Topwater problems

jay33

Ha, I know what you mean about the Gulls. Not a good situation when they get tangled up in yer hooks. Reminds of fishing at the power house in Queenston 50 or more years ago. I was a young lad and I found a chrome finished flat fish lure on the ground. I picked it up and a black man told I would only catch Seagulls with it. I scoffed and sure enough..........first cast the darn thing turned upside down and wiggled on the surface. A Gull had it within seconds and the fight was on. It ended without too much damage to the Gull, my pride on the other hand.....well...............Sorry, I can't help you out with your problem but I couldn't resist sharing a memory..............................Daniel

Might have to come up with a new recipe?! Ha.  Have caught a few over the years that way and it is a pain. Remember catching one when I was a kid on a Rapala and recall it was like flying a kite! Boogaloo, thats funny. I remember fishing the Power House too back in the 80's with a Chrome Jointed Beno, I had it sitting out in the outflow and a seagull got tangled in my line. I brought it in and was nice enough to untangle it and it stuck its beak halfway through my hand in gratitude, got a nice infection from that! Sounds like the same fellow that stole that same lure out my tackle box later that day, no kidding. He walked by asked what it was and next thing I know it is no longer in my tray? Arggh

I fish mostly with deeper diving stick bait, or heavy spoon, big spinners, or 1/2 oz jigheads, retreiving slowly, occasionally pausing , ensuring lure stay as close to the bottom as possible, without getting  snag, that is how I normally catch most species of fish. Very effective at Niagara, catching Salmon or trout . Fish might be surfacing, but most feeding fish stays lower to not have to fight the strong surface current all the time.   

Archived