Rice Lake Walleye

Hello everyone. We just got home from a 2 week stay at a friends cottage at Rice Lake.

First cast on the first night my brother caught this little beauty casting from shore with a perch colored buck tail.

Every night for about 2 hours at sunset you have a good chance of getting into them casting from shore.

Best to use a buck tail or countdown perch rapala. We caught about 10 during the 2 weeks. Unfortunately there is

a slot size in that area and we had to return a number of them around 25". Sorry no pictures of the big ones!!

thumbnail_20191024_172851.jpg

Next time u go there try night fishing with lighted bobbers with a hook and split shot about 4ft down with a live minnow ......i had a trailer for 17 yrs on rice lake and i had real good luck at night .all night sometimes wed light a fire and sit around drinkin beer and watchin bobbers.caught 2 over 8 lbs from shore....one night 28 walleyes between 2 guys ! Rice is a tough one to figure out during the day unless you spend lots of time exploring and tryin different teqniques.

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

sounds like a decent trip, always nice to catch fish from shore.

Hey Tyler, it was mostly for work but was still a lot of fun.

A few years ago a thick school came in and we were catching 1 almost every cast.

6 of us caught over 30 in an hour and then just like that they were gone again.

6 minutes ago, fishingking said:

Next time u go there try night fishing with lighted bobbers with a hook and split shot about 4ft down with a live minnow ......i had a trailer for 17 yrs on rice lake and i had real good luck at night .all night sometimes wed light a fire and sit around drinkin beer and watchin bobbers.caught 2 over 8 lbs from shore....one night 28 walleyes between 2 guys ! Rice is a tough one to figure out during the day unless you spend lots of time exploring and tryin different teqniques.

Hi fishingking. We have tried pickerel rigs with limited success. I will try your method next time we head to Rice, THX !!!

That's not bad...rice been getting tougher over the years for sure....slots.....overfishing......over touristy...lol...just plain busy...couple that with shallow water and thick weeds..during the day you really have to pick the lake apart....the float idea is a good tactic.....either way...judging by your pics and report..sounds like you got into a few keepers

36 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

That's not bad...rice been getting tougher over the years for sure....slots.....overfishing......over touristy...lol...just plain busy...couple that with shallow water and thick weeds..during the day you really have to pick the lake apart....the float idea is a good tactic.....either way...judging by your pics and report..sounds like you got into a few keepers

Rice lake is no doubt a tough lake to fish. We have been going there for nearly 20 years and know lots of very good spots.

They are defiantly not as productive now but we still always catch fish. 

I like using floats , in weed beds or deep water , even used them in 30 fow in the rec. for pike . I like some chop on the water too so the float will cause the bait to keep moving baits ,  dead  or alive . In heavier weeds I use a larger float with more weight to drop the bait through the weeds to bottom . The fish (perch , pike) will soon find the bait !  And of course a little heavier line to pull up supper !

Archived