NEW ROD !!

smerchly

Well .....almost new ....looks new ......

With all the extra time on our hands , mostly because the weather stinks , I decided to clean up my 1980's 8' salmon custom rod , built by Don Furman . I have been using it for carp lately in places where it's shallow and runs are short . ...using a 4000 Stradic reel .  I cleaned up the rod and the rubber composite handle with hot water and soap . After drying for a few hours I sprayed the rod with a clear coat and sprayed the handle with tire foam and let it dry as with tires . I put my smaller size carp reel on the rod and rigger her up !!  My "brand new" rod is ready for action ........very soon ! Has anyone gave their fishing rods a "refurb"  ?  

8ft rod recoat.jpg

24 minutes ago, smerchly said:

With all the extra time on our hands , mostly because the weather stinks , I decided to clean up my 1980's 8' salmon custom rod , built by Don Furman . I have been using it for carp lately in places where it's shallow and runs are short . ...using a 4000 Stradic reel .  I cleaned up the rod and the rubber composite handle with hot water and soap . After drying for a few hours I sprayed the rod with a clear coat and sprayed the handle with tire foam and let it dry as with tires . I put my smaller size carp reel on the rod and rigger her up !!  My "brand new" rod is ready for action ........very soon ! Has anyone gave their fishing rods a "refurb"  ?  

8ft rod recoat.jpg

New? That thing looks ancient lol

Great job on the refurb smerch , looks mint now. 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

8ft rod recoat.jpg

Nice when you can make something old, new again!

No numbers on the rod Dave , just my name and "Donald's Custom Rods"

After reading your link ,  my rod is just a simple old relic with no fancy  work involved , but it has withstood the perils of time (mostly in my damp basement) .  Building rods today is an art with so much more material to choose .  I would have enjoyed getting into fly fishing , building my own rods and flies , etc. but I chose to do some taxidermy as a hobby .....These days , having a house and yard keeps me busy enough with the "time outs" to wet a line .   :Gonefishing:

Had a few rodbuilding projects laying around the house I got done having the extra time on my hands. Few guides to replace and rewrap etc. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

That's a great looking combo, Smerch!  Nice job.  It has an endearing look, kinda like a vintage auto that's been restored.

Thanks Mike ...That old 8' rod has a lively tip  and it handled the carp well yesterday . It's a multi -purpose rod with old school thinking .....channel cats , pike , large walleye .....yes , it's had some good days on Erie fishing those obese eyes ! 

16 hours ago, Jeremy778 said:

About old rods...

Do you guys service your reels?  How often?  Whats involved?

Did a bunch of mine over this quarantine.  Take apart, good cleaning of all the old gunk. Qtips and clean rags. Than reel grease on gears, oil on bearings. 

Archived