Eating catfish

Jimmy9_1

Does anyone on here eat catfish they catch? I can remember my grandfather catching and cleaning bullheads (i think thats what they were) that he used to catch in Crystal Beach. I remember them being tasty. Fun to catch either way regardless.

I have ate them before they are very good but i would only eat them in the spring when the water is still cold as the water warms up they didn't taste as good that was in the grand river it might be different from the lake but still love to fish for them at night

On 3/31/2018 at 11:36 AM, Jimmy9_1 said:

Does anyone on here eat catfish they catch? I can remember my grandfather catching and cleaning bullheads (i think thats what they were) that he used to catch in Crystal Beach. I remember them being tasty. Fun to catch either way regardless.

Yup!! Would get them at the boat club at Pt. Abino in Spring. Reddish meat that would move around when in the frying pan. Entertaining and delicious..................Daniel

I used to buy the cat fish fillets at Tops across the ditch . They were covered in a Cajun mixture , and very tasty .  I have fried up a few small channel cats from local waters ....soaked fillets in salt water ,  rolled in Italian bread crumbs with Cajun spice added and fried in oil .  As mentioned , cold water preferred .

bullheads and Channels are great...I"ve also tried Drum...very sweet but make sure you remove the dark meat on the side of the filet...I usually bring home 1 or 2 when fishing is slow....check out the fish eating guide...not very many contaminates which is good to know ..also have been eating the occasional sucker for over 50 years and they fry up very welll..very sweet as well..always had problems with bones until I watched a few videos on Youtube  ...Try them--You'll like them...tried a small carp (about 2lbs) once...tasted like no flavor at all...

Just Food For Thought...check online for recipes

I always wondered why Carp never fulfilled its intended purpose when introduced into the U.S. in the 1800s.  Perhaps it couldn't compete in flavour with catfish, which would also be available to folks back in those days?

I know once refrigeration was invented and saltwater fish became available to everyone, the Carp were probably more bother to prepare and not as flavourful as ocean fish.  But all the same, properly prepared, as they are by many Europeans, carp can be quite good.      

On 4/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, outdoorrick said:

bullheads and Channels are great...I"ve also tried Drum...very sweet but make sure you remove the dark meat on the side of the filet...I usually bring home 1 or 2 when fishing is slow....check out the fish eating guide...not very many contaminates which is good to know ..also have been eating the occasional sucker for over 50 years and they fry up very welll..very sweet as well..always had problems with bones until I watched a few videos on Youtube  ...Try them--You'll like them...tried a small carp (about 2lbs) once...tasted like no flavor at all...

Just Food For Thought...check online for recipes

I've seen lots of people keep Drum, so I know they were being eaten. But the sucker is a surprise to me.

Small channel cats in the spring are good although I rarely keep a one for some reason. As for the drum I know a fishing lodge owner on Lake Nippissing that asked us to bring him in a drum if we got one for dinner. He preferred it over the walleye that the rest of us were eating.

me and my fishing buddy got into a mess of drum one day so we decided to keep them .we fillet them all and took back to the camp site at long beach and passed them out to anyone that wanted fresh fish for supper . well the next day they all were thanking me again and saying it was the best fish they ever ate . but as far as they knew they were eating bass . never did tell them it was drum . td

When eating drum or channel cat , like most fish ,  the larger ones taste stronger (fishier), and the warmer water also affects the taste and texture . I prefer walleye in the 2-4 lb range as well . Clean water  ....of course .   I guess you could compare moose meat the same way ....an old bull needs a little extra chewing ! :D

My good neighbour  smoked up some small bows yesterday ....gave me a fillet to enjoy ( o'boy !! )  :wub:

Archived