Carp Day Bust , but...

smerchly

It was a tad cool yesterday but the hardliners ( Knightfisher & Moi) braved the weather & gave the rods & reels a good workout . The carp were being prissy again & didn't want cheap Walmart No Name Nibblets  . The worms were top dog for the day ....  a good 20 fish each  ( mud cats , dink perch , sunfish , & what I think was a golden shiner about 8" )

We used  light gear to make it more "challenging" . Dan caught a double header & ribbed me about catching them 2 at a time ....before he got them off the hooks I landed a double header with a perch & sunfish .  First time for either of us for doubles .  It was a blast to be kept very busy " catching " (anything)

If Mr.Carp decided to dine on our worms ,  we would have a real challenge on out hands ....and feet ! 

On the way home I noticed the Gibson/Reservoir still has a fair amount of ice left .....( not walkable)  . I think the carp need some more warm temps. before they ring my chimes .

Was a good busy time out there. For a while I thought I had Bill's number being up 3 fish to none, then 5-2, but slowly smerch pulled ahead.

One day Bill, one day :tease:

:Gonefishing:

I'll give it a tie grasshopper ....You did catch the "whopper cat"  and I edged you on variety . 

I was waiting for a carp to hit our lighter gear , but dey was chicken .....and I didn't bring a banana !  

Next carp trip I'll wear my face mask ......  :ninja:  .....  

44 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Sounds like a good trip out.  

any Ice left on Jordan do you know?

I fished Jordan last week March 27 and the marina was clear . Rennie ice is gone also ....... row row row.....     

Few warm days should help all that out...I been keeping an eye on a couple spots as well....water needs to warm up a bit still.....always good to get out though...sounds like you guys had a good day

Seems like the rudd  are plentiful this year . The odd carp caught but lots of rudd  .

They are  good scrappers for their size ....fun with light gear ....

But I'd rather catch more carp .

I met Mark today , a friend of Hammercarp  (late Lorne Morley) . Nice to see him again !  He showed us two grasshoppers how it was done .....landed himself a nice carp using his home made waggle float and a kernel of corn .  Mark is a very accomplished carp angler ....Limey & him talk the same lingo !   B)

3 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I met Mark today , a friend of Hammercarp  (late Lorne Morley) . Nice to see him again !  He showed us two grasshoppers how it was done .....landed himself a nice carp using his home made waggle float and a kernel of corn .  Mark is a very accomplished carp angler ....Limey & him talk the same lingo !   B)

I’ve never tried using a float for carp. Was the water still where you were fishing or some current?

Very little current yesterday ....more when there's runoff from rain . Waggle floats are very sensitive & must be set more precisely  close to the bottom . The bottom there has dead weed cover on the bottom , best to keep the bait from dragging . They don't work like the Drennen floats in moving water ...no hole through them  . I've only seen them used in shallow water . Most use small hooks like a #12-14 roe bag hook with a single corn , maggot , ect . and light line . Lots of info-ideas on You Tube mates ! 

.....found this about boilies ....what a rant , and check the comments  LOL    Corn & bread is king !!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP_HxE2mFk0

.....  This guy catches vegan carp  !   We call them "grass carp"    B)

"I've had carp on cherry tomatoes, small strawberries, peas, kidney beans. Even had them on buzzers when fly fishing. Like your video say it is like it is".

Haha.....good one.....early spring minnows have always worked good for me or jigs....after that my go to is pizza dough....I put vanilla extract in it....or anise......sometimes  mix cornmeal in it.....make my little balls then nuke them for a few seconds....that way they stay on the hook better

3 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

make my little balls then nuke them for a few seconds

Ouch....easy there Jack   :o ....   When the carp are on the feed , I think they would eat most of what we eat . The corn puffs I use have no smell or much visibility  but they hit them . Chumming a spot gets them there and I think they will pick up anything you toss into the mix . They chased our Mepps spinners with bucktails in Moodie years ago .

I haven't given bread ball much of a shot , but I'll part with a piece of my "salami" sandwich & give it a whirl .  ...

Hey Smerch, nice that you ran into Mark.  A fine, fine fellow and carp angler!  He was one of the early carp fishing guys around the harbour here and I used to run into him when I first started to have a dabble at carp.  He was one of the guys who inspired me to get into carping in a big way a little over a decade ago.  

And thanks for posting that boilie rant.  That was really interesting as were all the comments written afterwards.

I enjoyed the short time talking with Mark , I was happy to see him land a carp .

Boy , that boilie rant guy really carried on a bit  !  lol

I started out for trout today but the wind blew me down , so I went back to chase carp but didn't have the proper gear ....found a few small hooks & small sinkers in my bag & set up the 10'6 trout rod with worm bait . Managed to hook 3 Rudd , one of which was a good size rudd . ...no carp interested again , and the pesky gobies were being a nuisance  ....seems early for those things to be biting .  It was nice .....when the sun was out !

I'm surprised to see the gobies  so early this year . They can strip your canned corn in minutes , same with corn puffs since they become soggy soft in minutes  . The worm pieces stand up longer  but those  pesky  piranhas  will clean you off .  Time to bring out the maize ! 

Archived