Leeches

Tyler0420

Leeches seem hard to get this year so im thinking of catching my own.  

Can you find them in any body of water? I live by the grand river and was thinking about trying there. There’s also some creeks around and random ponds. Any help would Be greatly appreciated.  

I hear they like to feed on chicken liver or anything real bloody. 

WE used to just drop a fish with a line through the gills in the water after the fillets had been taken off. Tie it to a stick and come back in the morning. Pull it up and pluck the leeches attached. Didn't always work but often enough.

34 minutes ago, DNorton said:

I know it doesn’t help but the leeches were abundant in Algonquin. Had 3 on me just from wading in the water to fly fish. 

Ive been to Algonquin many times and always see leeches in the water. Lots up there 

4 hours ago, DNorton said:

I know it doesn’t help but the leeches were abundant in Algonquin. Had 3 on me just from wading in the water to fly fish. 

There you go Tyler ....just wade around in a swim suit and carry a pair of tweezers ......

I think some cheap beef liver has more blood than chicken liver .....we used a coffee can , punctured with spike nails .

...lots of leeches in Ottawa I heard....

9 hours ago, Splakin said:

Gil, you said it, I'll second that. You can have one of those on your line all day and not get a bite. 

On the rigger with a 50 lb. canon ball  !  

We have a tonne of creeks and ponds in niagara .i used to just throw on the hip waders and use a scoop net on a pole with small diameter holes and just walk along diggin in the bottom .bring it to the edge and dump it out and sort through and pick out leeches , crayfish, and creek chubs .just make sure your allowed to be in there.

Archived