Bowfishing

DarkEdge

well, this one was obviously thrown up on top of the rocks. I highly doubt that it got up there of its own doing. whoever did that is incredibly stupid and ignorant.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joey, your buddy better hope I never catching him doing that, cause he'll be "swimmin with the fishies, see". yeah, I just admitted to possible assault. see if I care. LOL.

The carp I saw thrashing their way onto shore all made it safely back into the water without my intervention. I probably would have helped them if needed in any case.

Bassmaster12, perhaps you can get your buddy to chase all the cormorants away. I hate it when I'm getting skunked and one comes along and casually scoops up a keeper right where I'm casting.

Of course, cormorants are protected and I'd never seriously suggest harming one outside the law. . . but perhaps the government should authorize a cull to reduce their numbers.

Anyway. . . back to bow-fishing: I think the arrows do have bit of a barb on them to prevent them from pulling out. But no sharp edges.

Many moons ago , pike were considered a big nuisance and I recall asking an "old guy" why they called them hammer handles .........Later , he caught a small pike about 18" and banged its head on the boat gunnel & said that's why they are called hammer handles ! As I said previously , we have come a long way in the last 30 years . Even the lowly seagull gets more respect , they have a job to do on the water and bottom feeding fish have their dinner below ....... :deadhorse: The key word here is respect for our fantastic fishing opportunities we have right here in Ontario.

The carp I saw thrashing their way onto shore all made it safely back into the water without my intervention. I probably would have helped them if needed in any case.

Bassmaster12, perhaps you can get your buddy to chase all the cormorants away. I hate it when I'm getting skunked and one comes along and casually scoops up a keeper right where I'm casting.

Of course, cormorants are protected and I'd never seriously suggest harming one outside the law. . . but perhaps the government should authorize a cull to reduce their numbers.

Anyway. . . back to bow-fishing: I think the arrows do have bit of a barb on them to prevent them from pulling out. But no sharp edges.

or perhaps you could do what the Chinese guys do, that I was watching on TV a few weeks ago. they train the Cormorants to fish for them. they tie a thin rop around their necks, just enough to stop them swallowing the fish they catch and they dump the fish in their baskets. at the end of the day, they take the ropes off and allow the birds to eat a few of the fish as their reward. was really cool to watch it.

Rich

Back to bowfishing. The points have two pivoting "barbs" that are anchored to the head by a rivet. When in flight, the barbs are pushed back parallel to the arrow to make it more streamlined. Pulling back on the arrow through water, or fish, cause the barbs to open.

Smerch, if you'd like to take a look at the gear, I'll gladly show you what I have. It's the simplest of rigs on the market, easiest to use, and one o the few hunting class things you really can't hurt yourself on. Just PM and let me know.

Archived