob Mcintosh

Or you can buy these bubble tabs from a bait store, they work really well, one time i kept some minnows for over 24 hrs on two bubble tabs. they work great if you dont have pump or any electrical eqiupment.

Brad

Guest bigfish1965

I don't think it is illegal anymore, I think you just cannot dump them when finished. I've gone through the reg's and that's all it says about minnows. It was illegal at one point, but does not appear that way anymore since when you buy minnows, you really don't know where they are from.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
A friend of mine has a battery operated bubbler thatclips onto the side of the minnow pail.  He said he got it at Canadian Tire some time back, but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

Does anyone know where they might sell these devices?

6745[/snapback]

I bought one from Denis @ fishinniagara,he's got a couple left. The have changed the law for how many traps you can have set for minnows,your only allowed one trap now,and you have to have your name on it, or in it.

As for transporting minnows,Bigfish is right,I've bought minnows at a tackel store up north and asked about this,they looked at me like I was crazy.

My minnow tank,just break the ice and there good to go.

Fish_tank2.JPG

Brian , just pour some of that merc oil on the water & it won't freeze .. :huh: ...As for transporting minnows , I use a 5 gal pail with a lid to stop splashing out , and l have a Rapala air pump that uses 2 D batteries which is supposed to go for up to 45 hrs. The line from the pump goes tightly through the lid with a small air-stone on 2 ft of aquarium air line , and another hole same size in the centre of the lid to let the air escape. The inverter idea with a 110 volt aquarium pump is ok too ! As for salted minnows I use pickling salt & cover them good with lots of salt. I have some minnows in the garage in a 40 gal plastic barrel with a bigger air pump and larger stone . I have the barrel elevated off the floor with three 2x6 's so that I can put a 60 watt bulb under it to help stop it freezing up . Works great!

Brian , just pour some of that merc oil on the water & it won't freeze .. :huh: 

6764[/snapback]

But that oil is $70,fourth one since Nov 2003,Nicholls said it would last me all one season and part of the next summer,after I bought my 3rd with he revised that to inclued "Most normal ppl it would last......" :rolleyes:

But that oil is $70,fourth one since Nov 2003,Nicholls said it would last me all one season and part of the next summer,after I bought my 3rd with he revised that to inclued "Most normal ppl it would last......"  :lol:

6769[/snapback]

$70 for oil?? Sounds like an excuse for a trip to CTC to me. :D

$70 for oil?? Sounds like an excuse for a trip to CTC to me.  :D

6792[/snapback]

That is for 2 gallons and it's for my oil injected engine,I see know sense in buying cheap oil for my baby :lol:

what if you don't have pump, but have just  the cooler!  how long will the stay alive in there if I get them friday morning around 9:30 and fish with them on Sat morning at 5 am!

6724[/snapback]

Ive kept them alive for weeks by just putting a shovel of snow in the 5gal. pail every couple of days . there is enough oxygen in the melting snow to sustain them for awhile.

Archived