My first deer

Dan Andrews

I have something to admit :dunno:

I wounded that deer and didn't recover it :)

Yes there was a little bit of blood. Not much but I tracked it for 2 days. After the first half mile the blood drops stopped. I was horrified but I knew it wasn't fatal but I just really wanted to find a dead deer or see one with a bad scratch. My Son and I came back and searched the area real good with no success :dunno:

Well I decided not to shoot a doe this year. Seeing as I wounded one I figured that should delete my tag but I'll keep it just in case. Well tonight this little doe sneaks up right under my stand from behind me. She's distracted by my decoy but this time she doesn't avoid it. In fact she mollested it pretty good!

She walks out in front of me broadside at about 6.5 yards! I couldn't help but take the shot. I'm not going meatless because of a mistake I made on Sunday.

GUESS WHAT I FOUND ON HER BELLY?

FINALLY.jpg

The wound I put there on Sunday! :dunno: This picture is her already gutted but the dark mark is the old wound.

I feel so much better. I have meat in the freezer AND............... I recovered the deer I wounded on Sunday :):dunno:

ME SO HAPPY

More pictures later.

Congrats kiddo .........you finally got your deer ! The old man like veni-steak ya know ...... :dunno: Henry looks like you just shot "Dasher" or Prancer......hope you told him it was "Olive" :dunno: Let me know how my old skinning knife works ...... :)

your Dad beat me too it man....first off, bravo on finally bagging yourself one. :lol: ..now we need a trade..I can catch the fish..umm..you can shoot the steaks :o

cool story behind that as well along the way.....you should have put a littlemore shock value on it though for the kids....it's only a couple days until Santa comes, should have gotten one of those big red clown noses, stuck it on her, then you could have called the kids out and say hey.." Look what I got, sorry guys but this year there will be no toys" :o:P

Thanks John

So as you can see my first deer is very small but I'm happy none the less. It's December 20th and its time to put some meat in the freezer. This little girl has blessed everyone of my four stands several times this year and I've let it escape. On Sunday it looked allot bigger and I took the shot and missed taking a little hair and leaving a small blood trail which I painfully followed for a half mile then search for days afterward.

DSCF6222.jpg

Well this deer hasn't shown any fear all season and that isn't good for her. It's sibling, a male, was quite the opposite. I'll see him in 2 years I hope. I have seen many bucks but they all come in after legal shoot time. The does are plentiful here and I will extend an invite to anyone to come with me on the 31'st who does not yet have a filled tag because animal management is what its all about and there are allot of animals here. So despite the small size of this guy, I don't feel too bad.

DSCF6228.jpg

When I was cleaning this deer I was very cautious because I know the importance of properly field dressing a deer. So I took my time (20 minutes on the anus&genitals alone). As I was doing it I felt a presence and could here something in the hedgerow 35 yards away. My Bow already back in the car wouldn't defend me against coyotes and the tracks were everywhere in the fresh snow. All I had was a boning knife.

As I completed the task in my yellow rain coat I stood up to stretch my back and it became apparent I was not alone. A loud snort followed by an awful horking type noise put a shiver through me and my hair stood up. As I started dragging this deer by the back feet down the trail I kept on eye on the bushes where all the noise was coming from. Kinda expected a big rack in my back if I turned around :lol: . They could smell her I'm sure as her gut pile lay steaming in the field next to them. I wonder if they'll be anywhere near there now despite my offering of apples.

Well done Dan !

I know you put in a lot of time.

Glad to see you were finally rewarded.

Read up on field dressing, didn't realize how

how important it is to do it properly.

Just drop off my jerky when it's done at your dad's :lol:

Guest BOWED-UP

Truly awesome! although am new and haven't corresponded with fellow members, can appreciate the value of relating. I am 41 of age, fished all my life(not just a seasonal advocate) and always interested in broading my horizons and pursuing a passion for hunting. Not knowing the finer points, set out to learn.

Been hunting for five yrs. now(namely bow). From the beginning of first yr till this yr, have had several disappointments and but as result gained much knowledge. I'ts truly a devastating feeling when a days adventure goes sour. I had a similiar experience the very first outing- first day( I had personal friend who has hunted majority of his life help me through my questions).

I had several deer pass by within 15-30 yrds- clear shots. But finally the right shot presented itself(remember like yesterday). Everything going through the mind as I had learned in class to what friends have told me, just be "patient", and wait for the shot! Well thats exactly what had happened. A fairly nice buck (spike)- 180 dressed stood total broadside at 18 yrds( as though he were my decoy target). He's sniffing the ground(checking scent). My eyes watch every movement- he moves I move. I have full draw- let lose- wham bulls-eye. My hearts racing and want to run to the deer, but gain composier and sit back wait. Now it's about 11.30- lunch time(thats what my fellow hunter and I agreed upon to meet). Perfect- I get down, go over to where I shot, look for blood, find arrow and all is well. A river of blood I find and the entire shaft all the way to fletchings is covered in blood- pass through. I leave, go meet friend, tell him the news and we head back to track deer. we found blood trail and followed good 60 yrds expecting deer. Blood all over! get to spot where deer had bedded down- pool of blood but no deer. We searched and searched and searched. My stomach sanked became ill with grief. Still to this day I lower my head, but the good news is that deer did get recovered b/c two days later when I went back to the location of the pool of blood did more tracking found a set of gloves and guts of a deer within yrds. Since have had other experiences but main thing is never give up!

Someone took your deer? :P

Boy I can relate to that story. I'm 40 in my second year of hunting. Let a good one walk last year because I watched too much T.V. and expected a bigger one to follow. Much bigger than this one. I also left my cotton gloves in the field. Soaking wet with blood. The coyotes will have something to play tug a war with :o

Boy I was surprised at the size and density of the heart. I'm definatley thinking the next gut job will be easier now that I know what to expect. Well for a doe anyway. Not looking forward to cutting around a buck's you know :lol: . As for the esophagus, wow did I ever fight to get that out. Had to stand on one cheek a rip like Hercules.

Talked to another hunter this fall who tracked a bled out deer on his knees. Found it and it got up and ran another 75 yards. Truly incredible animals in my book. Anyway, off to the butcher in a blizzard. :o

Guest BOWED-UP

nice chili, off to the butchers- reaping rewards of much effort- looks easy on the boob-tube. So much goes into preparation b/fore actual hunt. Then comes that day, everything fall together, conditions are perfect, your on top of the world- then get brain brammaged! Keeping your cool through entire process from shot to total harvest.- stupid t.v. MEMORRIES if "you haven't laughed or cried in a given day"; "haven't lived full life". Stupid boob tube.

A great suggestion is "learning how to process your own game" therefore unless you know and trust those who your dealing with, some don't hold the same "ethics". It has happened to me, bagged a deer, paid $75 for processing and got bad cuts- ended up getting sick- it wasn't fresh!

Dan, in the furture get yourself a "butcher's chart" with all the different cuts on it and I can show you how to do it..it's not really that hard you just have to follow the natural form of the muscles, you would see if someone showed you..refer to the chart for your different cuts..nothin worse than someone doing it who doesn't know what they are doing..cut the meat wrong against the grain ect and you wind up with meat as tough as leather, do it the right way and you get excellent cuts.

I learned how to do a bit of butchering way back 20 years ago when I went to cooking school , we actually did a whole deer in cooking school,and also when I put in my apprenticeship hours years back I have done sides of beef and pigs

Guest BOWED-UP

YOU ARE SO RIGHT JWL. What I wish is legislation to allow the ability to field dress their game here in new york. I'm not a very big person, 5' 7 160 pounds, dragging at uphill can be an exhausting ordeal, especially when not fortified by help (another hunter or four-wheeler). I don't have full use of private land (don't own) so I hunt state land (LETCHWORTH STATE PARK). I have several spots that I hunt but many times get invaded by people who don't do there own scouting, therfore as yr begins pushed to places that most wouldn't go ( all canyon). granted these are prime spots when pressure is on, But I'lle tell you Wish i didn't smoke.

Hey, good going Dan!!!!! Congratulations on your deer.

Sorry to hear about the one you lost. It happened to me last year. The anguish I felt after wounding that deer was almost unbearable. I lost sleep, it was on my mind for many weeks and I almost hung up my crossbow last season.

Way to get back on that horse, Dan!!! :D

I was so glad to see that deer healthy and happy and curiously nuzzling my decoy because this told me I did not cause suffering for almost a week. I'm also glad I got to harvest that happy healthy deer because now I won't have to worry if the wound would have caused it a disadvantage (used up immunities) in the later months of winter. My first shot at a deer ruined my entire season. My second shot made my season better than I could have thought possible!

wound.jpg

Most of the trauma you see here is my first gut job which went off without a hitch but the black spot is where I grazed it on Sunday. The previous picture was the perfect shot from Saturday :D .

I was so glad to see that deer healthy and happy and curiously nuzzling my decoy because this told me I did not cause suffering for almost a week. I'm also glad I got to harvest that happy healthy deer because now I won't have to worry if the wound would have caused it a disadvantage (used up immunities) in the later months of winter. My first shot at a deer ruined my entire season. My second shot made my season better than I could have thought possible!

wound.jpg

Most of the trauma you see here is my first gut job which went off without a hitch but the black spot is where I grazed it on Sunday. The previous picture was the perfect shot from Saturday :mellow: .

Congrats Dan on a terrific deer!

Matt

Congrats man, bet you felt like a kid again. Glad it was the same one, she must of liked you to come back lol. My grandfather got one with an arrow in it's leg durring shotgun season one year and it was already going bad, the butcher said not to eat the meat. Good Job! You will get you Buck next year I bet!

Archived