How's Your 3 Way Experience

GoWithTheFloat

When I bottom bounce I run my leader right off of the snap swivel that my weight is on. Sometimes I use a corki to float it off the bottom a bit. I avoid the three way swivel entirely. Seems to work for me. Btw...great topic title.

I have also been having that problem. What has helped for me is to make my line attached to the weight very short and my leader a bit longer. It seems to help reduce the amount of tangle I get. Another good option is to use a swivel called the t-turn swivel. They have worked the best for me. The t turn basically allows the center swivel to turn 360 degrees which helps cut out tangle. I recommend giving them a try!

I only run a short dropper line off the 3way with either pencil weight or bullet weights. Usually a 5-6lb , then 8lb leader. Helps if you have them pre-rigged with snap swivel so when you break off you can just clip a new one on. I tried splitshot off the dropper, but find it harder to feel the bottom..

I use the cheap brass 3 ways (Davidson from crappy tire). I have the T turn as well but I find them a little pricey. I keep my dropper line as short as possible so it doesnt get tangled up with my leader line.

I use the cheap brass 3 ways (Davidson from crappy tire). I have the T turn as well but I find them a little pricey. I keep my dropper line as short as possible so it doesnt get tangled up with my leader line.

I think you meant Danielson 3 ways capt. I believe they are the same swivels & hooks etc.sold under the name Red Wolf .......except they doubled the price & cut the quantities in each pkg . ......all made in China , probably in the same factory as Mustad etc etc. Check them 3 ways carefully before using , some have bad flanges and will come apart .....I got one in a package that had one eye missing . My famous triple loop is much cheaper ! B)

• 3 weeks later...

T-turns are the easiest but pricey, if you use the regular 3 way swivels dont go to cheap, (sorry capt) nothing worse than losing a fish because of equip failure. Keep your dropper short 6-8 inches.

I also run a short drop line and a 4'-6' lead, only problem I've ever had is the drop line slowly wrapping itself around the leader line while I'm withdrawing to shoot my next cast and my rod tip is up high, to avoid this, every 3 casts, I give the lead a gentle stretch from both ends then let it dangle to get rid of the twisties.

Things learned through trial and error when tying my three-ways:

- dropper line 12" or less

- leader line longer than 18" (I tie mine up to 3 - 5' depending on conditions)

- spit on your knots and cinch them very slowly with the tag end to avoid the burn -- which will coil up your line like a slinky and it will twist all over the dropper.

- snell your hooks always

- your presentation has to float (corkie, spawn sac floaters)

- t-turns are awesome and are very forgiving.

As long as you keep your dropper bouncing and your leader floating high above it, you should not loose your leader or mainline...

Hey guys, great topic!

I have been using three way rigs every year for almost 30 years now. The issues you brought up happens, sometimes a lot and other times not so much. In the past couple of years if this happens once I try to mess around with my weight and normally I find if I have the weight right, the hook like almost never gets caught up with my rig.

Next time your out there....give it a go!

Later

Lushis

The main reason I get 3-way tangles is due to the knots tag end, keep the tag ends of the knots trimmed down close this usually fixes the problem. I agree with using the higher end T-turn 3-ways , they really help especially in trolling applications, 90% of the time I drift using 2 #10 mustad swivels, the one with the weight just slides up and down the line, the other is tied direct and the leader tied to that.Even with that rig it is important to trim your tag ends tight to the knot.

The main reason I get 3-way tangles is due to the knots tag end, keep the tag ends of the knots trimmed down close this usually fixes the problem. I agree with using the higher end T-turn 3-ways , they really help especially in trolling applications, 90% of the time I drift using 2 #10 mustad swivels, the one with the weight just slides up and down the line, the other is tied direct and the leader tied to that.Even with that rig it is important to trim your tag ends tight to the knot.

thats exactly what i was gona say but you beat me to it.LoL.not trimming tag ends short enough.i went a size up in the swivel to keep the tags further from each other.get the once in the blue moon tangle ,but that could be from a bad cast

Get rid of the swivel as just tie your leader to you main line and use the tag end as your weight lead. Personally it's what i use. Three knots means three chances to fail. Personal suggestion! I'm sure I'm going to get told why I'm wrong but I was told this by guys that fished steel before I was a twinkle in my parents eye.

Get rid of the swivel as just tie your leader to you main line and use the tag end as your weight lead. Personally it's what i use. Three knots means three chances to fail. Personal suggestion! I'm sure I'm going to get told why I'm wrong but I was told this by guys that fished steel before I was a twinkle in my parents eye.

realistically you are right, the swivel however is there to get rid of line twist and ensure of a natural presentation, knots on the other hand, im more then confident in my knots and if they break off i deserve it,

i think smerch did you method when he forgot to bring his 3 ways, he just formed a loop in his main line and tied his lure line from that, he did well too! if it works for you then keep it up:)

Archived