Got tired of being cooped up so I went for a walk through a nearby field that has deer, hoping to find chew toys for the dogs. Came around to a clearing and thought it was weird seeing stainless wire tied to a small tree.

012.jpg

Until I saw a chewed bone on the other end. Turned around and less than 5' away was this.

010.jpg

011.jpg

MNR or Humane Society concern?

I saw lots of "rodent" signs.

014.jpg

On the way home I found what has to be the happiest tree stump I have ever seen.

015.jpg

Needless to say, this hike was like all my others, no sheds.

Some people have issues if your trapping animals put them out of their misery quickly aswell as being respectful to the animal. You never know maybe you'll be in a situation where karma will strike. And that stump is too happy.

Poorly placed wire snare. Spot was likely baited to draw in a yote, but it should have been placed to catch around the neck or upper body. No excuse for it at all.

Is that meant to trap a coyote?? and why would anyone do that? Somethings get me upset....and thats an example of one. Why do we insist on killing coyotes anyway....anything that moves and poses any kind of threat the only answer is KILL IT. unreal....

Looking at the thickness of wire it sure wasn't meant for rabbit. Snaring, to my knowledge, has not been allowed in Ontario for some time now. I know it is a traditional form of meat trapping and acceptable in other jurisdictions, but killing for killing's sake ......

Looking at the thickness of wire it sure wasn't meant for rabbit. Snaring, to my knowledge, has not been allowed in Ontario for some time now. I know it is a traditional form of meat trapping and acceptable in other jurisdictions, but killing for killing's sake ......

that is why I was wondering if the MNR or humane society should be called

Personally I don't think it's a trap or snare. That wire doesn't move very easily. Looks more like someone used wire to affix bait or just hang it there to feed the yotes. Seems really weird but there's nothing saying that animal was alive when put there. I haven't seen it personally but I'd guess it was a dead cat. Affixing a live cat like that would pose huge challenges and I don't see any claws. Needs to be investigated but I doubt this is a target for coyotes.

Doesn't look like a snare to me. Looks like someone intentionally tied an animal up. Whatever it was, it was needless. I'd call the MNR, NRP and humane society. Something is wrong with people. GRRRR

so i gotta ask because im confused looking at this, whats the first pic of? did someone just wire up a bone or something as bait? and is the second picture a yote paw from the fully decomposed animal in the other pics?..

so i gotta ask because im confused looking at this, whats the first pic of? did someone just wire up a bone or something as bait? and is the second picture a yote paw from the fully decomposed animal in the other pics?..

the little bone was separate from the foot area, the foot is attached to the mess of fur

Doesn't look like a snare to me. Looks like someone intentionally tied an animal up. Whatever it was, it was needless. I'd call the MNR, NRP and humane society. Something is wrong with people. GRRRR

Mnr will not touch until humane society is contacted, and if they won't do anything, mnr will take a report and " probably not follow up" ( her words, not mine)

Hopefully it was road kill to attract or feed a coyote . .....or possibly to poison a yote ........

Speaking of rodents , a big one downed another large tree near the grandstands at Port Dalhousie . They keep the rowing club busy clearing the shore line of fallen trees .

SAM_2476.JPG

I cant see why someone would tie up a dead cat. Other than to bait for coyotes. Either way...its all wrong and should be reported someones walking around with a couple of loose screws.

Doc .....did they find the head of the cat ? Was there blood stains on the ground ? Did they take any samples of flesh etc. to check for the cat being poisoned , or as I said , maybe the cat was already dead when wired to the tree ? We may never know.

Good for reporting it Doc....i bet it was tied there alive. Karma comes around.....some real sick people walking the streets.

Dave , I don't think it was alive as there would be some trauma showing on that leg of the cat . It would try desperately to to pull or bite the leg from the wire . .....at least I hope the cat was dead first .

Dave , I don't think it was alive as there would be some trauma showing on that leg of the cat . It would try desperately to to pull or bite the leg from the wire . .....at least I hope the cat was dead first .

I dont know Smerch...and like you say probably never will, but looks to me like a double hitch loop knot around the paws then drawn tight. That and it had its body ripped off without signs of trauma to its paws. An obvious baiting attempt for coyote. SICK...all I can say.

You can't hunt there. If your a licenced trapper you can as an agent for the landowner. Dave just try and tie up a live cat by the leg. There would be more of your blood on the ground than his when you were done. This thing was dead but the question is why? I'm thinking sicko

Archived