Bowfishing

DarkEdge

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Niagara Region. Only been here about six months. I've found a few places to fish with decent success, but one thing I really love is bowfishing. I just don't know the regulations, or any place good (or where no one will call NRP or OPP for shooting at fish with an arrow.) Can anyone offer some good locations and anything specific I should know about? Things like minimal bow weight, limits on where in a body I can shoot? Thanks.

Dark Edge

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the regs for it are in the ontario fishing regs summary. It's on the mnr website, or the easier way, just ask for a fishing regulations book at any fishing store around. Canadian tire has them at the service desk. They're free.

Print versions are easier and will piss you off less trying to look things up in it. Plus you can carry it.

I would suggest looking at them carefully before going because I garuntee you will get alot of attention from people and game wardens if you're walking around water banks with a compound. Not alot of people do it around here. Where are you from anyway?

Just moved up from Oklahoma. Not a lot of people do it down there, but it's more widely known, and even accepted. But I moved to Thorold end of last year.

And I can imagine how much trouble the regs would be to figure out. Learning the hunting regs has been a big enough headache.

The regs are not hard to figure out.

It's on page 11 of the regs, 'non angling methods of capturing fish'. The only three species available for bow hunting are Bowfin, Carp and White sucker.

you can fish for Carp with a bow in Zone 16, which is here.......................I'm 100% certain I read that in there. there are others you can bow hunt for too, but I do remember Carp for certain.

Rich

you can fish for Carp with a bow in Zone 16, which is here.......................I'm 100% certain I read that in there. there are others you can bow hunt for too, but I do remember Carp for certain.

Rich

Bowfin is listed with no open season. Carp and white sucker only in Zone 16. During daylight hours only. Now I just need someplace to shoot without anyone bothering me.

I would say that's pretty much anywhere around here. I doubt anyone would bother you and if you have your license(s) on you, you won't have any problems. I'de say Lake Gibson would be your best bet..............lot's of open shoreline to fish from.

Rich

I would say that's pretty much anywhere around here. I doubt anyone would bother you and if you have your bow and arrow on you, you won't have any problems. I'de say Lake Gibson would be your best bet..............lot's of open shoreline to fish from.

Rich

fyp

I heard martindale has so many the rowers hit em when there paddles, maybe you could get paid to shoot em. Tons near the Qew and the trainbridge going over the welland river, its nice and shallow in there and clear until you pass the hydro canal then it muddies up.

I heard martindale has so many the rowers hit em when there paddles, maybe you could get paid to shoot em. Tons near the Qew and the trainbridge going over the welland river, its nice and shallow in there and clear until you pass the hydro canal then it muddies up.

The train bridge next to the 406? That's the only bridge I know of, so if there's another, let me know.

the shoreline of Gibson is mostly open and mostly rock and/or gravel. and it's very shallow close to shore, so you could chum the swim and wait for the big uns to come in. I' got some pretty big ones in the last time I chummed at Marlatts. a few of them were as big as the almost 30 pounder that we watched being caught at CD park the other week.

the shoreline of Gibson is mostly open and mostly rock and/or gravel. and it's very shallow close to shore, so you could chum the swim and wait for the big uns to come in. I' got some pretty big ones in the last time I chummed at Marlatts. a few of them were as big as the almost 30 pounder that we watched being caught at CD park the other week.

All this talk of big carp is getting my fingers itchy. Man, I wish I had my license. By the time I get it, you guys are goin'a have all the big ones!

All this talk of big carp is getting my fingers itchy. Man, I wish I had my license. By the time I get it, you guys are goin'a have all the big ones!

DE you'll have all the big ones to yourself. I think your in for a bit of culture shock here as most here won't kill fish that they don't plan on eating. You may want to check with the ministry about wasting meat when you buy a licence too because we are not allowed to let the meat of a fish spoil here. Eating these large carp may not be a healthy food choice either. Also most of the carp fishermen here take on the English angling attitude and have an affection for the fish. This whole topic must have their fingers itchy but they know a flaming of your sport will just get deleted anyway if what your doing is legal.

Enjoy your bowfishing but please don't post any pictures of dead carp :roflblack: if your not going to eat them. That would likely keep us mods way too busy :deadhorse:

I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to post his catch. Do you release your deer and turkey? If your wife traps a mouse or a rat in the house do you skin it and eat it? Carp are labeled as invasive species, to me that means you should either treat like gobies or start releasing live snakehead while your fishing cause whats the difference there only invasive right...

You told us during smelt season to take as many as u want only after finding out they were invasive and no limit, the week before that you were sidekick MNR telling ppl to take pictures of the containers of fish. It is obvious you just go with the flow and say what sounds best at the time.

I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to post his catch. Do you release your deer and turkey? If your wife traps a mouse or a rat in the house do you skin it and eat it? Carp are labeled as invasive species, to me that means you should either treat like gobies or start releasing live snakehead while your fishing cause whats the difference there only invasive right...

You told us during smelt season to take as many as u want only after finding out they were invasive and no limit, the week before that you were sidekick MNR telling ppl to take pictures of the containers of fish. It is obvious you just go with the flow and say what sounds best at the time.

Boy Randy you have a real chip on your shoulder for me this week. I'm going to let it slide because I want people to see your true colours before we delete you.

• Smelt are an invasve species
  • They stocked king salmon just to get rid of them
  • The more you take the better
  • People take them to eat them
  • It is illegal however to sell them so if you know they are taking them to sell at the fish market, take pictures and send them to the MNR
  • Gobies much like smelt are invasive
  • Remove as many as you like but like smelt if you catch one; I won't call the tips line if you release it
  • Killing gobies and throwing them back is not eating them
  • I eat the wild turkey I kill
  • I eat the deer I kill
  • snakeheads are rare and pose a huge threat
  • Snakeheads have not naturalized and are not beyond control or become part of the food chain
  • I would suggest not only killing a snakehead immediately but retaining it for the OMNR

Any more questions Randy?

Dark Edge welcome to the area but as you see it doesn't matter if you follow the rules or not there are people that will flame you none the less. Those people will get deleted from the board but just so you know there are allot of anglers who disagree with bowfishing for sport if the meat is not consumed. If I ate carp I'd be showing you the best places to fish for them.

I've got a good recipe for carp, makes it so the bones can be eaten. And I don't mind. I was even flamed back home for doing it. Honestly, I miss more than I ever get. If I get one fish on a trip (and I take maybe one trip a month), I'm doing good. Two fish is amazing.

But after looking a little closer, I'm starting to think I'll retire my arrows. Maybe one day they'll come in handy for me. But until I can get my cooking method back in order, I'll have to give up on bow fishing.

Thanks anyways chill.

To be honest, I'd love to see some of your future catches. Hell, link a video to one if you ever take one, I've never seen bowfishing in action. I personally have no problem with you taking down some carp even if you're not eating them (god help whoever does), because there's a ridiculous amount of "replacement" carp in any body of water you'd take it out of. All the power to ya.

Simple to eat them. The only thing that changes is the water you take them from. If you know the water is good, then it's a simple process.

1. Fillet like you would any other fish. Be careful of over sized rib bones.

2. Chunk up into easier to handle pieces.

3. Soak in salt water overnight. (About 1/4 cup in a litre of water)

4. Pressure cook in lightly salted water. (about 2 tablespoons per litre)

5. Form into patties, and fry.

It's home made fish patties. McFillet At Home.

buddies of mine go down to Florida twice a year to bow fish for HUGE Gar Pike. there's a video of them on youtube and I can post it if ya like. as DE said, they miss more than they catch, so a lot of the video is them missing a whole bunch of fish. LOL. I believe the one they brought back with them was 70+ inches and about 30+ inches in girth, at the gill plate. if you have any vids of bow hunting for Carp, post them up, or pics for that matter. I'm also interested to see what you've caught with this method. if everyone respects everyone for the way they do things (as long as it's legal), then there should be no problems. I've seen pics of guys holding fish in ways that I've thought was unethical, but kept to myself. like Chilli said, there are those that will flame you, but that's his job to take care of that. LOL. I say post away my friend. :angry:

Rich

or better yet. get your rod out and come join us to fish for Carp. there's some monsters around this region, just waiting to be caught. :angry: my boilies have got to get me one hooked, sooner or later. if not, we'll fire up your bow instead. LOL.

Being respectful to those who don't like to see dead animals, fish or otherwise, I haven't ever taken pictures of the carp I've gotten. Pole is one thing, not many people want to see a fish with an arrow through it. Can't say I blame them. But if I ever get to go out, I'll be sure to get some pictures, and send them to you privately Rich. No video yet. I only have a still camera. So unless someone wants to come record me, it'll be a while before there's any video.

or better yet. get your rod out and come join us to fish for Carp. there's some monsters around this region, just waiting to be caught. :angry: my boilies have got to get me one hooked, sooner or later. if not, we'll fire up your bow instead. LOL.

Lol. Well, as soon as someone finds a loophole to get me a license for nothing, I'll be all over that. I just have to wait a bit longer, or sell an air conditioner. Then I'll be glad to join you guys for some monsters.

Archived