Help required please...

Bubba14

I don't get out often so I require some assistance please from you fine folk. It looks like the winds may be favourable for me to get out on Lake Ontario tomorrow and/or Lake Erie Saturday. I haven't fished trout/salmon on Lake O for about 25 years and have never fished perch on Erie. Any tips, helpful hints appreciated, whether here or in a PM. Tight lines all and thanks in advance.

The plan is to take my son, Gaza321 but seeing that in two days his sister has outfished him 5-1 I should probably take her!!

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

The plan is to take my son, Gaza321 but seeing that in two days his sister has outfished him 5-1 I should probably take her!!

OH ...the pain ....ouch !!  Gaz my son , there are tricks you can employ that I use to beat the competition ....can only help in person .....;)

I fished at CDP this a.m. & the lake was fairly flat considering the N.E. (cold) wind . Tomorrow is supposed to be WNW at 18 km. so I think it shouldn't be too bad , but I'd check more with the marine reports ....The people who run the SCGFA ramp will give info on what the  fish are hitting ....

Good Luck

Hey bubba i just use a 1 oz sinker on the bottom with a hook about 6 inch up from that and another a foot above that .i use small snell hooks with the longer shaft and tighter gap.some guys use pickerel rigs .obviously minnows for bait.if u have a fish finder youll need to watch for clouds of fish or small hooks .try to stay on them and keep marking them .if you arent hitting them move around till u mark again.as for lake ontario i just use spoons and body baits off the riggers or dipseys.again u gotta findem but usually in front of canal off port weller is a good bet start shallow 40 ft and head outwest to deeper .2 mph speed trolling.let out 75 ft of line with spoons and clip on riggers and let down 10ft off bottom.dipsys i use a 6 ft leader to bait. Good luck ! 

I was out on Erie today and it was beautiful flat calm. There was a large group of boats off Waverly Beach so I tried there first even though I did not see anyone catching fish. Trolled all around but did not mark anything on the graph. Left there and tried off Abino but nothing there either. After four hours of more looking than fishing I finally located a large school of perch off Sherkston in about 65 FOW. Started catching immediately right on the bottom using minnows but the school was constantly moving so you had to as well. They were hitting very lightly, possibly because of the cold water. The best advice I can give you is to rely very heavily on your fish finder. No point in fishing where there are no fish. You're right that the weather for the weekend looks good although I usually try to stay away on those days because it is just too crazy busy at the launch ramps. Good luck and be careful.

Thanks a bunch for the tips guys. Verado, I am still gainfully employed but am off Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I know it will likely be a S#*T show but...gotta make hay when the sun shines! I'll let ya's know if I get out and how I do. Again, thanks for the info!

I hear ya Bubba. It's too damm bad how work has to always get in the way of fishing, hunting and the more important things in life. With regard to hooks, I use the same setup as Fishking, usually with a pencil shaped sinker and I add a bead or two on the dropper lines. I seem to do better when using pink hooks (always extra sharp). I do prefer to use pickerel sized hooks as the perch have big mouths and can take them just fine. I find when I'm using the smaller hooks they have more of a tendency to swallow them and it always happens when I'm on a hot and quickly moving school and I have to stop fishing to operate or re-tie my rig. Again, good luck today, I think you're going to have a beauty.

Exactly why I love this site! Thanks for the tips guys. Gaza321 and I spent about 4 hours on Lake O today and were rewarded with the big white stripe. A fish would have been a bonus, it was still an awesome day on the water, not even the plentiful bugs could ruin it! We fished from 40 to 120 feet of water, all through the column and only marked a couple. Didn't sound like anyone had a productive day out there. Might brave the crowds and hit Erie tomorrow. Anyone know if Erie Tracker has minnows?

I remember the days when I was younger going to Port Colbourne. Fished by the lighthouse. Used to get a lot of jumbo perch. This was in may. Later I would drift the bay and get Bass and perch with lots of sheephead. Now that they built the marina and Point Albino dredge their marinas this seems to have gone. I went to Sobeys the other day. The perch fillets were small. I would sazy the fish were at least 10 inches when caught.

22 minutes ago, F4U said:

I remember the days when I was younger going to Port Colbourne. Fished by the lighthouse. Used to get a lot of jumbo perch. This was in may. Later I would drift the bay and get Bass and perch with lots of sheephead. Now that they built the marina and Point Albino dredge their marinas this seems to have gone. I went to Sobeys the other day. The perch fillets were small. I would sazy the fish were at least 10 inches when caught.

Hey F4U.  I also remember the days when fishing by the lighthouse and in the bay was good fishing for perch.  I wouldn't blame the decline on the marina, but I would put the blame on all the cormorants that have taken over the breakwall.  I used to hate all the seagulls that used to be there, now I would take them back anytime.

1 hour ago, RJR said:

Hey F4U.  I also remember the days when fishing by the lighthouse and in the bay was good fishing for perch.  I wouldn't blame the decline on the marina, but I would put the blame on all the cormorants that have taken over the breakwall.  I used to hate all the seagulls that used to be there, now I would take them back anytime.

Amen to that Rick !!  Those corm-"rants" can clean out the perch in a marina in no time !  I've seen them gather by the thousands  in the Port Dalhousie harbour  . Maybe a good thing perch are hanging in 60 fow ...

Gaza321 and I made it out to Erie this morning for a fish. We got there for the late bite and had to move around a bit but we got some keepers, enough for a good feed tonight! Some small ones in the bunch that we wouldn't normally keep but they were ferocious and swallowed the hook!!

20 hours ago, smerchly said:

Maybe a good thing perch are hanging in 60 fow ...

Nice going guys , enjoy those tasty critters !

As the smerch said above ........   how deep were you fishing Bubba  ? 

Archived