In-shore trout casting....how early?

Bass-turd

Hey everyone, with these warmer temperatures I've been wondering if its time to put the ice fishing rods away and start dreaming of soft water opportunities. I've always loved casting for trout in the spring but was curious just how early these fish can be targeted from shore. What's the earliest in the year any of you have gone casting for trout with any kind of success?

Much appreciated

BT

Just watered the dog  and took a flashlight out to check the bare spots on the grass ....sure enough I saw a dew worm !  The sun warms that area up quickly .  But it ain't over yet !!  Mr.Jack Frost is on his way to remind us ....don't put your woolies away yet !   

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

Just watered the dog  and took a flashlight out to check the bare spots on the grass ....sure enough I saw a dew worm !  The sun warms that area up quickly .  But it ain't over yet !!  Mr.Jack Frost is on his way to remind us ....don't put your woolies away yet !   

I don't know Bill.................I think that we're in for an early spring...........Maybe just wishful thinking, but I think that the worst is over..................

sun-813711_1920.jpg

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

I usually give until Easter weekend for that one final dumping.

We have an early Easter this year , I hope you are right . We have had snow storms on St. Patties Day ....and as a soothsayer once said .."Beware the ides of March" 

50 minutes ago, Bass-turd said:

I eat too much food on Easter weekend it usually gives me more then one major dumping 

Happy Dump Day Bass-turd ....hope it's a BIG one !!    :rolleyes:

Just a note on the weather .....high NW winds today , getting colder for the next week ....more ice in the making .....  There has been some heavy run off ,  be extra cautious ....

Trout fishing from shore?.....hmmmm....you already missed 4 months of it around Niagara...lol 

On 2/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, Bass-turd said:

Hey everyone, with these warmer temperatures I've been wondering if its time to put the ice fishing rods away and start dreaming of soft water opportunities. I've always loved casting for trout in the spring but was curious just how early these fish can be targeted from shore. What's the earliest in the year any of you have gone casting for trout with any kind of success?

Much appreciated

BT

You can start now for sure. It’s easier if the shore is ice free. Rocks/shoreline get very slippery with snow and ice on them.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got out today in the evening for about an hour or so, weather was absolutely amazing. Went 0 for 1, had what looked like either a laker or brown on for about 15 seconds and unfortunately it shook me off. It seemed a pretty decent size, was pulling hard, nice to have that feeling in the rod again, gonna try again soon. Fish was hooked on a 5 inch smelt imitating minnowbait, nothing touched the cleos.  

Archived