Changes / Mnr - 2013 Ontario Fishing Regulations

blairwelsh

RE: MNR FISHING REGULATIONS 2013

(changes from 2012)

This was just put up on the MNR SITE.

Outlining "Some" of the changes for the 2013 Fishing Regulations.

http://www.mnr.gov.o...prod_101636.pdf

This does not go into effect until: JAN 1, 2013 (2012 regs are in full force)

The FULL REGULATIONS will be published shortly. *Overview (Sneak peak) at some of the CHANGES

Recreational Fishing Regulations

What’s new for 2013?

Look for longer bass fishing seasons in Zones 17, 18 and 20, new walleye regulations for Lake Nipissing and Zone 18 and new muskellunge and rainbow trout regulations for Zone 20. Anglers are reminded to check the 2013 Fishing Regulations Summary (available January 1, 2013) to become familiar with the regulation changes before going fishing.

New Regulations for 2013

Ontario’s fishing regulations help to ensure that our world class fisheries remain healthy. New regulations included in the 2013 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary were developed to:

• provide additional angling opportunities where they are sustainable

• protect the sustainability of populations by limiting the number or size of fish that can be harvested, or by reducing the number of days during the year they can be targeted.

• protect the quality of valuable fisheries by regulating the size of fish that can be harvested.

Effective January 1, 2013, a new Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary will be available at authorized licence issuers, ServiceOntario locations and at the Ministry of Natural Resources’ website at

ontario.ca/fishing

This brochure highlights a number of regulation changes that anglers should be aware of before going fishing in 2013. It is for reference purposes only and does not include all regulations.

In 2008, the ministry began a long-term program to monitor the health of Ontario’s lakes. The program allows the ministry to better understand the current state of fish and other aquatic resources, identify stresses on these resources and report on changes over time. The program is already providing information critical for managing our fisheries more effectively. Across Ontario, more than 800 lakes have been sampled, providing information on fish abundance, growth rates, diet, contaminant levels and reproduction, as well as water quality, invasive species and angling effort.

Since 2008, the ministry has been working to increase public participation in fisheries management. Fisheries advisory councils help the ministry to develop fisheries management objectives and strategies, including regulatory options. Council members are doing a great public service by volunteering their time and providing advice to ensure Ontario’s fisheries provide benefits now and in the future.Many of the regulation changes included in the 2013 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary have been developed in cooperation with fisheries management zone advisory councils.

New Regulation Highlights

Zone Regulation Change for 2013*

10 Removed the requirement to designate which lakes fishers can dip-net for whitefish and herring.

10 Modified sanctuary descriptions for Government and Sawmill Creeks to allow rainbow smelt fishing opportunities.

11 New walleye limits for Lake Nipissing, S-2, C-1,

17/18/20 New longer bass season from the 3rd Saturday in June to December 15th.

18 Modified sanctuary dates on Sand Lake and Lingham Lake to harmonize with opening date of new bass season.

18 New walleye size-based regulation. S – 4, C -2; must be between 40-50 cm (15.7- 19.7 in.).

18 Removed 10 size-based exception regulations for walleye to harmonize regulations with the new zone-wide regulation.

18 Modified sanctuary dates on Crotch Lake and Mississippi River to harmonize with other sanctuaries in the zone.

20 Increase of the minimum size limit for muskellunge in Lake Ontario and the Lower Niagara to 137 cm (54 in).

20 New limits for rainbow trout (S-2, C-1).

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/260166.html

Fisheries Management Environmental Registry Notices

244259.jpg

The Environmental Registry contains public notices about environmental matters being proposed by all government ministries covered by the Environmental Bill of Rights. The Registry allows you to participate in decisions that affect the environment. Selected notices are available here.

Before they make these "tweaks" to the regs., it would be nice if they consulted with angling groups such as bass clubs & charters etc. to have some input into changing the regs . The rainbow limits will not do much to help the fish numbers since most are released . Those who eat them and would take their limits when the fishing is very productive might decide to release the smaller ones on "the chain" & keep the 10 pound fish . I have seen anglers with a dozen bass in their buckets (limit for 2) of all sizes from 7" to 5lbs. Legally , they could take 6 very large bass home each ......big difference in quantity of "meat" . Of course that idea goes with all fish with keep limits .

Blair ......thanks for listing the new changes , it would be worth having these changes highlighted in the reg. books with RED ink to make it easier to spot & making it clear to those who "didn't know" .

Smerchly I have to disagree. A lot of charters will come in with there limit of bows as they are the better eating fish of the lake. You figure almost every day charter boats are bringing in there limits of bows, that add up to a lot of fish being taken. I Hinkle that the bows should ha've a good bounce back in numbers.

The reduction in the limit of steelhead has to do with trying to establish a wild, self-sustaining population in Lake O...apparently the population has been steady for the past decade (rebounded after a decline in the 90s and has since stabilized).

Ethics play in the part of what one keeps. The whole, "Catch your limit, but limit your catch" comes to mind. Nobody needs to keep their limit of trophy sized fish.

I agree totally with that. To bad so many people don't. A lot of people on charter also think that keeping everything makes them get there monies worth. Yet they don't realize most of the time they can't keep fishing after they have there limit haha. That is where I think the charters are going to loose business.

"Catch your limit , but limit your catch" is a good ethical term , but unfortunately that doesn't always happen . I wasn't aware of the numbers of fish kept by charter boats , but because of the methods of fishing involved dragging a fish for a long distance while the boat is still in gear may hinder recovery of a released fish which may die later from exhaustion ? When I fished with a bud years ago , we would either put the boat in neutral , bring up the other rigger and fight the fish from the side of the boat . We thought the fish had a better chance to survive & it was fun to fight the fish without any clutter . And, when people pay $150 to charter fish , they tend to keep the fish to eat .

Another thought on fish limits........e.g....6 bass per day ,which means a person can keep 42 per week x number of family members ....@ 4 = 168 per week . This is extreme ,but possible and legal .....as long as the fish are given to other family members and friends . And there is no way to stop this from happening ......sorry for thinking far outside of the box haha ,but I have a tendency to do that . :crazy:

You can't keep fish everyday. That is why they have a possession limit. If the possession limit is 6 and you have 6 bass in your freezer at home, you are not supposed to take 6 the next day or you will be over your possession limit. I am not saying people follow this rule, but that is what the rule is there for. I am all for the reduction of the fish on the lake. It’s true many guys that fish the big water a lot play C&R, but every “non-angler” person I’ve ever met that has gone on a charter kept every fish they were allowed to keep. This will go a long way for sustaining our steelhead fishery! It’s too bad it took as long as it did to get the ridiculous limits reduced.

You can't keep fish everyday. That is why they have a possession limit. If the possession limit is 6 and you have 6 bass in your freezer at home, you are not supposed to take 6 the next day or you will be over your possession limit. I am not saying people follow this rule, but that is what the rule is there for.

I think smerch was referring to the fact that you're able to legally give away fish to another person (even if that person doesn't have a fishing license). That fish counts as a retained fish for YOUR daily limit, but since the fish isn't stored in YOUR freezer, the limit is reset the next day.

Completely counterintuitive...I know.

(I may be misinformed, or my interpretations of the regulations slightly inaccurate. If someone knows better than I, please correct!)

EDIT:

Actually, my interpretation of the rule makes absolutely no sense...I'm willing to bet that if the fish is stored (doesn't matter by who), it still counts as a retained fish for the angler who originally caught it.

I'll be writing to the MNR for some clarification regarding this issue, just to play it safe.

Several years ago the Ministry boasted that slot size was responsible for the recovery of the Walleye population in Lake Nipissing, now they`ve reduced limits to S-2, C-1. The price one pays for not having enough CO`s to enforce fishing regulations.

Several years ago the Ministry boasted that slot size was responsible for the recovery of the Walleye population in Lake Nipissing, now they`ve reduced limits to S-2, C-1. The price one pays for not having enough CO`s to enforce fishing regulations.

I hate to say it, it isn't a matter of people keeping to many fish which is ruining the numbers on Nippissing it is the Natives and there gill netting. This is not a racial comment at all, it is clearly the reason and them reducing the limits there isn't going to really do to much as the natives will keep taking to much fish and selling it feeding themselves and it will stay just as bad.

They didn't think of how much this is going to hurt any town around Nippissing, seeing as the area pretty well lives off there resorts and fishing. I know I sure as hell won't make any trips up there to catch 2 walleye. As said previously to. Once you have your limit you can no longer target that species. If I go there I don't want to fish for perch or anything other then walleye.

I rarely keep fish either. If I am going 6 hours to ice fish walleye I am going to eat a couple. I am not doing anything wrong by that. Also if you think a that the ice fisherman or any fisherman is taking as many as the natives are it isn't close.

Add to that the slot remains in effect... this is going to be BAD for resort owners... as the gill nets wont stop, both legal and illegal... I can see alot of Americans looking elsewhere to fish Walleye, as well as us as Canadians.

and as I heard elsewhere, this is going to put ALOT of pressure on other lakes up the 64/11 corridors..

The OMNR has this one seriously wrong.

G

Does anyone know how much the mnr consults with the people who are affected by these changes before they are law ? When local businesses complained the their city council about losing a lot of anglers to the region because the slot size was too restrictive . They made an abrupt change to the regs . and the camp owner at Mohawk Bay informed us of the change the same day. The new limits are still 4 eyes which can all be under 25" with one trophy over 25" which means we can keep those tasty 3-4 lb. eyes .

BTW , the ice fishing is great with plenty of 10 lb+ eyes & big cats ! The drive is about 3.5 hrs from St.Kitts .....and you need to be sure about ice conditions & be aware of the spots with currents . Hoping for lots of good ice this winter .

Before they make these "tweaks" to the regs., it would be nice if they consulted with angling groups such as bass clubs & charters etc. to have some input into changing the regs .

Smerch, after I posted the Original Info (changes to regs) ... I did a little more digging.

Found this: (and then .. updated post)

http://www.mnr.gov.o...age/260166.html

244259.jpg

The Environmental Registry contains public notices about environmental matters being proposed by all government ministries covered by the Environmental Bill of Rights. The Registry allows you to participate in decisions that affect the environment. Selected notices are available here.

I like to think that I do a "LOT" of searching and reading throughout the MNR & GOV publications.

This is the FIRST TIME that I ever saw this! (doesnt mean it "wasnt there")

I agree that there are many things that should be FORMATTED and ACCESSABLE in a far more CLEAR WAY!

*Never expecting perfection, that aint going to happen...

But you would think that at the very least: (money and resources could be "better" spent on)

- Notification

- Education

- Enforcement

Without these, what is the POINT of HAVING any REGULATIONS in the first place?

My concern with this, is that these new changes only target recreational anglers and not the commercial net operators.

Seems like they are targeting the wrong group. Nipissing's walleye population will continue to decline and perhaps not be able to recover without additional stocking.. :(

I have a vested interest in the Nipissing fishery as I do fish it alot. and over the years the fishing has got worse and worse.

This is bad new for the lodge owners... very bad.

G

Thanks for the updates Blair & Gerritt . It looks like the people were properly informed including the tourist operators . They have no choice but to reduce limits & keep the slot size . But as Gerritt said , netters need to join the club or the fishery will collapse .

Smerch, after I posted the Original Info (changes to regs) ... I did a little more digging.

Found this: (and then .. updated post)

http://www.mnr.gov.o...age/260166.html

244259.jpg

I like to think that I do a "LOT" of searching and reading throughout the MNR & GOV publications.

This is the FIRST TIME that I ever saw this! (doesnt mean it "wasnt there")

I agree that there are many things that should be FORMATTED and ACCESSABLE in a far more CLEAR WAY!

*Never expecting perfection, that aint going to happen...

But you would think that at the very least: (money and resources could be "better" spent on)

- Notification

- Education

- Enforcement

Without these, what is the POINT of HAVING any REGULATIONS in the first place?

I totally agree. You think that the Government and MNR could at least afford a commercial or two like the Water safety ones now in effect. You would think that they could at least run them on the Snet's, TSN, CBC and any fishing show. Notification is key. Even if it was a reminder to check your regs for updates. Obviously a link to the MNR online regs and possibly a "Things you might not know" about species specific issues and facts.

Enforcement......I have no answer for that. The government seems to be determined to allocate those funds elswhere. There was a time when I guess by dumb luck I had been checked for liscence more than three times in two months a year ago. I was almost convinced that it was some kind of blitz but know I just believe coincidence. I haven't been checked once since then and I frequently fish both high traffic and more secluded areas.

Archived