Giant Ships

smerchly

A container ship got stuck in mud at the Suez Canal  yesterday . It's amazing how mammoth these ships are ....too large for our canals .

This one is 224,000 tons and is 500 meters long !   .....probably carrying enough cargo to fill 1000 Walmarts !  

container ship.PNG

With large ships there is very little steerage control in strong winds. On the open sea, best option is to put your bow into the wind and ride it out.  Not possible in a seaway. That is why the Welland canal has frequent shutdowns.

1 minute ago, bigugli said:

That is why the Welland canal has frequent shutdowns.

I have seen some ships blown against a bank on the canal .  Their brakes are a little slow as well , they have been known to take out bridges .  I suppose their anchors don't help in canal waters .

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

I have seen some ships blown against a bank on the canal .  Their brakes are a little slow as well , they have been known to take out bridges .  I suppose their anchors don't help in canal waters .

Even riding at anchor with cable run out, a vessel still moves/swings with wind and current.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

Even riding at anchor with cable run out, a vessel still moves/swings with wind and current.

I'll have to tell them having another anchor at the stern works well for me Bruce .....B)

On 3/24/2021 at 10:21 PM, smerchly said:

There are certain areas they can't drop anchor in the canal due to cables or gas lines running under it.

11 minutes ago, Snags said:

There are certain areas they can't drop anchor in the canal due to cables or gas lines running under it.

There are signs posted where the cables run  , same thing at Quinte  at the north end of Long Reach where hydro cables run on the bottom ....sign says  " Do not anchor"  .    (especially a chain anchor line)   :rolleyes:

When I was on board HMCS Assiniboine we were blown against the side of the Kiel Canal in Germany, I lost my cap there as well. LOL............................Daniel

Ship is still stuck there , crazy !!  They are saying over  $10 B. in goods is being blocked .

It's another 20,000 km longer to go around the tip of Africa .  

Our stores will soon have bare shelves .....   :wacko: ......  wonder if those ships are burning fuel while anchored  ? 

I have to wonder if there is an anchor point on the opposite shore that the ships anchor could be secured to and the ships anchor recovery system could help pull it off the bank???..................Daniel

3 hours ago, boogaloo said:

I have to wonder if there is an anchor point on the opposite shore that the ships anchor could be secured to and the ships anchor recovery system could help pull it off the bank???..................Daniel

Actually the other end is sitting against the other bank!

On 3/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, boogaloo said:

When I was on board HMCS Assiniboine we were blown against the side of the Kiel Canal in Germany, I lost my cap there as well. LOL............................Daniel

That's going back a good while back.

That's going back a good while back.

1969 was an exciting time. LOL

43 minutes ago, boogaloo said:

We were driving north on a fishing trip listening to the first moon landing in 69 

And the biggest outdoor music festival took place in Woodstock in 69 .

Smerch was a 26 year old pup ......:bravo:

10 hours ago, boogaloo said:

69 was the last Christmas I saw the Bonnie. My uncle was a matelot lifer with her. One of the tallest fellows in the fleet. "Lofty",

On 3/26/2021 at 9:34 PM, smerchly said:

Ship is still stuck there , crazy !!  They are saying over  $10 B. in goods is being blocked .

It's another 20,000 km longer to go around the tip of Africa .  

Our stores will soon have bare shelves .....   :wacko: ......  wonder if those ships are burning fuel while anchored  ? 

Most of our Chinese made stuff comes across the Pacific to the west coast, the Chinese junk for Europe would come that route. The European Dollaramas are in big trouble 🤣

China would naturally use the easiest route to get the goods here . That's a lot of trucking to get the goods here from the west coast  ( also by trains & planes )..... When the ships do the Suez route  , they could go to Halifax , etc to supply the east coast ?  We are dependent on China whether we like it or not & they have the bucks to invest here .

This article from Dec.2019 shows how much we are involved with China as the East coast wants to do much more business and travelling via air travel . I was hoping  the "west" would show China we are not happy with them and start trading with other countries more . 

This thing called climate change is a farce to me when we could eliminate all this shipping of goods half way around the planet because it's "cheaper" . The amount of fuel burned doesn't matter it seems.......

...this is just a drop in the $$$ bucket .....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/travel-tourism-china-airline-nova-scotia-1.5385525

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

The European Dollaramas are in big trouble 

We would also be in big trouble if we stopped buying from China ....Dollarama , Walmart and "Canadian" Tire , etc etc etc......  

2 hours ago, bigugli said:

69 was the last Christmas I saw the Bonnie. My uncle was a matelot lifer with her. One of the tallest fellows in the fleet. "Lofty",

The Bonnie was moored right under the Angus MacDonald bridge, one night I had a bit of an argument with another Matelot on the AM bridge and was worried I might end up as "ships company" on the Bonnie. It was quite a drop.

5 hours ago, boogaloo said:

The Bonnie was moored right under the Angus MacDonald bridge, one night I had a bit of an argument with another Matelot on the AM bridge and was worried I might end up as "ships company" on the Bonnie. It was quite a drop.

The fleet was a sight to see all lit up at Christmas. We had the highest house on the opposing shore, so we always had a perfect view of the harbour once the fog rolled out.

The fleet was a sight to see all lit up at Christmas. We had the highest house on the opposing shore, so we always had a perfect view of the harbour once the fog rolled out.

So you lived in Dartmouth??

30 minutes ago, boogaloo said:

So you lived in Dartmouth??

I only lived in Dartmouth, and Oyster Pond, a month or so at a time when Bonnie, and my uncle, was home. There were more than a couple navy families on Dustan and the street below.  

2 hours ago, bigugli said:

I only lived in Dartmouth, and Oyster Pond, a month or so at a time when Bonnie, and my uncle, was home. There were more than a couple navy families on Dustan and the street below.  

I have some fond memories of Dartmouth and the Eastern Passage. Wonderful friendly people there.

Archived