Yard Ape

smerchly

That's what my wife calls me ......:unsure:  Guys who fish with me know I usually have a banana in my lunch bag .....Others have seen me picking apples 30' off the ground . I have been busy the last 3 days .....finally cut my BIG apple tree down !  Sorry to see it go , but after about 50 years of producing 15 to 20 bushels of red delicious apples every year , it was time to cut it down . I used a 24' ladder & an electric chain saw to cut the top limbs first , then the heavy branches last .....a 3 day job , 10 hours each day  cleaning up the wild branches & bundling them (13 bundles) took a whole day . No more apples , no more bees , rats & bird nests . They made a lot of pies and fed many deer over the years . Now I can get back to fishing  . Here's a few shots my wife took through the window of the monkey in the tree .....

iXmDiYuqtAP_kPSN39_AO5LWOhCJ8436l5Efwrbz

...this limb almost knocked the ladder off ......

tcOJ-1VvSu-ydFdUKMq1Fy3m-KFhJgiqqSKuMjYC

here's the tree at it's best apple producing days ...

1BRHin4MbDjD6WBIZ9yCTEYRvYPd8jq85biJNlIu

.....sorry Bones ....no apples this year ......B)

I've never seen a larger apple tree Tyler ....I'll miss those nice sweet apples . My neighbour will take all the wood for his stove ......and  I'll get to enjoy the smoked fish & meats from that apple wood for the next 50 years .......^_^

....anyone want to part with a 5-10 lb. rainbow  ?      B)

On 2017-04-28 at 9:46 AM, Surf and Turf said:

That is a huge apple tree! Wish I had one like that by my deer stand! Your an idiot working from the ladder like that. 

Yes ....I know , at my age , climbing a metal ladder with an electric chain saw is asking Grim Reaper for a visit  lol . ( I changed a word in your post haha)  . I finished up the large cuts today ....trimmed the trunk down level to put a potted plant on it later .  The trunk is 25" in diameter (average) and 75" in circumference . A few small bruises .....not bad for this old chap ! 

very last cut....used my 16" Pioneer gas saw , until it quit , then a 4' bow saw (wouldn't reach center) , then my 14" electric chain saw plus a heavy chisel /hammer .

BZgRzgbLBhV7l24Nk9r-2sfUuRuCBti2OZK39-TI

No I think you were perfectly fine. You had your plaid shirt and safety ball cap on! Now if you would had set up with a "Mr. Turtle" pool full of water set up under the ladder in-case you fell, I might have questioned your judgement. Well maybe? ?

Archived