Rod setup for carp.

Doorsy20

Hello guys, was directed to this group for all my carp fishing needs. Many years of fishing experience but I’ve never targeted carp. I’ve done a good bit of research and  starting with a hair rig and sweet corn as my go to bait. I have a 8’ 6” medium Rod from when I used to chase catfish, lot of line on the spool.  My question is regarding how I should set up, I’m using a strong rod holder directly in front of a middle ring to provide some resistance and the butt of my rod rest on the tackle box to keep me horizontal. Should I be letting the fish run with the line or hit a hard stop? How should I do this, Light drag or keep the bail open? Or I could leave the reel so it can spin in reverse. Do I keep some line tension or do I want it to lay on the bottom? 

Sorry for so many questions hope to get some pointers in the right direction.

Don’t let your reel free spool backwards not sure if it would birdsnest in a hard hit. I use a bait runner real so it has two drag systems. Set one lose for when the fish hits and it can run and when you turn the handle it shuts off and you use the normal drag system.  When the line is in the water I usually reel in enough so there is a slight bow in the line. I pay attention more to the line then the rod tip to detect bites. If it tightens or bows more “FISH ON”.  Hope this helps a bit I’m not not he best at explaining it.  

Yes , the bait runner is great for carp when they suddenly slam it & run . Before I bought it  I used a regular spinning reel with 20# line , egg sinker , swivel & mostly hair rigs . I almost lost the rod twice while having a whiz !  :rolleyes:  Then I backed the drag off to about 2-3lbs to allow those sudden hits to run line out , but then had to make a quick adjustment to the drag while fighting the fish . The bait runner solved that . Yesterday I used a light 8' rod , 20# braid & 15# mono  6" leader  with my regular 4000 spinning reel , drag set at about 5 -10 lbs . and tip right close to the water & line at 90* angle . This allows to see the slightest "bump" and bends the rod enough to set the hook when they take off . It worked well there because the cats , etc. would just peck away at the corn or puff corn , so a bait check would be needed .  Get out there , the carp are waking up & ready to roll !  :Gonefishing:

I echo the guys advice on getting a bait-runner reel.  That way you don't need to stare at your line or rod tip for prolonged periods of fishing.  But ya, as Smerch said, back your drag right down so the fish can run with your bait and then adjust once you grab your rod and begin the fight.

I assume you'll be using the standard presentation with a lead weight( sinker ), in which case, when the carp picks up your bait and hooks itself, it will feel the weight then bolt off( hence the name 'bolt rig" ).  This will give you time to get to your rod, adjust your drag to a 'fighting drag' and play the carp expertly to your waiting net.  Now, listen for the applause, turn to the gallery that's gathered at the shoreline, and bow. 

lol

Oh, and one more thing.  If you're in the carp fishing section of your favorite tackle shop, look for the book:  "Carp Fishing In Canada."

Or order a copy on your next Amazon order.

It's one of the best reference books on carp fishing for beginners and experts alike, IMHO.  

Going to echo what everyone else said and just add on to what Smerchly said about loosing rods. I’ve lost 2 setups because I didn’t have the baitrunner and my drag was set just a bit to tight. First time was taking a piss. Second time helping my son set up his line. It happens and there is a lot of cuss words that came out. Picked up a okuma avenger and haven’t looked back since. The reel was decently priced at my local tackle shop so it wasn’t a big issue. Also I would invest in bare minimum a rubber net as carp have a tendancy to thrash until the end. Also if you do enjoy it, scour these forums for all kinds of knowledge from previous discussions and don’t be afraid to ask the “dumb questions” as I like to put it because I’m sure ive asked or someone else has before. Only last tidbit I will say is once you get into it there is no going back. I dust off my bass gear maybe once a year anymore, i’d Rather chase the carp then try for anything else. But that’s Just my personal opinion. I’m thinking of trying a fly setup for carp next can only imagine the fight. 

A fly rod would work well in the shallow water I fished yesterday ....a corn puff  plus a small split shot would hook one I'm sure . I use my large rubber net to weigh the carp also .... I deduct 3lbs.6 oz. from the total weight ,then immediately release the fish . If I'm not using the bait runner & need to visit the "mens room" I'll set the drag very loose , or reel in for a bait check . 

Got me another loaf of cheap wally bread , few cans of nibblet & cream corn & looking to hit my first target of 20 lbs..   :Gonefishing:

You want light drag ... sometimes the carp are like freight trains and when they decide to run after picking up the bait ... they run, so if drag isn't loose you might lose a rod.

Carp won't always give you the tap tap tap tap with the rod tip, sometimes you can be looking at the tip and there is no movement and next thing you know the reel is screaming.

Yep ...I hit one of those freighters today snags !  It hit hard and ran 20' at mach 3 and the hook flew out like a slingshot back to me !  And I was sitting right beside my reel !  Having a loose drag may have got me that fish .  But I did land 3 carp , one 13lbs 6oz. ...also 6 cats all good size and 2 large rudd . I went through a lot of puff corn , just having a light bite and the puff is gone .I think it's too old & brittle ( like the guy on the other end) It's 3 yrs. old & too dry inside ...time for another visit to the Bulk Barn . ( sending you Dans some shots)

After a few hours  I was losing my bait often ....something would bent the light tip of the rod and  poof ...puff gone .

That happened after I chummed with wet balls of cream corn & diced bread ....Looking at the small upturned mouth on the rudd ,  I think they were stealing those small puffs ( penny size) from my #2 barbed hook .  The cats hit it hard and are easy to catch .

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Fly rod,  weighted fly, hammy harbour, cruising carp..  pretty fun I might grab a fly rod this year.  Last year just used a spin rod. 

Make sure you guy's try a leech pattern (black with a little red streak} 2"-4" long for spring /early summer carp,  last spring I tried for the first time casting to the rooting carp from a boat in the shallows visually targeting them with spinning gear, it was really fun,   fly rod +  a 20# or a 30#''r would be ridiculous fun !  go get'em.

• 4 weeks later...

My old friend Lorne (hammercarp) who was a great carp angler,  liked his bait caster reel & 8' rod for carp fishing . He landed many lunkers with that set up . I have a large Daiwa reel with a star drag I used for salmon in mint shape . It would handle xxl carp very well but it's a little heavy ....well worth a tryout some day , just need a better rod than my old 8' custom salmon spinning rod.

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Smerch, you don't need a big reel I use 5000 or 6500 series Ambassedeurs with 12 or 15 pound mono.

I use an Okuma Avenger spinning reel  . ...line capacity is 200 yds with 12 lb....much less with 20 lb.mono . A thin braid would have more capacity . I'll use the  present set up for now , I will not let a fish spool me .....I'll tighten up the drag near the end of the line to allow the leader to break first . It is only 6" long to the swivel . Hope to get out tomorrow & try my luck.....looking to break my 30 lb.barrier .

Smerch ... let me know if you are getting out in the AM and where ... I could use a carp or two to try and shake off the pike bug ... past two days ... 3 pike all in the 20"ish range ... although I saw one yesterday that might have been pushing 36"

Good to see you and Scott today .  The carp weren't as cooperative today (East wind)  , but we got a few plus a good size mirror .  (unable to post photo)

Another great day on the waterfront  :Gonefishing:

• 3 weeks later...

Trying a new way to post a photo .....put image from Picasa to desk top via "paint"....crop & downsize 50% .....drag picture from desktop to attach .....

Jordan mirror carp

Mirror Carp..jpg

...Looks good from here .....pretty simple ....hope it worked .

...caught on a "mirror lure".....:D

8 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

That thing looks beat. Good job on the mirror smerch.  

Ya , with a scale shortage they tend to have "skin blemishes" , and they put out a good scrap .  Here's a shot of my largest red fin sucker from Gibson ...a couple weeks ago . ...took the corn/hair rig .

Sucker.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 8:45 AM, Mike Pike said:

Contratz on both fish Smerch.  And if I'm not mistaken, that's not your first Mirror either, is it Smerch? 

I'm still looking for mine.

Thanks Mike .....just spotted your post .....some "species" posts get lost with new species posts posted  soon after .....

It seems the mirror carp are like one per 100 carp caught ....never know when one will hook up .  They would make a good conversation piece if mounted on the wall ....but because they are so rare I prefer to make them a "conservation" piece .

I have only caught 5 in my 60+ years of fishing , all in the Niagara area  (Gibson , 12 Mile , and Jordan )  . First mirror was caught at Gibby many years ago using a worm .  ( no gobies those days)  :)

Archived