Old Reel

smerchly

Going through my "stuff" today I remembered I bought a new star drag salmon reel a couple (few) decades ago . I only used it a couple times as I found I liked my  Stradic 4000 as it was more enjoyable to fight the kings . I kept it in a reel box & applied oil to it periodically ( like every 5 years approx ) I can't remember where I bought it or how much I paid for it . So here it sits on the shelf , lonely , and never caught a fish .....   :(

I don't know much about these reels ....probably old school but it looks like a  solid well made reel in brand new shape .  I suppose it would work for carp fishing , but not for long casts ....most of my casting for carp is under 50' from shore . 

Someone here who has fished for salmon may know more about this  Daiwa reel and clue me in on it's value .....maybe an "antique" and worth thousands .....   :o

Fidhing Reel 2.jpg

Fishing Reel 1.jpg

25 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Looks like it needs to catch a fish smerch. 

It's still a virgin Ty......it needs a good rod to match it's heavy weight  ....probably best for salmon or ski .

4 hours ago, genec said:

Lots of guys use that style reel for trolling for pickerel on Lske Erie.

i have 4 trolling rigs w them on.

I think the reel would be too heavy for Erie eyes ....a bit of an over kill since eyes don't have the power of salmon ...and it does hold a lot of line ! 

56 minutes ago, pauly said:

Great reel for smaller sharks. Used by many salt anglers. 

You would be in the know Paul ....  it's a heavy reel ....about 10 oz. great for B.C. sturgeon  ! 

40 minutes ago, toaster said:

May get 50-60$ for it on kijiji.

I saw a few on E.Bay ...looked pretty beat up for 50 bucks . 

Anyone going shark fishing send me a pm .....  50%+ off   ;)

25 minutes ago, Flycarp said:

They are reliable and were used by some of the charter captains back in the day on Lake O.

The salmon fishing was huge back in the 80's . It was fun listening to all the "handles" out there . My two buddies were " Bushwacker " and "Three Finger  Lewie "  . there was "Sam the Barber"  My cousin Jim's boat was the "Bomber A" ...We had a lot of fun out there .....

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

You would be in the know Paul ....  it's a heavy reel ....about 10 oz. great for B.C. sturgeon  ! 

I saw a few on E.Bay ...looked pretty beat up for 50 bucks . 

Anyone going shark fishing send me a pm .....  50%+ off   ;)

Smerch!!! I’m leaving to go shark fishing tomorrow !  

9 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Smerch!!! I’m leaving to go shark fishing tomorrow !  

Where are you headed to Capt ?   I have some 500# wire clothesline  I can spool up the reel  !!       🦈

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

The salmon fishing was huge back in the 80's . It was fun listening to all the "handles" out there . My two buddies were " Bushwacker " and "Three Finger  Lewie "  . there was "Sam the Barber"  My cousin Jim's boat was the "Bomber A" ...We had a lot of fun out there .....

All on Channel 13 on the CB Radios, overflow went to 15. Now not a peep on CB.

2 hours ago, The_Fish_Dawg said:

That reel is perfect for 5 colors of leadcore line on Erie for walleye or a rigger reel for walleye and salmon. 

Thanks for that Dawg .....  who knows ,  I might end up doing an eye fish on Erie .  I forgot , two rods are legal , so I can also use my old Shimano Stradic 4000 . That big reel can grace my 12 ft. carp rod !    B)

• 2 weeks later...

Some other old boat names back in the 80’s were Starcraft that was Dan Stones, pelican and grandpa Jim was Ron penfounds 2 charter boars, Gospel 1 was Steve Wells, the Fenwick charter boat was run by Barry Carr , there were many more. All great guys

25 minutes ago, deetch said:

All great guys

For sure deetch ! 

Small world !    I worked side by side with Dan Stone's brother Bob who had to quit his GM job with severe back problems and have been to his house on John Street in Beamsville . I have bought tackle from Steve Wells ,  and knew Ron Penfound (SCFGA) . Barry Carr also worked at GM (who didn't) , and I fished with him at Port Severn for those big spring walleyes .   I remember seeing "Andrews  Charters"   as well ( no relation )

Archived