Coil rod holders

smerchly

I would like to use a coil rod holder for carp where I want to keep the tip high on a slight angle . The ground may be quite hard so a sharp point or edge would be needed ...no problem with sand of course . It may also be used at rocky shore spots for a quick set up . I bought an Eagle Claw heavy duty holder for carp fishing  and the bottom has a small flat spot with a small hole . I checked the www for 30 minutes and can't find info why there's a small hole on the bottom of the rod . I may grind the bottom tip to make it sharp to penetrate hard soil easier .

Anyone know why there's a hole in the base ?

https://www.ymilletoz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=289036

10 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Not sure smerch. Maybe there’s a base for it that a bolt goes through. 

It could be that Tyler ....maybe used that way for boats .  I asked about it at my local tackle shop and she didn't know either ...Some of these coil rod holders are pointed to go through dirt , etc.  I can easily grind it to a sharp point or grind the flat bottom to a knife edge which would help keep it from turning .

11 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

That’s for the painting/dipping process. It hangs from that spot. 

Thanks Steve .  I should have known that !!  My first "real" job was working at ETF Tools in St.Catharines . They made a large variety of hand tools that were made from dropped forged steel and tempered properly for long lasting use . I did several jobs there and one was in the paint room dipping chisels into a long tray of paint . They were attached to a long magnet to hold them . Other tools were held by hooks or spray painted , like ball peen hammer heads .

They must paint the pointed ones another way .....The base is a little flat , about 1/8" wide which is good for sand or mud . I'll put an edge on the bottom or grind it down to a sharp point . I found a piece of 1/2" water pipe wrap fits nicely into the coil  ....good for those long skinny carp rod handles...

Thanks Steve , my yard is quite hard & I was able to push it in about 4" . I ground a small radius on it and it helped shove it deeper ....good to go !  Since the carp rod handle has no "cushion" I inserted a piece of 1/2" copper pipe insulation , tied it with some green wire and sprayed it with a little silicone to make it slide in & out easier ......Looking good !     B)

....tested & approved in the back yard ..

Coil Rod Holder.jpg

14 hours ago, DNorton said:

I actually picked up 2 rod holders for surf fishing in Florida which has a huge spike in it. Never thought to use it for carp fishing. 

Some of the spots I fish for carp have about a 45 degree slope that starts to drop off 10 to 20 ft. from shore ...like Gibby . Keeping the carp rod horizontal will cause the line to lay across the rocks . The rod holder should keep the line well over the drop off edge . When fighting a carp , holding the 12' rod high will help keep the line away from those rocks ,  and  need to get the fish away from the bottom of the slope , a little extra drag tension for that ....and the mono can take a little rock rub over braid line.....

I use a clamp on rod holder mounted on my bucket. I always carry a bucket to hold my bait, lead, and additional terminal tackle. The top of the holder can swivel in any direction including up or down depending what angle I want the rod to be sitting. For carry purposes no need to unscrew the holder it just pops off and the base remains screwed on. I carry lots of lead and stuff so the bucket stays put but if not just add water and it won’t move. I also carry a spike in the event the ground is on a big angle preventing the use of the bucket. 

Nice set up Steve ..... I  see you are using a bait runner reel ( like mine) ...what rod are you using  ?  

I hope to get out tomorrow ( cooler) and try my spike for carp  .  I  don't know if a fish alarm can be rigged with this set up (lol)

It’s an 8.5 Ugly Stik. I have some longer carp rods from the past but now that I use super braid I still get the casting distance I need with only 8.5 ft rod. It’s also easier when fishing alone to net the fish. As for the reel I have 4 bait runners and 2 bait casting setups I use. I should also mention the rod choice is also because I fish for channel cats and the longer rods don’t work where I fish most of the time. 

Archived