Smelting And Netting A Fish?

Snakeyes

I was down at Queenston boat ramp today to kill an hr and just people watch. There was a very large group of people there smelting as I watched one of them netted a 10-12 lbs muskie. He quickly killed it with a knife and put it in his van under some bags. I think muskie season is closed till June 1st right???? but also it was caught in a net. Is this legal if in season or not. My cell was dead so I could not call MNR. Any info would be great I just may hang out there more with a full battery next time.

Jeff

even if it was in season it has to be greater than 54inches and caught with a rod and a sports liscence.... i would have call it in right away

were they getting any smelt ?

Size limit is 48 inches on the lower, not that any size musky should be kept anyways, and season opens 3rd sat in june, thats pretty disturbing news, i cant believe people like that are still out there, hopefully he gets what he deserves. And no even if it was in season and legal size you can still not keep it because it was netted.

Size limit is 48 inches on the lower, not that any size musky should be kept anyways, and season opens 3rd sat in june, thats pretty disturbing news, i cant believe people like that are still out there, hopefully he gets what he deserves. And no even if it was in season and legal size you can still not keep it because it was netted.

sry to announce but i checked the regs online b4 i posted its 54 inches now but no one should be keeping them anywayz they probably taste like crap and very boney

CO called back about 1.5 hrs since report he was in halton but is leaving to go check it out. Hope that dirt bag is still there. We need more COs or a some sort of civilian trained group to help out. Just my 2 cents. But for a first time caller to the MNR it was very professional from both the report line and the CO. Keep up the good work guys/girls!!!!!!!!

and for the record I did call about 20 min after getting home. I was in my wifes car no pen or paper, which i have put in since also a spare phone charger for my phone. I will not get caught hands tied again. I have a camera in my car at all times in case I need it will look into a cheap one for her car too.

I was also down there today. Saw the Netters". Was disgusted at the mess. Rubber gloves all over the place. Plastic

bottles everywhere.

As far as Queenston goes...this quote is pretty much how I feel now. "I used to love her but I had to kill her"

just came back drom a return visit to the boat ramp, apart from the hundred people down there now with smelt nets and 12 inch round nets on 12 foot poles LMAO even my son laughed under his breath........ why are they putting a net as big as you have in your minnow bucket?????? the people the goof was with were still there but guy was gone so fingers crossed he got busted!!!!!!

just a question , and please excuse my ignorance. But, if the person in question was native, would this act still be considered illegal or would it be legal.

thank you

robbyc

to the best of my knowledge, in that case i think it would be considered legal, as long as its going towards table fare, but i could be wrong

I realize that COs are busy, and few and far between, but couldn't they be informed that the zoo is happening beforehand? Like calling the MNR up and saying, "hey its smelt run time at queenston, I bet you guys could make some money if you had a few COs down there to check licenses, etc". They could just hide out a few blocks away, and every couple hours take a trip down to the docks, and check for licences, bait buckets, possession limits and so on. Maybe have a few police down there to give out some littering fines and so on.

Is something like that feasible?

The MNR have been down there every night that I have been there. Also I have noticed that Niagara Parks Police have also been checking licences this year! NRP has also been down there checking licences. So they are using 3 different resources to monitor the situation. I was talking to one of the Niagara parks police one night and there was probably 150 people down there and they only caught one without a licence. I was shocked! Only one??!!

Also, every year I go down there and I see people net walleye. I tell them they can't keep it and they pretend they don't understand and they pack their stuff up and leave. My phone catches the US tower and I get no service. It's a very hard thing to monitor.

The MNR have been down there every night that I have been there. Also I have noticed that Niagara Parks Police have also been checking licences this year! NRP has also been down there checking licences. So they are using 3 different resources to monitor the situation. I was talking to one of the Niagara parks police one night and there was probably 150 people down there and they only caught one without a licence. I was shocked! Only one??!!

Also, every year I go down there and I see people net walleye. I tell them they can't keep it and they pretend they don't understand and they pack their stuff up and leave. My phone catches the US tower and I get no service. It's a very hard thing to monitor.

Are they just checking licenses? Do smelt even have a posession limit? I don't have the regs in front of me so I don't know. I guess it might be a hassle to count every smelt that everyone has to seeif they're over limit if there is a limit on them.

Are they just checking licenses? Do smelt even have a posession limit? I don't have the regs in front of me so I don't know. I guess it might be a hassle to count every smelt that everyone has to seeif they're over limit if there is a limit on them.

No catch or posession limit. Just need your license and a net not exceeding specific size of 6' x 6'.

Decades back you used to have to purchase a special tag for smelting. It cost you a $1

Archived