New To Kayaking

Reynard_Honda

I have decided that getting myself and my 10 year old son into boating this season is going to be cost prohibitive. With that being said we have decided to explore the option of Kayak fishing... affordable and with the added benefit of physical activity. Hopefully you folks can provide me with some feedback on this sport.

I haven't been in a kayak since I was probably 10 myself. I'm now 42 and not the picture of health, although not on my death bed either, lol. How demanding is this sport physically, what types of crafts should I be looking at etc?

My preliminary research has brought me to this craft:

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/office/school-furniture/gymnasium-and-sports-equipment/lifetime-od-green-sport-fisher-kayak-with-2-backrests-and-2-paddles

Any feedback on this or other boats would be greatly appreciated.

nice looking yak Tommy but a little heavy. Mine is 9' and 40 pounds. Yes it can get swamped. Won't sink but I wouldn't be able to paddle it if it filled up. I like the sit in as opposed to sit on because I fish during winter too.

Things to consider Cheif.

Where are the rod holders located. Most fishing yaks have them behind you. Mine is just off to the right side in front of me. I can easily add one to the left side. look at ones you can add stuff to.

Budget. Mine was on sale $400 and came with a rod holder and anchor. normally $500 as of three years ago I think. As you go up in price you get some nice upgrades.

Some come with a rudder. I fish or paddle very shallow water so if I had a rudder it better be able to lift up in a hurry. They have rudders that drop down off the back on a lever but the good ones countersink right into the hull.

Oh ya and one more thing. We bought an "In Fisherman" kayak. It looked awesome but as soon as you stop paddling it turns left. If a kayak doesn't stay straight while coasting it's no dam good for fishing and the kids won't have fun if they can't stop paddling.

Weight. How will you be moving this thing. I carry mine a lot so lite weight plastic is a good deal. Fibreglass no way.

Anchors can be purchased over at Dicks and I usually don't advertise or allow it but that's the only place I can find em. Anchors can be dangerous though in the current so be careful.

If you go with the sit in make sure it's flat for stability but not too deep. My youngest was rubbing his arms on the edge because he's small so we ended up buying him his own but it was shallow enough that he didn't have to paddle with his arms lifted. I think I'd like the sit on better in summer though.

chief,

if you don't want to break the bank go to costco. i saw a nice sit-on double yak for pretty cheap there. also they have the individual ones. pelican brand and good starters complete with paddlers, straps, rubber carrier bumpers, etc.

we have sit-ins but are saving our pennies for sit-ons next as we have a cheapie sit-on and it is more versatile to fish out of but in cold water not so much fun.(end-of season sale at dunhams for $100-reg. $350 so couldn't resist and border guy didn't say boo about the big red kayak)

also, a 10' for 2-person seems kind of short but, like i said, if you can, go check out the costco ones. quickly-they sell out fast, even before the boating season starts.

Excellent advice from all. Ola, I was planning on a trip to Costco this afternoon for groceries, I didn't even know they carried kayaks so thank you for that information, I will definitely check them out.

I have been searching several old posts regarding the subject and now realize that a couple of the places I was considering going are far too dangerous for the inexperienced especially in tandem with a child. If I could trouble you guys again for some more information that would be great. What are some reasonable waters to put in on for beginners?

Thanks.

Tommy your right. I put dark edge in a kayak and if there had been wind the ripples would have came over the top and flooded it.

The longer the kayak the bigger the space you need to use it. I like mine because I like traveling as far up the creeks as I can.

Safe water to kayak in is water you feel comfortable enough to be ejected knowing you and your kids can escape. I'm comfortable on the Upper Niagara but I know I could easily die if ejected. I always keep the pea-less whistle strung around my neck and a float coat is bare minimum right now. You gotta be prepared to swim. You can't save your kids if you can't move your own arms and legs. Wait until the water warms up before trying any big water you can't stand up in and then spend a lot of time getting comfortable in your kayak before attempting a cold water paddle.

I know the limitations of mine but even then there's always that one clueless boater that swamps you. The big cruisers on the river come summer can't even help but send a wall of water your way. If I saw one coming my way today I would have bolted for shore.

Tom I saw 3 really nice ocean yaks on the upper today and although I like mine I was jealous.

That one looks perfect. Not too deep not too long. You've got pretty much the same set up as me except I don't have all the Angler awards :P

Do you have an anchor?

That one looks perfect. Not too deep not too long. You've got pretty much the same set up as me except I don't have all the Angler awards :P

Do you have an anchor?

Hey Chilli I dont have an anchor and I'm not sure it would work for me, I only fish for pike and they could get tangled up in the rope attached to the anchor. The yak in 9ft and weighs 49lbs.. Nothing like fighting Green Meanie in a yak!

May202010pike002.jpg

Aren't you required to have an anchor as part of your boating equipment?

Anchor or oar/paddle.

I always worry about those crazy bows getting hooked into the anchor too. If it passes under my kayak I'm quick to go around the front with my rod but if it goes behind my kayak I bring my rod around behind my head. It's definitely an added challenge but not a deal breaker so far.

Miller if you get one let me know and we'll see if we can find a calm day and go for salmon. I upgraded my Scotty rod holder so it could easily handle a salmon rod. I can't wait to have a king pull me around the lake.

Jeez, you guys know how to make a guy jealous.

I have a 16 foot fibreglass canoe and tried fishing out of it once at Point Abino with no luck and a few curse words like "how the (bleep) do people fish out of these boats!?"

If anyone can give an amateur paddler some canoe fishing pointers, it would be greatly appreciated. shoot me a PM thanks :)

I may even consider purchasing a kayak in the future also rather than buying an aluminum motor boat.

Re.anchoring a yak .........any danger of being pulled under while at anchor from a large wake from a passing boat ? That was always a concern with the canoe .....

Miller if you get one let me know and we'll see if we can find a calm day and go for salmon. I upgraded my Scotty rod holder so it could easily handle a salmon rod. I can't wait to have a king pull me around the lake.

sounds good to me. it'll just depend on the money situation if i'll be able to pick one up anytime soon. i'm hoping to get a call from dofasco in several weeks then i'll be able to get a few toys :D

Re.anchoring a yak .........any danger of being pulled under while at anchor from a large wake from a passing boat ? That was always a concern with the canoe .....

you can never anchor a canoe or kayak from the side. always front and/or back.

plus, i always keep the anchor rope clipped to the boat for easy removal in case of a wake, current, or even a feisty fish that requires following. the rope floats so you can go back and get it. up north we just put a rock in a cloth bag to use as an anchor so no loss if it does get lost.

Dam!.. another thing to buy!

-Seriously though.. I believe you 2(chilli & trophypikehunter) have just convinced me that I need a kayak!... :lol:

Few more pics of kayak fishing, cause we love pictures..

Buddy of mine!

sept262009Blackriver002.jpg

Big Smallie!

may232009002.jpg

Kevin! Lots of Pike, Browns and Salmon in that area and more.. Actually we had to be careful the Salmon were jumping big time and we didnt want to get smoked, came close a few times..

oct2005.jpg

Kevin and Walter on balsam!

me049.jpg

I fish from a Sea Eagle SE330 all the time. Not too fancy but very easy to fold up and inflate on the spot. It fits in the trunk of my car easily. I also have their frameless pontoon boat with a small trolling motor on it. Tons of fun and relatively in-expensive. They have a new fast track kayak that looks a little more roomy that I wouldn't mind checking out as well. I picked up two SE330 pro package kayaks for under $500.00. You can buy one for under $300.00 complete. Great product from these guys.

• 2 months later...

Archived