Bowfishing

DarkEdge

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, and so you know, chilli, she reads the forum too. She's not registered, but she reads over them.

Sorry didn't know you were married. When you make that promise legal you can no longer take fishing over women. Not if your a man of your word anyway. :dunno:

I was lucky enough to marry a woman that fishes. But we just bought a house, on top of all my residency paperwork, and a week long trip to Oklahoma the first week of May. So neither of us have a license. But I just got a replacement outdoors card, so I'm ready to go waterlog a line.

How many worms will it cost for 180 sq feet of hardwood for my living room?? just asking :P

$43 = 500 worms so divide 43 into the cost of the floor and multiply that by 500. That will tell you how many worms are needed to do your floor. :dunno::blush:

$43 = 500 worms so divide 43 into the cost of the floor and multiply that by 500. That will tell you how many worms are needed to do your floor. :dunno::blush:

I think I'm getting the better deal. Just saying.

I think I'm getting the better deal. Just saying.

Seriously...I think he's going to harakiri if he doesn't get his license soon. Hopefully when I get paid this Friday I'll have a bit of extra cash to get it taken care of. :-) As much as I enjoy tag-team worm catching in our backyard, I think I'll just put out.

Guest TC1OZ
Seriously...I think he's going to harakiri if he doesn't get his license soon. Hopefully when I get paid this Friday I'll have a bit of extra cash to get it taken care of. :-) As much as I enjoy tag-team worm catching in our backyard, I think I'll just put out.

You should just buy the guy a license.

I'm sick of hearing about it... :lol:

Captnn, looks like fate and worms don't move at the samee pace. Half the night hunting only yeilded 22 caught worms. At that rate, I might get 500 by Thanksgiving. So thanks for the offer. We'll definitely go try to hook up with some carp one day.

Sounds like you may be better off not getting a license lol. Wish my wife would make that offer :lol:

Sounds like you may be better off not getting a license lol. Wish my wife would make that offer :lol:

LMAO. I'm with ya on that one. :crazy: or perhaps she meant put out for money to get the license? hmmmmmmmmmmm. hahahahahahaha. I'm totally kidding, just struck me funny. gotta love the weird English sense of humour. LOL.

Rich

LMAO. I'm with ya on that one. :lol: or perhaps she meant put out for money to get the license? hmmmmmmmmmmm. hahahahahahaha. I'm totally kidding, just struck me funny. gotta love the weird English sense of humour. LOL.

Rich

Ahhh, I meant put out for the money to get the license!! LOL!

like I said, put out to get the money. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

you gotta watch it on here, cause some of us are pigs and will take it that way. ok, ok, so all men are pigs, I admit it. hahahahahaha

Guest TC1OZ

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I knew what she meant anyways.

My minds always in the gutter! My wife just cleans them occasionally!

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I knew what she meant anyways.

My minds always in the gutter! My wife just cleans them occasionally!

I have to clean my own mind. No one else wants to touch it.

To save your @$$ and the @$$es of those who don't want to see pics of impaled carp, name the topic something like "Carp Bowfishing: NSFW" or something along those lines. Mind you, I'm sure someone will get their backs up anyway. It's just the way some people are.

I had to back track a couple pages to see where the subject ended, and after reading the regs on "other forms of catching fish" , I found the info on page 11 . I have never encountered anyone using a projectile weapon such as a cross bow to shoot fish . I do not like it , I think there is a certain amount of danger where one guy is shooting a carp or bowfin near an angler . Mr.Murphy told me, accidents happen ....... :) We have some very devoted carp anglers here & they treat these fish like others treat bass or trout . As stated above , some people will get their backs up .....including the general public , many who may think fishing with a hook is barbaric . I also noted there is no limit on carp which means you can fill a truck if you wish ? That invites the sale of fish illegally . If the mnr wants to rid carp in our waters , they should cull them . Shooting them with weapons would not be welcomed by the public . To me , it is not fishing and enjoying the fight with a rod & reel .....it is more a thrill seeking adventure and I'm sure many wounded fish that were cut buy the arrow would die later . Hunting fish with a bow is not fishing ....it's more in the hunting cata'gory" . To each his own , not my cup of tea , but it is legal & like anything else , mistakes & mishaps will occur such as shooting a big bass in murky waters that looked like a carp ....... I'm not hitting on the carp shooters but please have respect for the guys who go to lengths to release their carp to catch another day . I have a new found respect for carp fishing after attending a very interesting & informative seminar at the SCGFA last meeting by a fellow NFN member . That is why I put my toonies worth here . :roflblack:

I had to back track a couple pages to see where the subject ended, and after reading the regs on "other forms of catching fish" , I found the info on page 11 . I have never encountered anyone using a projectile weapon such as a cross bow to shoot fish . I do not like it , I think there is a certain amount of danger where one guy is shooting a carp or bowfin near an angler . Mr.Murphy told me, accidents happen ....... :) We have some very devoted carp anglers here & they treat these fish like others treat bass or trout . As stated above , some people will get their backs up .....including the general public , many who may think fishing with a hook is barbaric . I also noted there is no limit on carp which means you can fill a truck if you wish ? That invites the sale of fish illegally . If the mnr wants to rid carp in our waters , they should cull them . Shooting them with weapons would not be welcomed by the public . To me , it is not fishing and enjoying the fight with a rod & reel .....it is more a thrill seeking adventure and I'm sure many wounded fish that were cut buy the arrow would die later . Hunting fish with a bow is not fishing ....it's more in the hunting cata'gory" . To each his own , not my cup of tea , but it is legal & like anything else , mistakes & mishaps will occur such as shooting a big bass in murky waters that looked like a carp ....... I'm not hitting on the carp shooters but please have respect for the guys who go to lengths to release their carp to catch another day . I have a new found respect for carp fishing after attending a very interesting & informative seminar at the SCGFA last meeting by a fellow NFN member . That is why I put my toonies worth here . :roflblack:

A few basic bits of information on the sport, if that word won't offend you. The arrows used to bow fish are solid fiberglass, weighted extra heavy so there's virtually no chance of deflection. The points are nothing like a standard hunting broadhead. There is a point, but no sharp edges to cut. Sharp blades would cut the line, which is nothing more than a cotton twin

e. And a fish still fights. Rather powerfully at that. And shooting at a fish in murky water would be rather pointless, since watt will slow an arrow down well beyond the speed needed to get the fish. Plus, fish have this strange habit of moving when something splashes in the water.

I was told there might be some flaming for his post. I'm rather surprised it took this long before it came up. I just want people to understand I'm not out to decimate the carp population. I'd gladly target sucker or bowfin, if the sooner was in season, or the latter was legal in zone 16. I have no intention of loading up a truck with skewered carp. I'm only trying to find a peaceful place to continue something I enjoy. Call me sadistic, call me cruel. But many would consider catching fish with a rod and reel just as cruel. To each their own, as it should be.

Sorry for rantig, especially to you, chilli. I know all this we something you were trying to avoid.

I don't know if I'd call Smerch's comments a "flame." He disagrees with the concept of bow-fishing and stated his reasons. By the same token, you addressed several of the points he raised in a reasonable fashion. I'd say what we have here is a discussion.

Myself, I've never tried bow-fishing, although I do know some folks who do pursue the sport. They typically wait for the fish to expose itself (thus spawning season for carp is prime bow-fishing time) before shooting. The arrows they use are, as Dark_Edge states, not broad-heads. They are more like what you would use for small game (a field point I believe is the term). And yes, the fish do fight. . . I've seen that first-hand.

I think the major objection to bow-fishing is that it isn't in keeping with many folks' conservation ethic, not that it is any more or less cruel to the fish. . . you can't C&R with a bow after all.

I'd say this is a perfect opportunity to discuss the topic and perhaps learn about it. No one can change your mind about something if they don't know what's on your mind.

yup, I'de say everyone's point is a valid one and certainly not a flame, by any means. I am personally, C&R only, so I would never fish with a bow. at the same time, I wouldn't flame someone that does, if that's what they enjoy. I say do your own thing, but at the same time, as Smerch says, there will be guys that ar into C&Ring Carp that might take offence to bowing for them.

on the flip side of the coin, I agree with DE in that there are those that consider angling with a rod to be barbaric. and that is what I enjoy doing. so again, to each their own. but it sure is interesting to talk about, aint it? :roflblack:

Rich

Thanks for the reply , it's obvious I don't know everything about bow fishing . My post was not a flame , only my gut feelings on a sport that only kills for thrills . I really don't think all these dead carp or bowfin will be consumed & I hope none are left to rot on shore or near shore by the "unethicals" . We have come a long way in the many years I have been fishing & I see a new "breed" of anglers & hunters as well . It's great to see the younger people like Bassmaster12 showing so much respect for the resources and practicing ethical standards . I wasn't aware that the arrows used do not cut like a deer arrow with the razor edges , but wouldn't a pointed arrow slip out of the wound ? I guess I should visit a bow site that explains all this better . I just read Coachmans reply & must agree , there's no C & R with this sport . If the fish shot aren't wasted & used for food as per regs , then I can feel more at ease . And ,as Coachman stated , we should be able to discuss this topic without feeling one is being flamed . That is what a fishing discussion board is all about , and that in turn makes us all better sportspeople .

speaking of rotting on the shore...................someone left a rather large Carp to rot on the shore, in the Port D marina at some point over the weekend. not very cool at all. whoever that was deserves to put on the rocks naked and left to bake in the sun for a few days....................perhaps teach em a lesson. IDIOTS.

speaking of rotting on the shore...................someone left a rather large Carp to rot on the shore, in the Port D marina at some point over the weekend. not very cool at all. whoever that was deserves to put on the rocks naked and left to bake in the sun for a few days....................perhaps teach em a lesson. IDIOTS.

I've noticed quite a few carp carcasses along the shores in the Hammer too. I wonder how many were actually discarded by anglers and how many died of natural causes. I did see a few during the spawning frenzy the other week who actually thrashed their way right up onto the shore.

I've noticed quite a few carp carcasses along the shores in the Hammer too. I wonder how many were actually discarded by anglers and how many died of natural causes. I did see a few during the spawning frenzy the other week who actually thrashed their way right up onto the shore.

usually when a carp thrashes itself onto the shore I pick up the guy an put him back in the water, and speaking of rotting carp I have a friend who hates carp so much that he says they should be treated like gobies than he also says that about bass he is a little screwy in the head he fly fishes for trout mainly but dreads carp and bass and wants to kill them all he also hates this site cause there are to many pictures of fish......... :deadhorse: hehehehe i love this smilie

Archived