gardening season begins

bigugli

On 4/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, Tyler0420 said:

looks like you have a lil more work then me Bruce. 

We will have some 10,000 vegetable plants coming due for retail next month. That's on top of our field planting

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

We will have some 10,000 vegetable plants coming due for retail next month. That's on top of our field planting

Now my 3 8x4’ beds don’t seem like so much work.  That’s one big operation Bruce. 

12 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Now my 3 8x4’ beds don’t seem like so much work.  That’s one big operation Bruce. 

We transplanted 60 flats of 4" pots this morning. 900 more tomato plants.

I have my 3 tomato plants growing from my own seed  , and will plant 2  rows of green & yellow beans  as I had last year .  A couple of basil plants would be fine too....

And George is a little pea pickin sweetheart !   B)

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

I have my 3 tomato plants growing from my own seed  , and will plant 2  rows of green & yellow beans  as I had last year .  A couple of basil plants would be fine too....

I'll have basil some time after may 15th.

3 minutes ago, bigugli said:

I'll have basil some time after may 15th.

Thanks Bruce , I'll get a few plants from you .  I love my toasted  tomato , bacon , basil sandwiches !   

I hope I'm not overstepping here.

To answer everyone, there are 2 ways.   You can message me and I can bring the plants you want to my house for p/up.

We will also be set up for a few Fridays and Saturdays on Hwy #8 tween Vineland and Beamsville at Hipple's produce stand.

First of our plants won't be ready til the first of May.  ( Unless that snow hits that they are talking about)

Not all plants are available at the same time as some, like cukes and beans, need a warmer soil temperature

Don’t think you are overstepping at all!!

Site members should support a member who has a business, especially in these pandemic times...neighbours helping neighbours.

i’m just not into gardening anymore since we moved here...lot too small, and the neighbourhood rabbits would just eat everything I planted anyway!

You can grow a few plants of your choice in containers ....from tomatoes to spices ....just need to water them more. My  lunch box tomatoes I planted from last years seeds are doing very well , about 8" tall now . They were so prolific last year we couldn't keep up to one plant !

I always had to cover my young plants with dollar store wire baskets until they were large enough that the birds and animals didn't eat them .  I only need a few tomato plants to keep us happy these days .

20 minutes ago, bigugli said:

George's row of peas survived the snow just fine.

I lost a tomato plant , just wilted up and croaked (inside the sun room) ...ask George what happened to it ....  :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 lunch box plants after one died , all doing fine in 4" pots , until yesterday ....they are all dying for some reason ...maybe the filtered tap water , too wet , too dry .....I planted more seeds today , have plenty of rain water to use .....

I may have to hit you up for a few plants Bruce .....I like bush  beef stake toms  ....easy to grow , tough and prolific .

I checked my thumbs , no green left .....   :dunno:

35 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I have 4 lunch box plants after one died , all doing fine in 4" pots , until yesterday ....they are all dying for some reason ...maybe the filtered tap water , too wet , too dry .....I planted more seeds today , have plenty of rain water to use .....

I may have to hit you up for a few plants Bruce .....I like bush  beef stake toms  ....easy to grow , tough and prolific .

I checked my thumbs , no green left .....   :dunno:

Most plants don't like overwatering, especially in early season.  We allow our pots to dry out before watering.  We also torture our plants to push growth. Forces the plant to extend out their roots in search of water/nutrients.

Ah...probably over watering then ....

The store bought potting soil to start the seeds seems to dry quickly . I have a soil moister meter which showed me the soil dried in about about 3 days . 

I have grown veggies for over 50 years and had better luck 30 -40 years ago .