google discovery

smerchly

Not being computer wise I was checking out some of the apps at the top corner of my screen . I have been using a few of them like Google Maps , News , You tube , etc . I checked the list further to discover "Photos" . I was shocked to see pictures I took with other cameras going back over 15 years  !  I thought many of those pictures were long lost , but they were saved in there .

One of the shots I found that I wanted to keep was a largemouth bass I caught at Rennie Park ....my biggest ever bass , over 24" ( no weight )  . I sent it to desktop , them mailed it to myself . The "picture" came in as a bunch of print which I clicked & got the picture ....but I cannot post it here as it is way too big , even after chopping it 80%  ....trying to find another way to post it .

Caught it using a dew worm , one tiny shot and 2 small hooks ( tied as a worm harness)

I need to save those shots with a memo stick & print some off......

That's cool Bill...sat at cliffs after fishing one day and looked back at some super old pics of different adventures and a couple events...neat to look back and remember some of the people ect......even looking back since I signed back up here on nfn I have came across some of my old account posts and the odd one i saw still has pics even going back over 10 years ago....as for posting....i can't even post the pics i took last time out...Haha....Tyler did it for me last time..... cliff a different time...Haha.... i suck....but I got some good pics on my phone 🎣

Some of those pics go back to 2006  Jack ....nice to see them again . And of course I have hundreds of old paper pictures from the "old days" , many old moose hunts and fishing trips among them .  It's ironic that during these days  of super fast technology it's more difficult to upload and post a picture . It was easy to do when they were hosted by Picasa but google took over .......   😪

Sounds like a real fishy tale to me Smerch. "The bass was so big even it's picture was too big to post." Ha! 

That must have been a pleasant surprise to find some pictures you thought were long gone for sure! Something to be said for the old prints laid out in a photo album, not sure if anyone still does that anymore? Some of my favourite pictures are the old polaroid pics from when I was a kid, if you caught something really memorable would drag it home and have mom take a picture and then watch it magically "develop" in front of your eyes. Or picking up an envelope from the photo store and looking through the pictures to see how they turned out sometimes months after you actually took the picture. Miss that.

Yes , something to be said about the old "low" tech eh Surf  ?    Buy a 24 shot 35mm film ,ASA100 or 400 , load up the camera , rewind the film , take it in for development , and get the prints with negatives .  I still have my old Canon AT1 , fully manual 35 mm with all the lenses & filters & toys .....been sitting in the basement for many years .

The Polariod cameras enabled us to take those no no shots  haha

We can still get cheap prints from the new cameras today with decent quality ......too easy to lose them by pressing the wrong button on the camera ....   ;)

6 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Sounds like a real fishy tale to me Smerch. "The bass was so big even it's picture was too big to post." Ha! 

I heard the picture weighed 12 pounds. LOL

13 minutes ago, boogaloo said:

I heard the picture weighed 12 pounds. LOL

HA !   You might be close Boogs  ! 

According to this chart  that bass should average about 9 lbs . It was a little on the thin side  , prob. a veggie eatin bass ,

and it went bonkers when it saw my worm (meat) present in front of it's choppers . It was a big surprise to me to see a large mouth bass that big in the "pond"

I would guess it at 6 lbs ....maybe   :pardon:  It was a mean scrapper ....got hung up in tough weeds for a few minutes , thought it was gone ,

but it got loose & did another flying leap before I landed it .

I can sent the picture through Gmail  , if anyone wants to see it .  

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9222.html

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Send it to me and I’ll try and post it. Sk8_tyler@hotmail.com

Thank you Tyler ....picture sent .

Just for a measure comparison ,  the butt end of that rod is 14"inches . ( my very old 9 ft. Fenwick , bought at their store in .N.F.)   :)

Just now, smerchly said:

Thank you Tyler ....picture sent .

Just for a measure comparison ,  the butt end of that rod is 14"inches . ( my very old 9 ft. Fenwick , bought at their store in .N.F.)   :)

Haha...I worked at the old woodstream factory for a bit when I was a kid....in silvertown was the rod plant....we used to go dumpster diving there when we where kids for awesome rods that where thrown in the trash because of a blemish....we would just dig until we had the best matching halves.....that's how I got my first 9ft fenwick i used for my salmon rod back when 🎣

Wow Jack , didn't know that !  The factory had a small store at Ellen St. where they had a dozen or so rods for sale . A close buddy 's wife's sister worked there . The rod wasn't cheap , a Fenwick Black Hawk , ultra light .  It was a real treat fighting that bass with that rod . 

When I worked at ETF Tools , they also scrapped "seconds" that had a small blemish & I still use them today . ...seemed like a waste to trash them .

Bill's big mouth... 😶🤐🤫🙊......Ellen ave was also where the woodstream factory was too....that's where they made the tackle boxes and traps there.....they made the rods in silvertown 

10 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Bill's big mouth... 😶🤐🤫🙊......Ellen ave was also where the woodstream factory was too....that's where they made the tackle boxes and traps there.....they made the rods in silvertown 

I still have a few rods from the "dumpster". I had a 3 piece 10 1/2 foot HMG fly rod from there and it broke at the butt. I took it to Ellen Ave. and they gave me a 9 foot Blackhawk for free. I still use that one............................Daniel

32 minutes ago, boogaloo said:

I still have a few rods from the "dumpster". I had a 3 piece 10 1/2 foot HMG fly rod from there and it broke at the butt. I took it to Ellen Ave. and they gave me a 9 foot Blackhawk for free. I still use that one............................Daniel

Is your 9' Blackhawk the same as mine in the photo Dan ?  I have never seen another one like it .

Where are all the oohs & awes  ??  That has got to be the biggest largie caught in Niagara in decades !!   :bravo:

Thanks for posting that beauty for me Tyler .   Maybe transfer it to the "Kiss My Bass"  section  .(blow their minds)    :)

Nice looking bass! Sure that isn't a photo shopped carp? Ha.

I used to be a regular visitor to the Fenwick outlet too. I still have a 9 ft Blackhawk flyrod,  Heavy HMG bait casting rod, 10ft Blackhawk spinning rod, 6 ft HMG ultralight and 7ft medium heavy all in excellent condition, some have the white paint spots they used to put on the "second" rods.  Also still have two tackle boxes that I use regularly. Used to love going in there, never knew what you'd find. Heard about the dumpster diving going on there but never went myself.

Not only did we get so see smerch's big fat a......um I mean b....ass....I think its totally cool that some of you remember the outlet on Ellen ave ... I lived by there and worked at the plant when I was a kid.... and some of you know about the dumpster diving for great rods in ole silvertown... ah those where the days.... I would get off work midnite there....bring my fishing stuff with me... walk down to the maid and catch 100 smallies and still be home by 10 am to go to bed. ...Haha.... thanks for the trip down memory lane!!!!!!

23 hours ago, smerchly said:

Is your 9' Blackhawk the same as mine in the photo Dan ?  I have never seen another one like it .

Where are all the oohs & awes  ??  That has got to be the biggest largie caught in Niagara in decades !!   :bravo:

Oooooh.....Ahhhhhhh.................ooooooooooooh...............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah   There ya go Bill.😄

My Blackhawk is the very same except for the 50 year old Garcia Mitchell 300 on mine.................................Daniel

On 2/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, Jwl1 said:

"Bill's big a$$ Bass"   Jackson !    I still have my old Woodstream Fenwick  tackle box with 3 hinged trays , in excellent shape & full of tackle ....too big to lug around shore fishing , but ok for the boat .  There were many places in the Niagara area that made outdoor products , even had a places that had piles of deer hides outside that made wallets , etc. & a leather factory close to the old General Hospital . We made everything from Autos to Zippers right here in Niagara .....

Oh yes....HOW BOUT THAT BASS  ?  WOW !!     :bb2:   ...............  monster......

Remember the days of keeping a disposable camera in my vest while fishing. Never knew what you were going to get when you took those 24 shots in lol. Still have tonnes of old developed fish photos 

Archived